Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Gifting Miles

To preface, I searched through the forum to find the answer and if I missed it I apologize.

Ideally I would give 200k miles to a friend as a wedding present so he can pair that up with his about 70k miles to go to europe and back as a honeymoon.

Is United capping the amount of miles in gifting? When I went to do something similar for a different friend I was rejected but they were on an Around the World ticket through Star Alliance.

The other option is for me to just redeem the two award tickets in their names and call it a day but I'd prefer to help the buddy out as this was one the one thing he was supposed to take care of in the entire wedding/honeymoon endeavor.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:30 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sajix2
The other option is for me to just redeem the two award tickets in their names and call it a day but I'd prefer to help the buddy out as this was one the one thing he was supposed to take care of in the entire wedding/honeymoon endeavor.
The transfer fees are just horrible on this

Print out self made "gift certificate" and make the booking yourself @:-)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Good call!!! ^
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If he took care of it by entrusting you to book them (and hence save every the massive transfer fees), then all is well.

Since status no longer transfers, it really doesn't matter for any other aspect but change/cancellation fees who booked it.
May as well book it on your own.

If memory serves, US-EU in C is 115 RT, per person (140RT on Star). So you may have to pony up 230K, and have him owe you the 30K.

Or if booking on a Star Alliance partner, book three out of the four total legs (210K) and he'll book the last one on his miles.
That requires some good coordination of booking/placing flights on hold.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
As EmailKid advised, just tell them, ask for the info and make the reservation under your account to avoid the $miley guy taking advantage of your gift.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid

Thanks for the feedback albeit it's lame of UAL. It's unfortunate they won't get to use GS perks on the trip but hopefully sitting in coach will make them happy. He's a good friend but not good enough for business.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sajix2
It's unfortunate they won't get to use GS perks on the trip but hopefully sitting in coach will make them happy.
Inheriting perks by booking from a higher status member went away a couple or so months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.