Wiki Posts
Search

Split Status Levels on Star Alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club

If I fly well over 50K+ miles, but miss the revenue/spend $$ to attain Gold status on United, will I still be recognized as Star Gold throughout the Star Alliance, or will I only be Silver?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Hate to say it, but you will be United Silver and Star Alliance Silver. A workaround is to get a Chase UA card and meet the credit card spend requirement ($25,000) in order to waive the PQD requirement up through Platinum status (not applicable to 1K). If this is a realistic option for you, you can still get to UA and *A Gold status. If you have a Presidential Plus card, you automatically get the waiver without a spend requirement.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../PQD-FAQs.aspx

However, in 2014 and 2015, the PQD requirement for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification is waived for primary Cardmembers whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and who, in combination with their authorized users, spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during the applicable calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. Net Purchases made between January 1, 2014, and December 31, 2014, or January 1, 2015, and December 31, 2015, will count toward the $25,000 threshold in the applicable year.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:29 am

It's interesting, this PQD thing. It's been a relatively slow year for me, so I've met the Gold PQD requirement, but have not yet met the Silver PQM/PQS requirement. If the year ended now, I'd have no status next year.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's interesting, this PQD thing. It's been a relatively slow year for me, so I've met the Gold PQD requirement, but have not yet met the Silver PQM/PQS requirement. If the year ended now, I'd have no status next year.
If you have some money lying around that you are willing to spend, make a couple of PQM mileage runs or make a couple of dummy bookings and purchase the premier accelerator miles that would give you the status miles you are seeking. Cancel the dummy reservation before 24 hours.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

* status is based on your UA status. You have to meet each of the milestones (PQM or PQS, PQD for US residents (or CC waiver), and 4 UA flight minimum (or CC waiver) to hit the UA status, and therefore, the * status.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
If you have some money lying around that you are willing to spend, make a couple of PQM mileage runs or make a couple of dummy bookings and purchase the premier accelerator miles that would give you the status miles you are seeking. Cancel the dummy reservation before 24 hours.
this actually works?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:56 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
OP needs $ not miles. Accelerator purchases don't count toward PQD so this won't help.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by kenny23692
this actually works?
Yes, flawlessly
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by sb3
OP needs $ not miles. Accelerator purchases don't count toward PQD so this won't help.
I was responding to gobluetwo
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:44 am

I was responding to gobluetwo
And fortunately the year does not end today, so no worries. YET.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:51 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
My mistake gobluetwo.

And yes, I would agree that is an effective way to get PQMs.

Last edited by sb3; Jun 18, 2015 at 10:53 am Reason: I meant to quote gobluetwo, but didn't do it correctly, so added the name to make my response more clear.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie
If I fly well over 50K+ miles, but miss the revenue/spend $$ to attain Gold status on United, will I still be recognized as Star Gold throughout the Star Alliance, or will I only be Silver?
change your address to be in another country.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by why fly
change your address to be in another country.
Bad idea. Gaming the system is not a win for anyone.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
I wouldn't be so offended by the PQD rigamarole if they didn't give away perks left and right to credit card holders, elite-for-a-days and god knows who else. The list of special people with "status" seems endless. Get rid of all that pseudo-frequent-flyer crap, focus the program more on people who fly a lot, and then I'd have more respect for the system, even with PQDs, and be more willing not to bend its rules.

Give credit card holders all that other flotsam ticket discounts, miles, whatever... just don't conflate the frequent flyers with other groups that US wants to incentivize. Keep them distinct. Right now, they're not.

As it stands, I don't have any respect for it. So I don't mind "gaming" the system. I may change my address to a place I own a place overseas. It's a hassle but not too hard to 'prove' my residency there to UA's standard.

Last edited by perezoso; Jun 18, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.