Wiki Posts
Search

Potable water serviced inadequately

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Potable water serviced inadequately

Hello,

Today I was on flight 201 from Hnl to gum and mid way through was notified that all water used to wash hands in the bathrooms was inoperable. Flight attendants placed a large bottle of drinking water in the bathroom with taped tissue paper reading "for hand washing only".

Towards the end of the flight we were instructed to visit United.com/appreciation for compensation. I was offered 1250 miles or $25 e cert.

Is this an okay offer or would you hold out for more?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:45 am

Wow, it would never come into my mind to ask for compensation for something like that.. ok, maybe if it was on a 12 hour flight, and it was inop the whole time, but for a few hours, and there was a "emergency solution" in use?

I'd happily take the miles or the e-cert and run
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No, you should demand to have the entire ticket refunded.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't see the OP's assertion. Water for hand washing doesn't have to be potable. Now, if the FA's use of bottled (assumably potable) water meant there wasn't enough for ingestion by passengers and reasonably expected needs, that's a potable water shortage.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
would not ask for any compensation.........happened to me on a cross country flight and I shared my Purell sanitizer as did other psgs. Stuff happens!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't see the OP's assertion. Water for hand washing doesn't have to be potable. Now, if the FA's use of bottled (assumably potable) water meant there wasn't enough for ingestion by passengers and reasonably expected needs, that's a potable water shortage.
Yes it does. You are washing your hands so that they are clean enough for you to eat.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
Yes it does. You are washing your hands so that they are clean enough for you to eat.
It is quite typical for common carriers to use non-potable water for hand-washing.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often airplane lavatories have signs near the sink saying that the water isn't potable. Even without the signs, one doesn't know how often the aircraft's water tanks are completely drained and cleaned out, so it's wise to stick to bottled water and avoid drinking the water in the lavatory.

This is no different from travel to places where you're supposed to drink bottled water but you of course use tap water for showers and hand washing.

If the FAs had signs on water bottles in the lavatories, one suspects that they repurposed large water bottles that were empty and filled them from some water source on the aircraft for hand washing. Perhaps there was water in another set of lavatories and FAs were able to refill the water bottles there rather than closing some of the lavatories or using all of the flight's drinking water for hand washing.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Potable-water issues are real!

Check this out:

Cathay Pacific provides bottled water on flights after samples from tanks fail to meet standards
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SwisherTown
That doesn't require potable water.. in fact, I've seen "not drinkable" signs in pretty much every carrier I've been flying in the toilet..
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:48 am

You're aware that the problematic tanks weren't the ones used for the toilet sink, are you?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I wish I got $25 for every ERJ145 with an inop sink in the lav filled with handi-wipes.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You're aware that the problematic tanks weren't the ones used for the toilet sink, are you?
If the OP's title had any relationship to the reality of the situation I doubt that the Cathay article would have made me think of this thread, but what the heck, I decide to post it anyway because I had nothing better to do at the time.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
On Horizon dba AS Q400 flights, the lav doesn't even have a sink, only instant hand sanitizer gel is provided. perhaps i'll have to ask them for compensation.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Exactly what inconvenience did you encounter from this? I'm surprised you're getting anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.