Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
So United was not being utterly ridiculous, and employed the airline industry best practice of advising the customer as soon as it knew that a maintenance delay was likely, AND offered you a protection option that is even better than what you originally had.
Ultimately they substituted another aircraft, but why wasn't this the plan from the beginning if the maintenance work was not going to be finished well before it's next plan departure?

Yes, I acknowledged that everything worked out in the end, but why put customers and staff through this instead of just swapping another aircraft if the intended aircraft needs significant maintenance work?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Ultimately they substituted another aircraft, but why wasn't this the plan from the beginning if the maintenance work was not going to be finished well before it's next plan departure?
Was the other aircraft available at that time?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines

Yes, I acknowledged that everything worked out in the end, but why put customers and staff through this instead of just swapping another aircraft if the intended aircraft needs significant maintenance work?
Da*ned if UA does, and da*ned if UA doesn't.

It's basically peak travel season systemwide, and swapping a single 747 dedicated to longhaul requires several days of aircraft and crew juggling to make the substitution work, such that a 747 swap cannot often be immediately "confirmed" even if that's known from the outset of the problem to be the best operational decision. Realizing this, United did something most longhaul carriers do not and will not do -- advise days ahead of time that a mx delay may occur, enabling the customers who would be most impacted by that potential mx delay to move to other flight options while those options still existed.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So United was not being utterly ridiculous, and employed the airline industry best practice of advising the customer as soon as it knew that a maintenance delay was likely, AND offered you a protection option that is even better than what you originally had.
Might want to read back through his posts.

First agent couldn't see the possible delay, and wouldn't reroute him. Vast majority of pax would have stopped there and ended up dissatisfied with the interaction.

Only FTers and the like think to keep HUACA.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Might want to read back through his posts.

First agent couldn't see the possible delay, and wouldn't reroute him. Vast majority of pax would have stopped there and ended up dissatisfied with the interaction.

Only FTers and the like think to keep HUACA.
Exactly - this was likely a mistake in / by the UA system - but glad it worked out well for OP - I'm betting the vast majority of pax never knew anything happened at all....
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
seems like the delay was posted, then the search for a new ship began. i understand the propensity to panic around here, but with 4 days notice it may have been a bit preemptive.

all's well that ends well in this case.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:56 pm

I asked a United friend to take a quick look. The conclusion, assuming the right flight since the OP never said the date (or I missed it), was the delay was posted to the flight of the wrong date. Was supposed to be a current date flight and instead, the date must have been mistyped. It was caught later and corrected back to on-time.

As for the plane change, completely unrelated. Plane assignments four days out are far from final and as the aircraft routers manage the closer-in flights to assure planes get to needed maintenance, assignments change frequently, particularly at a maintenance base like SFO.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BelmontRef
I asked a United friend to take a quick look. The conclusion, assuming the right flight since the OP never said the date (or I missed it), was the delay was posted to the flight of the wrong date. Was supposed to be a current date flight and instead, the date must have been mistyped. It was caught later and corrected back to on-time.
Cool, so someone made a typo in the flight management system and an observant pax got a free change onto a nonstop flight?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BelmontRef

As for the plane change, completely unrelated. Plane assignments four days out are far from final and as the aircraft routers manage the closer-in flights to assure planes get to needed maintenance, assignments change frequently, particularly at a maintenance base like SFO.
This is interesting as agent #1 was insisting the delay was for yesterday and couldn't understand how it was possible to post a delay 4 days in advance and told me it was a computer glitch as your friend described - however, she told me to check again after midnight and consider the delay valid if it was still there and then request a change at that time, which I did.

The second agent looked up the flight and called someone then confirmed it was the inbound from FRA going in for scheduled maintenance which she suspected as did I, might go longer than planned and thus put my connection at risk so she did the change.

My point in getting frustrated wasn't as much the notification, as sending it out so far in advance to indicate their [act] wasn't together and sending passengers like me (I'm sure everyone on that flight got the same email) into a tizzy wondering what was going on.

