Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-EWR PS yet if on Biz First 752?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
To get back to the OP's question, the part of ps service I value is the nice pillow and thick quilt that comes with the flat bed. Will the OP's flight feature instead "coach" grade bedding?

Not so many years ago I was on a nighttime domestic leg that featured unexpected 757 international equipment. United didn't bother to provide the companion international bedding. This was one of the first moments I became aware that the new United could be really unclear on the concept.

Having flown transcons on most routes, I get it that United sees a hierarchy of markets. This view should stay in the board room, it is unbelievably stupid to tip one's hand here, as if the lesser market natives won't notice. Catchers frame pitches in baseball. If one actually has decent equipment, framing it as world class is the easy part. This was what was so stunningly stupid about boarding a flight with beds but not pillows.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Doubt it. Sour grapes by low-level employees who won't likely be rehired.

Most of those GS are corporate deals for global connections.
Yes, I'm sure you know better than the employees on the ground

I guess you don't realize too that there are domestic GS'...JFK would be one prime station given the premium TCON traffic.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:24 am
Suspended

As Often1 as pointed out, using ground employees' opinions have a few pitfalls :

1. Limited sample size and anecdotal nature of evidence
2. Confirmation bias
3. Personal situation (e.g. possibility of layoff) skewing opinions

Any large organization worth their salt should be using cold, hard data to make business decisions.

CAPA actually supports UA's decision :

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-market-232380

"United’s moves in the New York market may look as if it is ceding some key transcontinental routes to its competitors. But the reality is the dynamics have changed significantly on those routes during the last couple of years and moving the flights where they have the potential to turn a profit is the right decision."
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Globetrotter2015
CAPA actually supports UA's decision :

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-market-232380

"United’s moves in the New York market may look as if it is ceding some key transcontinental routes to its competitors. But the reality is the dynamics have changed significantly on those routes during the last couple of years and moving the flights where they have the potential to turn a profit is the right decision."
If this were not UA making the decision, that analysis would make sense.

But this fits in the larger context of cutting quality, alienating employees and customers, fleeing competition, and retreating to captive hubs. Which leads to further retrenchment. It's a vicious cycle.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
But this fits in the larger context of cutting quality, alienating employees and customers, fleeing competition, and retreating to captive hubs. Which leads to further retrenchment. It's a vicious cycle.
Speaking of fleeing competition, nothing like DL cancelling EWR-LHR and LAX-LHR and SFO-NRT from UA hubs. (spare me the JV mumbo jumbo)

Or UA announcing LAX-MEL and DL/VA immediately fleeing to LAX-BNE.

If this were not UA making the decision, that analysis would make sense.
So you're saying you're smarter than both UA and CAPA ?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Globetrotter2015
So you're saying you're smarter than both UA and CAPA ?
I've seen enough of what's happened over the past three years to have a pretty good sense where this is heading

And I'm not even one of the UA bashers around here.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
What makes you so sure that those who used JFK in the past won't start using EWR?
Some will undoubtedly. And it's likely also that some won't. So for the latter group, they'll switch to another airline, which is why the other airlines are increasing capacity. UA clearly think that the proportion who won't switch is small and containable (and within the capacity reduction that is happening).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Also note that there is a TON of award space available in biz on the EWR ps flights right now. Literally every single day(except around XMAS) has multiple flights that have multiple seats available.

Not sure why this is the case, as I was checking the biz availability on JFK-PS before the move from JFK to EWR was announced, and the availability was terrible even 6+ months out.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TJtv
Also note that there is a TON of award space available in biz on the EWR ps flights right now. Literally every single day(except around XMAS) has multiple flights that have multiple seats available.

Not sure why this is the case, as I was checking the biz availability on JFK-PS before the move from JFK to EWR was announced, and the availability was terrible even 6+ months out.
I'm guessing it's not intentional...will evaporate soon enough
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

I'm fully taking advantage of this new change

Jan16 : EWR-LAX RPU'ed to confirmed R space
Feb16 : SFO-EWR in IN award
May16 : SFO-EWR on UPDI fare for $388 one way (as part of larger itinerary)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Doubt it. Sour grapes by low-level employees who won't likely be rehired.

Most of those GS are corporate deals for global connections.
What are you talking about?

There were no connections out of JFK. Those originating in JFK weren't flying to Asia on UA as they didn't need to connect through LAX/SFO. So that leaves Oz. Do you really think the number of flyers from JFK to Oz was all that high?

UA didn't think so or they would have increased the number of flights from EWR to LAX/SFO. UA didn't.

JFK-LAX/SFO was O/D traffic. The vast majority will be gone.

Last year when I did my last PS flight out of JFK, I told the agent I was leaving for AA. She told me, "Yeah, I hear that a lot."
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
If UA was truly concerned about international connections through EWR from LAX and SFO, they could have gone lay flat years ago. They didn't.
The yields on the O/D traffic also didn't tank until JetBlue introduced Mint and rewrote the fares a year ago. Once the dedicated p.s. stopped minting cash (pun intended) the company comes up with a different way to maximize profit with the new considerations.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:25 pm

Should have phrased that more clearly.

Current ps frequency will more than double, since all flights EWR-SFO/LAX will now be ps. Overall frequency on EWR-SFO/LAX will stay more or less the same.

Current dedicated ps fleet cannot support the increased ps frequency that will come with this change. Not even close, in fact, since number of "ps" flights is essentially doubling.

Also should be clear I think this is a terrible move and that ps will ultimately disappear.
Forecast: There will be horror stores later from UA forum complaining about downgauging/downupgrade from PMUA-752 PS to any other aircrafts like the DL threads do.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...delta-one.html
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by TJtv

Almost every time brand new flights are added to the schedule I see quite a bit of both award and upgrade availability. Sometimes it lasts a few weeks, sometimes less. I suspect it lasts until the computers can make an estimate of how many seats will be sold or someone manually takes away the inventory, as frequently flights will go in one day from PN9, R9 to something like PN4, R0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.