Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking Young & Being MileagePlus Elite [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking Young & Being MileagePlus Elite [2015]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
so anyway the experience in this thread seems to indicate - it is pretty much random - somewhat based upon how you dress. sometimes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2015 at 12:41 pm Reason: Response to OT quote deleted
Old May 31, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by ACVBear
so anyway the experience in this thread seems to indicate - it is pretty much random - somewhat based upon how you dress. sometimes.
It is pretty much first impression counts.

but another observation is:

FT-er Kids: OMG! This sucks! Why are my rights infringed upon! Stop treating me like a kid!
FT-er Oldies: Sheesh, KIDS! Worked up over such trivia matters. I wish I looked 10 years younger.

grass is always greener on the other side.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:40 am

I profile based on how lost you look.

If you're standing at a self-service kiosk with a boarding pass from home, looking at me like you're annoyed that I'm not walking over to you, then I'll assume that you're not an elite flyer.

If you've managed to find the clearly marked bag drop location with your boarding pass, then I'll assume you either have your .... together, or you fly often.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
It could just be you.

My first year as a 1K I was in my late 20s but very fit and young looking I felt like I didn't fit in. Mind you these were the years when my UDU success was nearly 100%. 7 consecutive 1K years later at 35 (no longer so svelte) I feel a little eye contact and friendliness lets them know you aren't a rookie.

I was flying home from Glasgow to Newark on a F class ticket and I was exhausted wearing sweatpants and a baseball cap and boarded late and the FA's were in the hallway when I tried to turn left, I simply gave them a nice bit of eye contact and they knew i was turning left for a reason...
Old May 31, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've seen some things, mind you, that give an old curmudgeon like me pause:

Like the time I had a skateboarder speed past me in the international terminal at SFO wearing a full arctic parka (Army issue?), with the fur-lined hood and everything, even though it was very hot. He looked like he hadn't bathed or shaved in weeks. In my mind, I labelled this kid as a "skate punk", and was amazed that it was not only legal to bring your skateboard on an international flight (to NRT, I found out later), but that you could ride on it to your gate without fear of repercussions. When I got to bottom of the escalator, there he was in the front of the Group 1 line, and the GAs were fawning all over him. Since he boarded with the GSs, I assumed he was such. Behind him in line was an older, perhaps 65, gentleman who looked very distinguished and important, and who was wearing a nice suit and a very expensive Blancpain watch. [.....]
any idea who this scruffy guy was? =)

as yet another sport/lifestyle market, there's more money in skateboarding than people realize in which you'll see these folks traveling with some frequency.

the industry definitely supports travel. 2 years ago I was flying PDX -> IAH and my seat mate was another scruffy pro skater for Nike Skateboarding flying down in paid F to SJO for demos and photo/vid ops. i guested him and his traveling buddy into the Term E UC when our delayed flight into IAH caused misconnects. anyway if you take a look at the US based SB print and online media, there is nearly constant coverage of outside of US scene, spot and competition reports. the market is ever growing in different locations around the world, and the US based pro skaters (and their funders/sponsors execs who generally are skaters too, but i think that's shifting) are there to promote and drive local sales at these destinations, and support domestic media consumption interest such as through the competitions and photo/vid ops.

for this guy, it's not really being young, but the perception that the guy is a ne'er-do-well. especially if skating through a terminal in an army parka, i'm sure they may expect to be treated differently by the GAs, et al, but they prolly don't give a ____, as skating still has at its roots an outsider/rebel philosophy. doesn't mean they aren't making money though.

on the other hand, my observation is that there are more ex-pat kids growing up with itinerant parents who pick up skateboarding as an activity because you don't need a team in order to participate. for these kids, mix in some teenage angst, rebellion and need for identity and here's your lucrative sport/leisure industry that's partially funded by an already international crowd that's already traveling.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:45 am

I think part of the problem is that passengers and airline personnel too often have their fangs out and, in a weird way, look forward to a confrontation so they can "win" it.

I think the public in general look for "gotcha" moments too often. There's probably some psychology about personal satisfaction with one's life somewhere in all this.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Why?
Why was I wearing that or why would I have worn something different? Because if I had known I would have been sitting up there, I would've dressed a little nicer so I'm not perceived as a child who doesn't belong there, for all the reasons discussed in this thread. If you're asking why I was wearing that in the first place, then that doesn't deserve a response.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: MVP75K, UA Gold,
Originally Posted by Mike1089
Okay I can't feel sorry for you. If you asked like that around me I would think you were a POS and come to the defense of the counter employyee. You're the jacka** that gives the FA, GA and other United employees bad impressions of us younger elites.

Oh and nice subtle brag that you fly 150k miles for leisure.
I don't feel sorry for being treated that way nor do I feel sorry for them. I'm stating my experiences. The point of adding in the leisure part was to explain why I wear sweatpants.

Why I am the jackass when she tried to prevent me from entering before asking me a question vs. just saying Hi, this is for 1K/GS are you one of these premier members?

