Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to UA's flagship hub, IAH?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
What happened to UA's flagship hub, IAH?

Yesterday, I connected through IAH for the first time since 2012. I remember when connecting in early 2012 (pre-3/1), IAH impressed me, especially Terminal E. I really loved the "Continental" decal at both ends of the main Terminal E hall. E/C both looked clean and fairly modern, and staff were incredibly friendly and almost everyone was smiling. Terminal E was especially impressive, and looked sparkling clean and modern.

Fast forward to yesterday. Connecting through IAH was a mess. Surly employees all around, everyone looked cranky, both terminals smelled weird, I could see various stages of disrepair through both terminals, and the whole airport just felt and looked dirty. Dare I say, maybe a bit "ghetto" (no stereotyping intended). Big crowds, too. Also, why didn't UA add "United" decals to replace the previous "Continental" decals in Terminal E? Instead, there were large ads.

It was overall a big disappointment. IAH definitely wasn't what I remembered from 2012. Of course, the merger had to have some impact, but IAH is a pmCO hub, and pmCO employees had an easier transition than pmUA employees (due to CO's systems being used vs. UA's). It just didn't make sense. Did I catch IAH on a bad day?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Only been there twice. Once in the early 2000s when it seemed modern and impressive, albeit with very long walks. Once two years ago when it was hell on earth. Staggering lines at immigration, staggering lines at security and a shambolic gate area.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:10 pm

Well you picked the day before a tropical storm made landfall

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...bill/28823175/

That would explain some of the lack of smiles.

As for the terminal condition...

Yeah it did feel more 'special' before. The Houston side wasn't too pleased with all the changes either.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I had almost no experience with IAH prior to the merger, and in general it doesn't seem like a very attractive airport, but is certainly a lot better than the UA gates at IAD!!
IAH kinda reminds me of someone's kitchen that may have been super stylish when it was created in the early 80s, but now just looks out of date and in need of a gutting and renovation!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was walking thru IAH C&E last Sunday and was noticing the good job they do of keeping the floors clean. I'm not sure what everyone has against IAH - it is kept cleaner and more modern than EWR, ORD, LAX, IAD. EWR is being improved and LAX is what it is - the shops and restaurants you see today are pretty much what are going to be there after the renovation. IAD is hopeless unless they re-build the concourse from ground up. Want filthy and crummy shops/restaurants? Try OGG. Wanted dated? Try HNL. If you think IAH is crummy, I can think of only about 200 airports around the world that are worse. Those with limited travel experience denigrate IAH.

One's experience with immigration based on two visits (10 years ago and 2 years ago) is hardly meaningful. I was based there for 30 years and only a handful of times were the lines miserable. The new facility has helped.

As for long walk - it is a big hub - probably twice as many gates as SFO. It is what it is.

My peeves with IAH are the electric carts, world-class dumb/city-ignorant taxi drivers, and lack of rail.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 17, 2015 at 12:46 pm Reason: cahnged "doo" to "do"
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I was walking thru IAH C&E last Sunday and was noticing the good job they doo of keeping the floors clean. I'm not sure what everyone has against IAH - it is kept cleaner and more modern than EWR, ORD, LAX, IAD.
I've always liked IAH, both pre and post-merger. Nicest staff (especially CBP agents) of any UA hub. Plenty of food options. Terminal E UC with showers.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
I was walking thru IAH C&E last Sunday and was noticing the good job they doo of keeping the floors clean. I'm not sure what everyone has against IAH - it is kept cleaner and more modern than EWR, ORD, LAX, IAD. EWR is being improved and LAX is what it is - the shops and restaurants you see today are pretty much what are going to be there after the renovation. IAD is hopeless unless they re-build the concourse from ground up. Want filthy and crummy shops/restaurants? Try OGG. Wanted dated? Try HNL. If you think IAH is crummy, I can think of only about 200 airports around the world that are worse. Those with limited travel experience denigrate IAH.

One's experience with immigration based on two visits (10 years ago and 2 years ago) is hardly meaningful. I was based there for 30 years and only a handful of times were the line miserable. The new facility has helped.

As for long walk - it is a big hub - probably twice as many gates as SFO. It is what it is.

My peeves with IAH is the electric carts, world-class dumb taxi drivers, and lack of rail.
Perhaps I'm biased but I agree with all of this. IAH, while not the best airport I've ever been to, is at the top of UA hubs for me.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
You caught IAH on a very bad day. Tropical storm coming through, and ORD recovering from a massive thunderstorm the day before probably stressed other hubs as well. I've lived in Houston since 1999, and IAH seems as nice as it's been in the past. Lots more ads, but also much better food options. To me, at least, IAH is kept up better than LAX and EWR, and certainly is less crowded than SFO.

And the terminals are getting renovated. Both United and the city are pouring money in over the next few years.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
... lack of rail.
The entire city of Houston lacks rail, unless you want to go to the Astrodome.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
... Connecting through IAH was a mess. Surly employees all around, everyone looked cranky, both terminals smelled weird, I could see various stages of disrepair through both terminals, and the whole airport just felt and looked dirty. Dare I say, maybe a bit "ghetto" (no stereotyping intended)...
I reserve those words for DFW--designed and built at the wrong time that left it cramped (ironic, given the airport's immense size), inefficient, and not pretty to look at. IAH by comparison is a breeze.

(BTW, to establish my point of view, my favorite airport in North America is MSP, followed by MCO and then LAS.)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: 1K
I prefer IAH to many other hubs. If I have more than a 30-45 min layover, I'll find myself in Terminal E, which is nice and spread out. There are many people in E, but it doesn't feel like it because you have plenty of space to spread out. The E united club is great if you're willing to go up to the third floor. For whatever reason, people don't seem to go up there since there is no escalator.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
For all the mega hubs in the US, IAH impressed me the least. DFW, ATL, DEN are all superior from a terminal and shopping layout.

IAH has awkward corridors with a handful of gates in each subset. Not a great layout from a gate perspective. In addition, signage is not all that great, lot's of white walls, no GDS at the gates. I was there in January and all I saw from a spotting perspective was mainly 737s.

Only redeeming factor is the 2 level UA club with the showers. It needs a facelift -- looks very 1998 though.

Glad I never got stuck at IAH as I hear the CSRs have attitude problems.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I like connecting through IAH because of the KLM Crown Club but it is not a very attractive airport -- just like EWR and CLE.

SFO and ORD are my favorite UA hubs from an aesthetic perceptive.

Yes, IAD loses by a longshot, though the midfield immigration terminal is incredibly helpful and so, so much better IMO than ORD and even SFO.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Spend a little time at IAD, and you'll appreciate IAH a lot more!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Love home base IAH, but do hate 1. long taxi times, 2. short layovers(yeah sometimes I layover in transcon or something) with gates on opposite ends(C to E is quite a walk), 3. And finally the WORST baggage claim airport (it literally takes an hour for me with priority tags, but for the last year I take a break in the UC for about 30min till I head out to baggage claim.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.