Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

One UA employee per 20+ check-in kiosks? (SFO kettle class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One UA employee per 20+ check-in kiosks? (SFO kettle class)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by endrond
Smisek would say "It's a ballet. It takes so many people coming together...."

Like Jeff has ever used a kiosk in his life .
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
And it's pointless in the Premier area at SFO...since the contractors have all the orange *G priority tags anyways
Yeah, I know. Insane.

1. Check in at kiosk.
2. Get luggage tag.
3. Hunt for elusive vendor
4. Checks ID/status level and affixes orange sticker and bag tag
5. Go drop off (and presumably another ID check)

vs.
1. Line up
2. Do 1-5 all at once.

How is the former more efficient?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
Yeah, I know. Insane.

1. Check in at kiosk.
2. Get luggage tag.

vs.
1. Line up
2. Do 1-5 all at once.

Agree 100%. I hate the SFO kiosks, and never use them. I walk right up to an agent. (I'm usually on the overnight, so less of a crowd).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
This would have been a great opportunity for a Twitter post with a photo just to see what UA had to say about their excellent customer service.
Not disputing the fact that they are understaffed, but if said picture was taken then we would be hearing about an incident where the TA confronted the OP and demanded they delete the picture.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
Just as a point of reference, AS allows you to print your luggage tag at home and will even mail you a nice little case to put it in. They even give you 1,000 RDMs (up to 5x) for doing so. I have not used it yet, though -- not sure if they still required you to show ID and wait in line.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:21 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Anyone who attaches their own baggage tag is asking for trouble. If you don't do it right and it comes off and you lose your bag, guess who's responsible? Not the airline, that's for sure. I always refuse to attach mine and get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ryman554
Yeah, I know. Insane.

1. Check in at kiosk.
2. Get luggage tag.

vs.
1. Line up
2. Do 1-5 all at once.

Actually, steps 3-5 can be merged at the drop off area 3 feet away. I just hand them the tag, and they stick it on for me, along with the priority tag.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Even at premier checkin at SFO, the two agents I've interacted with in the past couple of months have been only on the job 1-2 weeks.

I've been traveling SFO-IAH-EZE, so that it's necessary to get passport/reciprocity fee (for Argentina) checked before a boarding pass can be issued. Newly trained agents need to read through the TIMATIC entry before they'll continue with the transaction.

It's even worse at the Kiosk, because you actually have to find an agent to read the TIMATIC entry on the little screen. I had one agent actually refuse to continue with the Kiosk authorization unless I showed WRITTEN proof of return or onward travel from Argentina (despite the fact that I had a return flight in 2 weeks on the same PNR ...).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Here at SFO now. From counter 26-50, I see 3 UA agents, but only two are helping passengers. The other one is leaning up against the baggage sizer. There are at least 5 passengers in front of each kiosk.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kluau88
Here at SFO now. From counter 26-50, I see 3 UA agents, but only two are helping passengers. The other one is leaning up against the baggage sizer. There are at least 5 passengers in front of each kiosk.
That sounds like par for the course. The staff cuts at their hub's are a joke - you can't even count on an improved experience at a home base like SFO now.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
When I first used this "service" it honestly pissed me off.

Somehow UA has outsourced a job to their customers and they are trying to convince us it's an enhancement. You can piss on me but don't tell me it's rain.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I doubt that.

1. They need to weigh the bags so they can collect overweight fees if necessary. That seems to be the primary function of the agents. No way UA is dodging that ancillary revenue opportunity.

2. I believe they need to check ID to take a checked bag.
#1 definitely still true.

#2 - On the last (international) trip out of IAH I had to do the self-bag thing. Nobody checked my id during the bag drop off. Of course TSA checked my Id.

And on the whole self-bagging thing, they were clueless about the priority tag too. Lots of confusion when I asked how does my Priority Tag get added?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by RockinPete
When I first used this "service" it honestly pissed me off.

Somehow UA has outsourced a job to their customers and they are trying to convince us it's an enhancement. You can piss on me but don't tell me it's rain.
+1
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 1P
Anyone who attaches their own baggage tag is asking for trouble. If you don't do it right and it comes off and you lose your bag, guess who's responsible? Not the airline, that's for sure. I always refuse to attach mine and get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me.
I disagree. The airline still accepts the bag. If they don't like the tagging, they have the opportunity to reject it or redo it at that time.

Have we heard of any incidents (UA or other carrier) disclaiming liability on a self-tag?

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
It's even worse at the Kiosk, because you actually have to find an agent to read the TIMATIC entry on the little screen. I had one agent actually refuse to continue with the Kiosk authorization unless I showed WRITTEN proof of return or onward travel from Argentina (despite the fact that I had a return flight in 2 weeks on the same PNR ...).
Tell them to print the PNR so you have the proof they need. That will force them behind the counter.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RockinPete
+1

Before you know it "We will have the opportunity to upgrade our travel experience by loading our own bag on the plane: Making sure your luggage is safe and there when you arrive so you can get the most out of your trip."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.