Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Flying EWR-SFO on one of the last non-ps flights this morning.

Guess that's ...... something? At least it's an int'l 752. Only thing really missing are the duvets.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by nycityny
Hello Terminal C at EWR.
nope nope nope nope nope
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
nope nope nope nope nope
^^^^^
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Would love to see some photos / get a report once the final flight touches down!

Re: Terminal C at EWR vs. Terminal 7...maybe not as convenient for security to gate, but at least I feel like I am in a modernized terminal. One thing that someone mentioned in one of these threads - if they could create customized designated p.s. gates at EWR, that would be really choice.
naggannah
naggannah
naggannahappen!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I booked my first PS flight out of EWR in early February. The price of front cabin travel (P fare) was lower than I'd ever seen from JFK. We're talking just under C$1,200 round-trip from Vancouver. Did I just get lucky or is UA offering discounts to fill up these flights' front cabins now that the A list are switching to other carriers?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I booked my first PS flight out of EWR in early February. The price of front cabin travel (P fare) was lower than I'd ever seen from JFK. We're talking just under C$1,200 round-trip from Vancouver. Did I just get lucky or is UA offering discounts to fill up these flights' front cabins now that the A list are switching to other carriers?
You can buy the nonstop JFK-LAX/SFO on Delta or AA for less than $1200 US roundtrip with advance purchase. All matching the JetBlue $599 each way fares on a roundtrip basis.

I guess they must be discounting because the 'A list' is headed to EWR.

UA was matching that out of JFK and still is out of EWR.

The premium transcon market has had advance yields crushed by JetBlue. Been happening all year.

Those fares weren't less than $999 one way before Mint.

AA is pricing 3 cabin First just about $100 more each way than super discounted Business. Not much of a premium vs the floor space that takes up.

I hope the level of service quality can be maintained by the majors - that's going to be determined by the closer in yields.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Oct 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Assuming the age of flight book?

Can you post a picture of the note?
The book is copyrighted 2002.

The note is here (if I uploaded the photo correctly into Flyertalk):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...nited-note.jpg
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
You can buy the nonstop JFK-LAX/SFO on Delta or AA for less than $1200 US roundtrip with advance purchase. All matching the JetBlue $599 each way fares on a roundtrip basis.
C$1200 is a lot less than $1200 US, it's about $900 US.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
AA is pricing 3 cabin First just about $100 more each way than super discounted Business. Not much of a premium vs the floor space that takes up.
Last two times I flew LAX-JFK on AA in F, I paid around $550 more than business, o/w. Really depends on the fare classes available and the restrictions. On one flight I saw the pricing as $5500 for a biz seat and $3200 for the F seat.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mduell
C$1200 is a lot less than $1200 US, it's about $900 US.
You can fly Delta YVR via LAX for that price.

Point being - everyone's discounting at levels unseen before this year.

$1200 is a lot less than $1900.

There is nothing unique to United here.

Wait 3 months and if we see sub $599 one way on the EWR-SFO/LAX nonstops then something's up.

Originally Posted by gengar
Last two times I flew LAX-JFK on AA in F, I paid around $550 more than business, o/w. Really depends on the fare classes available and the restrictions. On one flight I saw the pricing as $5500 for a biz seat and $3200 for the F seat.

Wide, wide open for the 30-90 day booking window - look at Dec-Feb.

It's unheard of before this year to see 3 cabin first ever or even so widely available at a price so close to J.

And have seen this price since this summer in that 30-90 day window.

As much as I like 3 cabin first, the pricing here and really generous award space last minute isn't screaming that this product is long for this market.

I hope they can make it work, but seems tougher in this pricing environment. And the soft product still isn't all that different from biz, even with the meal changes.

It's clear JFK is more convenient than EWR for some locations in the tri state area. Just as EWR is more convenient to others.

But I don't get how adding a connection would ever be more convenient. You're adding 2 hours minimum each way. And you were willing to deal with the hassle of getting to JFK, which is hardly a picnic in its own right.

Or are you flying from SMF? In which case it makes perfect sense.

Hope the amenity kit is something permanent. That's a nice touch.

Who has a meal report?

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Second flight today EWR to SFO departed out of C95. A small United draw string pouch was given. Contained ear phones, Cowshed small kit and maybe eye shades.

The menu was printed on a single page listing NEW YORK SAN FRANCISCO LOS ANGELES service. EWR is so not New York!

I don't see us needing to fly PS anymore. From our home airport in Northern CA it is work making it to SFO. Add the inconvenience we have had the last few times going from the City to EWR versus LGA or JFK it is not worth the added comfort. It would be better to fly via ORD or DEN into LGA in the future.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 25, 2015 at 11:08 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:27 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Exclamation

Greetings Everyone,

The topic of this thread is UA's p.s. transitioning from JFK to EWR. Please focus the discussion on that.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA forum co-moderator
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I bid my farewell to the JFK Louge staff last month.
I had fond memories at JFK in addition to the PS services......JFK-NRT on the 747-200SP, MIA-JFK on the 763 and 727, and many more.

I will be doing two PS flights in the coming week.....another era ended and one begins....
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:59 pm

Here is a thoughtful blog piece interviewing many JFK agents:

http://upgrd.com/matthew/united-jfk-...certainty.html

Well balanced covering the positives and negatives.

Now will someone provide some trip reports!!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by nycityny
The book is copyrighted 2002.

The note is here (if I uploaded the photo correctly into Flyertalk):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...nited-note.jpg
I got almost the exact same note, but on 535 mine said JFK-LAX.

I'm going to give EWR a try and have already booked a December trip LAX-EWR-LAX.

I posted some photos of 535 and video of the Captain's remarks, etc. over here:

https://www.facebook.com/United-535-...2496854848638/
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I got almost the exact same note, but on 535 mine said JFK-LAX.

I'm going to give EWR a try and have already booked a December trip LAX-EWR-LAX.

I posted some photos of 535 and video of the Captain's remarks, etc. over here:

https://www.facebook.com/United-535-...2496854848638/
Nice quote from 'Airplane' at the end of the captain's speech

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.