Can I use my mileage points on Expedia?

Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rogue4jc
Gawd! I looked at UA's website and now I'm even more confused! I have NO IDEA how much miles is required to go to Asia. WTH is a Saver's award? .
What does all this mean? So it is going to required 40K miles or 170K miles to purchase my ticket?

Economy Class
40,000 One-way Saver Award
80,000 Roundtrip Saver Award
85,000 One-way Standard Award
170,000 Roundtrip Standard Award
This means that you will need 80,000 miles minimum to book a roundtrip economy class ticket at the lowest/ saver rate. Seats in this category are capacity controlled and may not be available at all times.

The 85000 one way or 170,000 round trip is for last seat availability or any seat available in economy. This is the standard price. This is only applicable if the saver rate is not available.

So with your 50,000 mile balance, the miles are only enough for a one way trip to Japan at the lowest rate - if the seats are available at that rate. It is better you use money to buy your ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I think I've figured it out. I'm probably better off buying the ticket through Expedia using the cash option! It's going to cost me 80,000 miles for roundtrip to go where I'm going.

80,000 x 0.02 = $1600. Actual ticket in Expedia is almost half that.

Even if I have 80K miles which I don't, I think I would still be better off getting via Expedia! Damn ripoff airline miles! Just a scam then!
I'' probably be cancelling my CC then especially since it has annual fees!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
This means that you will need 80,000 miles minimum to book a roundtrip economy class ticket at the lowest/ saver rate. Seats in this category are capacity controlled and may not be available at all times.

The 85000 one way or 170,000 round trip is for last seat availability or any seat available in economy. This is the standard price. This is only applicable if the saver rate is not available.

So with your 50,000 mile balance, the miles are only enough for a one way trip to Japan at the lowest rate - if the seats are available at that rate. It is better you use money to buy your ticket.
Thaks IADF.. you're a wealth of knowledge!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Thaks IADF.. you're a wealth of knowledge!
No worries. Much more detailed answers for any program related or united related questions can be seen on this wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ster-wiki.html
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

Even if I have 80K miles which I don't, I think I would still be better off getting via Expedia! Damn ripoff airline miles! Just a scam then!
With all due respect, you may want to read how and when one should use airline miles before you consider it a scam. Those same 80K miles could save someone thousands if doing one-way tickets to/from Asia.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
If you do not have money and would like to use the miles, remember that each united mile is about 2c, so your ticket has to be more than $1000. If yes, and you dont have enough cash, use the miles.
Ok, I think I've figured it out. I'm probably better off buying the ticket through Expedia using the cash option! It's going to cost me 80,000 miles for roundtrip to go where I'm going.

Mile valuation is very subjective. I value miles at a much higher rate. You can for example buy a round-trip ticket to Asia or Europe in first class for less than 200,000 miles which can normally cost you over $10,000.

If you fly a lot and use your credit card a lot you can accrue a ton of miles and use them for free flights (or other things) on a regular basis.
For example, my partner has never paid for any of his tickets over the years and flies frequently and always in first because I travel all the time, acquire miles, and use my credit card for everything personal and business related.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.