Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pregnant singer Sarah Blackwood and crying {unsecured?} son kicked off flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pregnant singer Sarah Blackwood and crying {unsecured?} son kicked off flight

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
A seven months pregnant Canadian Juno-nominated singer says she was ejected from a United Airlines flight in San Francisco Wednesday because her two-year-old son would not stop crying.

Burlington-based Sarah Blackwood, a singer for Juno nominated band Walk Off The Earth, was removed from United flight 6223, operated by SkyWest Airlines, after being warned three times that her child must stop crying.

SkyWest confirmed that a woman was removed from the flight when her “child could not be secured for takeoff.”
Source: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...as-crying.html

For the record, I'm actually with UA on this...if the parent can't secure the child on the ground, then how will it get any better in the air? Tamper tantrums work because the parents give into it. I'm glad she was kicked off the plane. IMO, babies should be gate checked

//flame suit inevitable will fail, but on

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 28, 2015 at 6:57 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#copyrighted
Old May 28, 2015, 12:08 pm

if the baby was crying and had its seatbelt on would she have been allowed to stay on the plane...
Old May 28, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
UA managers and employees should have a better innate sense of how dramas like this play out in social media. For every FTer who thinks good riddance, I hate crying children anyway, there are 99 normal human beings out there whose opinion of UA declines further. Perception and spin are reality.

Last edited by goalie; May 28, 2015 at 2:15 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old May 28, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I mean, which is it, were they kicked off because of crying (which would be a pretty stupid thing for UX to have done) or because the kid couldn't be secured for takeoff (which would not be particularly stupid)?
Old May 28, 2015, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If the kid can't be belted in, they legally can't take off.

Sorry the kid had a meltdown, but what was Skywest supposed to do? I fly with them a lot out of SFO, the crews are generally great.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can someone explain why it matters that she's pregnant?
Old May 28, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
Tantrum and unsecured. You can't make an exception because where does it stop. Intermediate or high school age? I am not a fan of United but I have to agree in this instance.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the story:

Moore added that by the time the plane returned to the airport from the runway, the child was fast asleep, and passengers were forced to wait 75 minutes while Blackwood’s luggage was removed from the flight.
Nothing but a power-hungry regional jet flight attendant and flight crew. But FA gotta win even if it means everyone else loses. Happens every day, somewhere. Face-saving taken to a whole 'nother dimension. Must not ever back down or appear weak.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2015 at 12:20 pm Reason: OT/OMNI content removed
Old May 28, 2015, 12:19 pm

just to clarify. I don't think screaming babies or infants should be removed from a plane.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
From the story:

Nothing but a power-hungry regional jet flight attendant and flight crew. But FA gotta win even if it means everyone else loses. Happens every day, somewhere. Face-saving taken to a whole 'nother dimension. Must not ever back down or appear weak.
What the baby was doing by the time the aircraft got back to the gate is irrelevant.

The conditions at takeoff are what matter.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2015 at 12:28 pm Reason: quote updated tp reflect Mod edit
Old May 28, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Originally Posted by milepig
Can someone explain why it matters that she's pregnant?
And why does it matter that she is a singer?
Old May 28, 2015, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
just to clarify. I don't think screaming babies or infants should be removed from a plane.
Is a two-year-old a baby or infant? I would have used the word toddler. He's old enough to unfasten his seat belt or refuse to be belted in, versus a more passive much younger child.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This quote is my favorite : "....Babies cry. His ears may have been popping from the height,........” said Rick Collin, another passenger, on Facebook.

What height? They never took off. This guy was never even on the plane.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Seems like there's little to discuss here. If they were removed for refusal to wear a seat belt, fine. If it were due to screaming only, probably not a good decision.

Skywest crews have been some of the best, and friendliest over the years, IMO.

Last edited by goalie; May 28, 2015 at 2:13 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old May 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
From the story:

So should the plane have turned around for takeoff again with the possibility of the child waking up and throwing a tantrum again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.