Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United deplaned everyone only because of in flight tv not working

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United deplaned everyone only because of in flight tv not working

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
you realize these can't be compared, right? It's like comparing OAK-DEN and SFO-DEN ... close, but not the same.
Statistically, a flight is considerably more likely to be delayed ex-EWR than ex-JFK.

And SFO-DEN is much more likely to be delayed than OAK-DEN.

That said, not sure that comparing delay percentage for a single flight tells us anything of significance, statistical or otherwise.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by cfischer
you realize these can't be compared, right? It's like comparing OAK-DEN and SFO-DEN ... close, but not the same.
If anything, adjusting for airport skews things in UA's favor, since EWR's on time departure figure (72%) is below that of JFK (78%), so UA, flying out of EWR, is facing a tougher environment than NH, flying out of JFK.

I'm not saying NH's on time performance is in any meaningful way worse than UA's for US-Japan, but the data certainly doesn't support the assertion that NH's is meaningfully BETTER, either.

There can be other reasons to prefer NH to UA (in non E+, NH has 3 inches more pitch, for example), but on-time performance isn't one of them.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 28, 2015 at 6:33 am Reason: Merge
Old May 28, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by coolyiu
Sorry bad typing here, I asked about 6 people

They agreed with me

And that's not my point.

My point is they should had done in cabin vote, at least a reference for making decision, now they just assume everyone think the plane sucks without ife.
i bet they asked the one person it affected who paid a lot of money to fly on a plane with IFE.

it sucks but i wouldn't be happy flying on a plane 13+ hours without IFE.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm sure lack of IFE would have annoyed some pax. To me, though, schedule is more important than IFE; I bring a book and my laptop.

Don't we routinely hear people criticized for not bringing their own food? So why not criticize people who don't bring their own entertainment?

Delaying a plane for IFE seems silly, even for a flight that long. That particular delay probably caused missed connections in NRT, and as it also delayed the return NRT-IAH flight, missed connections the next day in IAH.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - completely agree. Would be interesting to see ORD-NRT head to head as NH has two flights and UA only one....
as well as SFOHND/NRT on both UA and NH.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
6 people isn't a sample size..
Originally Posted by BearX220
..6 people against a gross cohort of 250 yields no useful data..
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure it is. A grossly insufficient one from which to draw any reasonable conclusions in this scenario.
No mathematicians among us here? The sample size depends entirely on the (null) hypothesis. If your claim is that the majority of the passengers wanted to fly with a crippled IFE, then a sample size of 6 gives your a very small residual for the null hypothesis.
However to uphold the OP's original statement that all pax wanted to travel the sample size is entirely insufficient.

I would not want to sit in coach for such a long ride without IFE. But of course UA cannot check the birds before putting them into service. This is why these things don't happen on SQ or CX but on UA. Either outcome is pretty devastating.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Here's the thing that UA and airlines in general don't seem to understand: taking a minute to honestly explain the situation to the passengers can head off most or all of the negative feelings in a situation like this.

If the pilot comes on and says, "I'm sorry, but we need to deplane everyone to fix the in-flight entertainment. Now I know that while some might think it's a bad idea to delay the flight to fix an entertainment system, it's actually a safety issue. We don't want to take off until we have a good idea of what is wrong with the system, so we can be sure that it is safe to fly" then people will be very forgiving. Or if the explanation is that this is the last chance to fix the IFE for the next 48 hours because of where the flight is going, the say that; people will be forgiving.

There's often this inexplicable reluctance to explain what is going on, and in the absence of information, a large group of annoyed people will make up their own reasons, that will almost certainly include assertions about how stupid or uncaring the airline is.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by cjermain
Here's the thing that UA and airlines in general don't seem to understand: taking a minute to honestly explain the situation to the passengers can head off most or all of the negative feelings in a situation like this.

If the pilot comes on and says, "I'm sorry, but we need to deplane everyone to fix the in-flight entertainment. Now I know that while some might think it's a bad idea to delay the flight to fix an entertainment system, it's actually a safety issue. We don't want to take off until we have a good idea of what is wrong with the system, so we can be sure that it is safe to fly" then people will be very forgiving. Or if the explanation is that this is the last chance to fix the IFE for the next 48 hours because of where the flight is going, the say that; people will be forgiving.

There's often this inexplicable reluctance to explain what is going on, and in the absence of information, a large group of annoyed people will make up their own reasons, that will almost certainly include assertions about how stupid or uncaring the airline is.
Fully agree. While I don't think it's helpful for the pilot to say "the XK47-19 discomputational module in the starboard kawoozie nacelle is showing 43 milliquarks while the limit is 41, so we need to remove the ishkibble housing to replace it," just explaining in basic laymans terms what's wrong, and being honest about how long its going to take to fix, is always better than being opaque.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Fully agree. While I don't think it's helpful for the pilot to say "the XK47-19 discomputational module in the starboard kawoozie nacelle is showing 43 milliquarks while the limit is 41, so we need to remove the ishkibble housing to replace it,"
That's all I needed to hear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.