Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Attendant Rant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
And United is able to improve.

Employees are human beings. They are not machines, much to the chagrin of SMI/J. You beat them down long enough, as UA has done particularly with its flight attendants, and you have to expect them to vent.

I am not saying employees should be wantonly bashing their employers, but under the current circumstances, I fully understand it.
What has UA done to beat down the FA's?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BB2220
What has UA done to beat down the FA's?
Really?

Start with no joint contract since the merger. There is plenty after that as well as COdbaUA tries to force the CO work rules on pmUA flight attendants.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by sogboulder
It depends. If she was speaking to another FA and just overheard by the OP, this might possibly be "protected concerted activity" under the NLRA.
There are some protections that the NLRA puts forward related to organizing and other protected activity. It is admittedly a grey area. But given this was a public space, and they were talking very loudly, and the items they were discussing had nothing to do with organizing, pay, etc, I tend to think this would not be covered and the offending FA could be punished. Given that Delta baggage handler who was fired last December for doing MUCH less that what this FA did, I would say they at least are at high risk if UA wanted to take action.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:01 pm

Really?

Start with no joint contract since the merger. There is plenty after that as well as COdbaUA tries to force the CO work rules on pmUA flight attendants.
The fact that the AFA has made no proposal is hardly the fault of the company. As for the "forcing" of work rules, this has never been done.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:05 pm

The recent wording from the AFA worries me ....

http://unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=12297

United Flight Attendants know how to mobilize. We have spent much of the last two decades fighting to defend our Contract, in bankruptcy court, on the picket line, and through Member mobilization and public pressure. And, we’ve taken action recently together on major international trade issues that threaten our jobs while at the same time working to advance issues such as meaningful improvements to federal rest requirements that help fight fatigue. We know how to mobilize and we can do it quickly with great impact. We need each of you to be ready to act.

We have devoted countless hours in these negotiations doing the painstaking work of putting together very different Flight Attendant contracts and blending very different cultures. As we approach the end of these negotiations we are joining with our CAL and CMI counterparts to pressure United management to do the right thing.
Hoping its just political talk.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:10 pm

The fact that the AFA has made no proposal is hardly the fault of the company. As for the "forcing" of work rules, this has never been done.
You apparently don't appreciate everything that has occurred since the merger.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:35 pm

Really?

Its both sides that are doing this. CO FAs don't want to give up their work rules or contractual language and UA FAs don't want to give up their work rules and contractual language.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Its both sides that are doing this. CO FAs don't want to give up their work rules or contractual language and UA FAs don't want to give up their work rules and contractual language.
True, but this management is happy with the CO work rules. It is trying to force those rules onto pmUA flight attendants (as you very well know).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by edcho
The recent wording from the AFA worries me ....

http://unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=12297

Hoping its just political talk.
Here are some similar comments from the JNC (posted on the CAL MEC website):
Earlier this week, the company put out a message regarding what’s going on in the Teamsters negotiations. In the message, Vice President Maintenance Operations, Don Wright reported, “United and the Association of Flight Attendants are currently engaged in a progressive “win/win” bargaining process, facilitated by the National Mediation Board.”

While that appeared in a message to our Teamsters brothers and sisters, the JNC wants you to know the past few weeks there is nothing “progressive” or “win/win” about our negotiations. The goal posts keep moving, positions keep changing, subcommittee made agreements are being abandoned, and proposals are being made on the fly. It’s pretty chaotic. Kind of matches the summer United Airlines is having so far don’t you think?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:39 pm

Exactly both sides are still working under their pre merger contract and work rules. UA FAs were not "forced" with CO rules as some want to believe on here.

True, but this management is happy with the CO work rules. It is trying to force those rules onto pmUA flight attendants (as you very well know).
So CO FAs should just take UA work rules?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2015 at 11:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:04 am

Exactly both sides are still working under their pre merger contract and work rules. UA FAs were not "forced" with CO rules as some want to believe on here.
You know very well what has been going on.

UA has been trying to force pmUA flight attendants to accept the CO work rules and they won't. Why have the number of pmUA operated flights declined and CO increased with CO hiring new flight attendants?

So CO FAs should just take UA work rules?
So pmUA should just take CO work rules? pmCO flight attendants and UA management want a war and they have one in progress. And it is the passengers who are suffering.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:14 am

UA has been trying to force pmUA flight attendants to accept the CO work rules and they won't. Why have the number of pmUA operated flights declined and CO increased with CO hiring new flight attendants?

So pmUA should just take CO work rules? pmCO flight attendants and UA management want a war and they have one in progress. And it is the passengers who are suffering.
Not saying that and perhaps you should answer the question should CO FAs just take UA work rules?
{BTW} July 17th will be the last sCO FA graduating class. From July 24th thru December 18th all FA training classes that graduate will be sUA for a total of 21 classes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2015 at 10:48 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 am

I think there is a lot of room for compromise--on all three sides.

You can't blame just one group when all three are behaving imprudently.

But in response to your specific query, no, I do not think pmCO flight attendants should just accept pmUA work rules.

As to your final comment, as a pmUA 1K MM flier, I have not seen one single improvement from my perspective as a passenger since pmCO management took over this airline. Not one. Why then would I favor anything pmCO management does?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:32 am

UA has been trying to force pmUA flight attendants to accept the CO work rules and they won't.
Can you please explain how this is happening? When has UA forced another subsidiaries work rules on the other?

As to your final comment, as a pmUA 1K MM flier, I have not seen one single improvement from my perspective as a passenger since pmCO management took over this airline. Not one. Why then would I favor anything pmCO management does?
Not to go too far OT, but did you eat a Y meal prior to 6/1? That's a massive improvement. Even Y meals before the merger were bad, unless you liked stale bread and frozen bananas.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2015 at 8:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - pleae use multi-quote
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:38 am

Can you please explain how this is happening? When has UA forced another subsidiaries work rules on the other?
You missed the word "trying."

See post 56, and do a search. There has been a lot of information posted on this already.

pmCO flight attendants and current management like the pmCO work rules because the flight attendants earn more and are more productive.

pmUA make less, but have more flexibility in their work rules.

No one is trying to reach a compromise. Some of the obstinance is evident in this thread and others.

At the end of the day, it is the passengers who suffer the most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.