Search

PDX -> SFO -> NRT/HND questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, UA PLAT, AmEx Plat
PDX -> SFO -> NRT/HND questions

Trying to get some international flyer wisdom here

I am planning a trip from PDX to NRT/HND this September (my exact days Sept 10 - Sept 20 if this matters) with my wife.
The obvious choices are Delta direct (but i have 0 status on delta this year), or United via SFO. (I am platinum on United).

The base price is about the same, with Delta I would pay extra $300 for economy+ per person, with United i don't have that expense.

Here are my questions.
1) What's the probably of being able to upgrade on SFO-HND/ HND-NRT flights? I will willing to pay miles or $ for upgrade within reason.
2) The connection in SFO is 48 minutes, what's the probably of not making it? (UA7950->UA6409).

Other considerations
1) I have 200k+ united points 150k+ amex points 150k+ chase points - but can't put anything meaningful together for business/first class on any airline using these.
2) Open to other airlines/possibilities, did I miss something?
Old May 26, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The odds of upgrades are relatively low out of SFO, so I'm going to focus on your 2nd query (award ticketing).

There is availability in BF SFO-LAX-TYO on September 10th. However, PDX-SFO in F is not always available. You can reserve SFO-LAX-TYO and then call in to add PDX.

Then you can waitlist for SFO-NRT (as the direct flight is not yet available).

The way home is a bit more grim - I found nothing at all TYO-SFO/LAX in BF or economy.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by moshennik
Here are my questions.
1) What's the probably of being able to upgrade on SFO-HND/ HND-NRT flights? I will willing to pay miles or $ for upgrade within reason.
2) The connection in SFO is 48 minutes, what's the probably of not making it? (UA7950->UA6409).
(1) Easy route to upgrade. You will likely be able to confirm in advance with miles + copay. Or possibly a cash buy-up at check-in, but that availability cannot be predicted.

(2) 48 minutes may be legal, but it's too risky IMO. If you miss, the next TYO flights are NRT the following day.

Originally Posted by aacharya
The odds of upgrades are relatively low out of SFO, so I'm going to focus on your 2nd query (award ticketing).
That is really not true for SFO-HND. R is available more often than not.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

There is availability in BF SFO-LAX-TYO on September 10th. However, PDX-SFO in F is not always available. You can reserve SFO-LAX-TYO and then call in to add PDX.

Then you can waitlist for SFO-NRT (as the direct flight is not yet available).

The way home is a bit more grim - I found nothing at all TYO-SFO/LAX in BF or economy.
Thank you. I saw the SFO-LAX-NRT flight, but to me it means PDX-SFO-LAX-NRT, and i am just not going to do it, even in first.
I also looked at Seattle - NRT flight, but there is no PDX - Seattle in United.. so I would have to fly something else there..

Originally Posted by Kacee
(1) Easy route to upgrade. You will likely be able to confirm in advance with miles + copay. Or possibly a cash buy-up at check-in, but that availability cannot be predicted.

(2) 48 minutes may be legal, but it's too risky IMO. If you miss, the next TYO flights are NRT the following day.

That is really not true for SFO-HND. R is available more often than not.
Thank you! What's the typical miles + copay for an upgrade?
Also, what happens if you miss the connection in SFO, do they put you up overnight?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 26, 2015 at 7:25 pm Reason: Merge
Old May 26, 2015, 11:31 am

Expect to pay $600 + 30,000 per person each way. Is that "within reason" for your budget?

You probably will make it, though UA7950 is operated by ANA so no upgrades on that. And if you miss there are more flights to PDX later.

1) I have 200k+ united points 150k+ amex points 150k+ chase points - but can't put anything meaningful together for business/first class on any airline using these.
2) Open to other airlines/possibilities, did I miss something?[/QUOTE]
There are 2 C award seats LAX-NRT on the 10th. Fly down the night before on PDX-DEN-LAX and then out to NRT in the morning.

On the 20th there are 2 C seats ICN-LAX on TG. Award flight from TYO to SEL suck a bit right now at first glance but it might work out.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Expect to pay $600 + 30,000 per person each way. Is that "within reason" for your budget?

You probably will make it, though UA7950 is operated by ANA so no upgrades on that. And if you miss there are more flights to PDX later.

2) Open to other airlines/possibilities, did I miss something?
There are 2 C award seats LAX-NRT on the 10th. Fly down the night before on PDX-DEN-LAX and then out to NRT in the morning.

On the 20th there are 2 C seats ICN-LAX on TG. Award flight from TYO to SEL suck a bit right now at first glance but it might work out.[/QUOTE]

$600 + 30,000 sounds very reasonable to me.
You are saying if this is not a flight operated by United I can't buy up for an upgrade?
Old May 26, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
$600 + 30,000 sounds very reasonable to me.
That's per passenger, each way. That's also for the cheapest discount fare. The upgrade price goes down as the fare price goes up.

You are saying if this is not a flight operated by United I can't buy up for an upgrade?
Correct. If you want to upgrade, you need to pick one of the UA operated flights.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct. If you want to upgrade, you need to pick one of the UA operated flights.
Or buy a Y or B fare and pay only miles but likely to be so much more expensive that way as to not really be worth considering.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

What about if i take non-united flight PDX-LAX and LAX-PDX.

Now I can book first class using miles LAX-NRT for 65k miles each - i like this .
Is it possible to book flight out using miles and flight back using $?
Old May 26, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about if i take non-united flight PDX-LAX and LAX-PDX.

Now I can book first class using miles LAX-NRT for 65k miles each - i like this .
Is it possible to book flight out using miles and flight back using $?
You can fly non-UA, but luggage may not check through, and if you miss the flight, it's on you.

As for miles out, $ back - yes. But normally one-ways TPAC are much more than half of the RT. (Note I think LAX-NRT is 65K in BF, not technically 3-class F).

My apologies also on assuming SFO-HND was as tough as LAX-NRT with respect to upgrades.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Or buy a Y or B fare and pay only miles but likely to be so much more expensive that way as to not really be worth considering.
Not an option if OP purchases the UA codeshare.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

You can fly non-UA, but luggage may not check through, and if you miss the flight, it's on you.

As for miles out, $ back - yes. But normally one-ways TPAC are much more than half of the RT. (Note I think LAX-NRT is 65K in BF, not technically 3-class F).

My apologies also on assuming SFO-HND was as tough as LAX-NRT with respect to upgrades.
We always travel with carry-on only.. so not worried about luggage.
I do see one way NRT-LAX $3800 for some reason. I will be calling United in a few to figure it out.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:48 pm

have u checked YVR?
assuming u'd consider non-UA metal
Old May 26, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pruss2ny
have u checked YVR?
assuming u'd consider non-UA metal
Non UA metal is 75k oneway in BF.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:21 pm

Non UA metal is 75k oneway in BF.
And not worth it IMO for a simple US-Japan roundtrip. It's only a 9 hour flight on the return.

If you're going to burn the miles for a *A partner J or F award, it ought to be a multi-segment itinerary, preferably with OJ and stopover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.