Originally Posted by StingWest
That choice of words/actions virtually guarantees that you'll continue to receive this kind of reception whilst enjoying your 150,000 miles of leisure travel.
If the GA's continue to assume and not be courteous upon greetings then I will match their incorrect assumptions with similar remarks.

Having switched to AS I have never once had a bad experience with any of their employees and in return I am very polite to them.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deekh8
I don't feel sorry for being treated that way nor do I feel sorry for them. I'm stating my experiences. The point of adding in the leisure part was to explain why I wear sweatpants.

Why I am the jackass when she tried to prevent me from entering before asking me a question vs. just saying Hi, this is for 1K/GS are you one of these premier members?

If the GA's continue to assume and not be courteous upon greetings then I will match their incorrect assumptions with similar remarks.

Having switched to AS I have never once had a bad experience with any of their employees and in return I am very polite to them.
Leisure and sweatpants or business and sweatpants. Seen both. Just because you see sweatpants you can't assume they are leisure.

Just because you get an attitude towards you does not mean you have to give attitude back at them. That is just immature. Smile back and say you are 1K (or whatever), show your boarding pass and move on. All being nasty back at them does is make the situation worse. I have seen an attitude change just because I smiled and was polite.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

If you encounter a bad attitude from an agent because of your young look or down-dress, this same agent is probably going give other people hard time because of other reasons. Races, luggage, food, loud talking...etc, you name it.
It is the awful customer service culture of United to be blamed.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by horse glasses
Why was I wearing that or why would I have worn something different? Because if I had known I would have been sitting up there, I would've dressed a little nicer so I'm not perceived as a child who doesn't belong there, for all the reasons discussed in this thread. If you're asking why I was wearing that in the first place, then that doesn't deserve a response.
I read it as "Why not wear a punk rock jacket in F? It's just as appropriate as a business jacket."
Old May 31, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I got told at UC that all the other people with lifetime memberships are super old. Good times. Maybe because LT membership was (thankfully) GRANDFATHERED in (I had purchased lifetime PC membership back in the CO days). Pun intended. Have a nice day.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by eleeut
any idea who this scruffy guy was? =)

as yet another sport/lifestyle market, there's more money in skateboarding than people realize in which you'll see these folks traveling with some frequency.

the industry definitely supports travel. 2 years ago I was flying PDX -> IAH and my seat mate was another scruffy pro skater for Nike Skateboarding flying down in paid F to SJO for demos and photo/vid ops. i guested him and his traveling buddy into the Term E UC when our delayed flight into IAH caused misconnects. anyway if you take a look at the US based SB print and online media, there is nearly constant coverage of outside of US scene, spot and competition reports. the market is ever growing in different locations around the world, and the US based pro skaters (and their funders/sponsors execs who generally are skaters too, but i think that's shifting) are there to promote and drive local sales at these destinations, and support domestic media consumption interest such as through the competitions and photo/vid ops.

for this guy, it's not really being young, but the perception that the guy is a ne'er-do-well. especially if skating through a terminal in an army parka, i'm sure they may expect to be treated differently by the GAs, et al, but they prolly don't give a ____, as skating still has at its roots an outsider/rebel philosophy. doesn't mean they aren't making money though.

on the other hand, my observation is that there are more ex-pat kids growing up with itinerant parents who pick up skateboarding as an activity because you don't need a team in order to participate. for these kids, mix in some teenage angst, rebellion and need for identity and here's your lucrative sport/leisure industry that's partially funded by an already international crowd that's already traveling.
I should have asked the Purser who he was but I am not a nosey person, and I figured he deserved his privacy. He must've been big in Japan, because at least half of the pax that wanted pictures with him were Japanese.

He looked like "Noodles" of The Offspring from 20 years ago, with the geek glasses but also sporting a short stubbly beard and short, punkish hair.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I should have asked the Purser who he was but I am not a nosey person, and I figured he deserved his privacy. He must've been big in Japan, because at least half of the pax that wanted pictures with him were Japanese.

He looked like "Noodles" of The Offspring from 20 years ago, with the geek glasses but also sporting a short stubbly beard and short, punkish hair.
no worries, the only guy i could think of who sports the geek glasses regularly might be Bob Burnquist, a Brazilian now based in CA, but i think he's a bit more clean cut as compared with the rest of the "riff raff" of the skateboarding world. japan is a huge skateboarding market both for the sport and the apparel, so it would be no surprise for him or any of these guys to be trekking out there. generally though, image is huge for these guys, as it becomes part of the brands they sell especially for the teenage crowd, e.g. if i ride the same wheels XXX does, if i wear the same shoes, and wear my pants the same way, I'll skate just like him... etc, etc.

for me, i haven't stepped on a board for at least 5 years, probably more. most of my colleagues are surprised when i tell them of my checkered past as a skateboarder... i just say i've cleaned up well.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by horse glasses
Why you would have changed what you were wearing sounds fine. An ill fitting shirt and pleated khakis are much more visually offensive to some of us than a Rrrriot girl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.