I would think better schedule analysis would have taken place if they knew this ship had x hours of maintenance scheduled and either labor or parts requirements would not leave it ready by flight time, and thus find another aircraft - and if not possible, accept the delay is real, post it in the system properly, and prepare to accommodate customers with alternative options.

Two different agents reached two different conclusions, and ironically it was the first agent's speculation that was correct.

Regardless, I am satisfied with the outcome, just not so keen on the journey getting to the outcome.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Cool, so someone made a typo in the flight management system and an observant pax got a free change onto a nonstop flight?

Yeah, that's exactly what we did - laid in wait for a one-in-a-million processing error so we could pounce on a free flight change.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 26, 2014 at 5:31 am Reason: masked profanity removed
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Yeah, that's exactly what we did - laid in wait for a one-in-a-million processing error so we could pounce on a free flight change.
I'm just describing what reportedly happened. It's not clear that this was all positive in your case — yes, you got a nonstop, but you earn fewer miles and you lose out on the upper deck.

Of course I don't think people stalk their reservations waiting to pounce on UA processing errors, except maybe during schedule changes.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Not by a long shot

The OP had to make several calls, monitor flight plans, learn the on-time performance of specific flights and reach out to United with a plan after they offered none.

How on earth does any of this amount to an "industry best practice"?

When flying United, one must gird for battle. That's what the OP did and his experience shows why this is required. It's a sad statement about United.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:10 am

Seriously, what the heck is going on with this airline?

4 days before departure I get a delay warning due to aircraft maintenance??

4 days is not enough time to have an aircraft ready to fly? Not enough time to substitute another aircraft?

How utterly ridiculous
What does a delay warning look like? It was an email? Could this have been forwarded to UA CS in hopes of rebooking given their system didn't show any issues?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DBCme
What does a delay warning look like? It was an email? Could this have been forwarded to UA CS in hopes of rebooking given their system didn't show any issues?
Here is what we received:

Confirmation number: xxxxxxx
United flight UA837 on August xx is delayed due to aircraft maintenance.
Now departs: 12:50 p.m. on August xx, San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Now arrives: 3:15 p.m. on August xx at Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita)

Please be at the gate for boarding prior to the original scheduled departure time of 11:40 a.m., as the departure time could be revised again.

San Francisco runway construction advisory:
Runway construction is in progress at San Francisco (SFO). United and other airlines that serve SFO have worked closely with the FAA and the airport authority to minimize disruptions related to this important construction project, but delays are possible.

Information is subject to change. For up-to-the-minute flight status information, go to united.com, use the United mobile app or check flight information screens at the airport.

I'm just describing what reportedly happened. It's not clear that this was all positive in your case — yes, you got a nonstop, but you earn fewer miles and you lose out on the upper deck.

Of course I don't think people stalk their reservations waiting to pounce on UA processing errors, except maybe during schedule changes.
Sorry, I misunderstood the context of your post.

Personally, I preferred the upper deck on the 747 and rest time at the ANA Lounge to shower and relax (although we were not looking forward to the 4hr in ANA coach) - we might be on the nonstop now, but sitting in the middle section of J, which I consider a less desirable position, albeit more desirable than spending a night in SFO and perhaps looking at the riding the next day in coach, or losing more hair over worrying about original flight and connection.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
OP can always ask for ORC
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:08 am

Here is what we received:

[I]Confirmation number: xxxxxxx
United flight UA837 on August xx is delayed due to aircraft maintenance.
Now departs: 12:50 p.m. on August xx, San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Now arrives: 3:15 p.m. on August xx at Tokyo, Japan (NRT - Narita)

Please be at the gate for boarding prior to the original scheduled departure time of 11:40 a.m., as the departure time could be revised again.
Thanks for clarifying. Wasn't sure if it was one of those warning messages along the lines of "flow control" and your flight may be impacted. In this case, they actually made a schedule change. Strange UA reps wouldn't see that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.