Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA922 [EWR-LHR] Poor Experiences with BF Cabin Crew - Normal service or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum

On Tuesday, I was on UA922 EWR-LHR in BF due to IRROPS.

This is the first time I've travelled Eastbound in the AM.
I'm trying to work out if the service was "as expected" or not with respect to this particular service.

- No pre-departure drinks were offered
- GS, then 1K were directly offered meal choices before making rounds in cabin
- Wine glass removed after 3 glasses, without asking me if I wanted more
- Service director removed the bottle of port from the cheese cart before it arrived to me in row 2. I'm not sure if it was offered to the pax behind me

Also, the menu was wrong, and the pre-arrival snack was a cheeseburger on pretzel roll, not the chicken wrap as printed.

Overall, this was one of my least favourite flights in BF, and I just feel the service was not up to scratch, so am wondering if this is a normal level of crappy, or was I just unlucky?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm Reason: cleaned up thread title
Old May 21, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
That's not how it should be at all, besides meal priority...
Old May 21, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I've taken this flight at least 10 times in the past 18 months - that is NOT how it should be... I particularly like to have wine on this flight as by the time I get to central london and then to the hotel it's time to go to bed....
Old May 21, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
That is terrible service. Let UA know about it.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yeah, that is my favorite flight to Europe, as it really works nicely with my biological rhythms to get a little toasty on the plane, then have a great late dinner in London upon arrival, and then to bed in the hotel. I almost always sleep great and wake up the next morning at a normal hour feeling great.

And yes, that was inappropriate service. No idea why that happened, and I agree you should let UA know. I have always had great service in BF on that flight. As far as the menu and food inconsistencies, that has nothing to do with the cabin crew, obviously.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof
Yeah, that is my favorite flight to Europe, as it really works nicely with my biological rhythms to get a little toasty on the plane, then have a great late dinner in London upon arrival, and then to bed in the hotel. I almost always sleep great and wake up the next morning at a normal hour feeling great.

And yes, that was inappropriate service. No idea why that happened, and I agree you should let UA know. I have always had great service in BF on that flight. As far as the menu and food inconsistencies, that has nothing to do with the cabin crew, obviously.
Of course the catering is independent of the crew, I was wondering if the route has any ongoing issues of any kind, or if I was just really (really) unlucky.

Will be speaking with CSC today regarding the issues (including paying for GF and flying BF, but that's another thread)
Old May 22, 2015, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skycrab

I'm trying to work out if the service was "as expected" or not with respect to this particular service.

- Service director removed the bottle of port from the cheese cart before it arrived to me in row 2. I'm not sure if it was offered to the pax behind me

Also, the menu was wrong, and the pre-arrival snack was a cheeseburger on pretzel roll, not the chicken wrap as printed.

Overall, this was one of my least favourite flights in BF, and I just feel the service was not up to scratch, so am wondering if this is a normal level of crappy, or was I just unlucky?
SHould have had the predeparture drinks, of course. Meal choices are correct that way, but usually they ask everyone in seat order rather than the GS and 1K then go back and ask everyone else.

As far as the wine glass, speculatin but maybe they've been told to cut people off. Seems like 3 glasses is plenty to me. Business Class isn't Spring Break.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
As far as the wine glass, speculatin but maybe they've been told to cut people off. Seems like 3 glasses is plenty to me. Business Class isn't Spring Break.
This is a joke correct?

The flt is 3457 miles. If UA told the FA's to cut people off with three glasses of wine/beer or cocktails - UA hit the new low of any Carrier on the planet. We are talking about rock gut wine, not three double Jack Daniels on the rocks, slammed in one hour. As for Business Class not being Spring Break - give me a break. It may be for some - perhaps they are on vacation/holiday, it is their birthday or they want to get what comes with that cabin. Free drinks/cocktails.

I think the FA's were simply being lazy and UA management should be notified.

In C or F the drinks should be given when requested, unless the PX appears intoxicated. Three glasses of wine - are you kidding me?

If the OP appeared intoxicated, perhaps drinking prior to the flt, that is another story. If not - UA truly sucks (or this crew).

I am guessing this is a joke statement.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

3 glasses in those thimbles is what like 1.5 glasses in a typical wine glass?
I can drink half a bottle and function fine, I don't need some dinosaur to reprimand me if I want to drink.
What next no sundae if you are overweight?
Old May 22, 2015, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1
This is a joke correct?

The flt is 3457 miles. If UA told the FA's to cut people off with three glasses of wine/beer or cocktails - UA hit the new low of any Carrier on the planet. We are talking about rock gut wine, not three double Jack Daniels on the rocks, slammed in one hour. As for Business Class not being Spring Break - give me a break. It may be for some - perhaps they are on vacation/holiday, it is their birthday or they want to get what comes with that cabin. Free drinks/cocktails.

I think the FA's were simply being lazy and UA management should be notified.

In C or F the drinks should be given when requested, unless the PX appears intoxicated. Three glasses of wine - are you kidding me?

If the OP appeared intoxicated, perhaps drinking prior to the flt, that is another story. If not - UA truly sucks (or this crew).

I am guessing this is a joke statement.
I was definitely not intoxicated, having flown the SFO-EWR red eye, sleeping the entire flight (sober) and then a further 2 hours in EWR before flying (no drinking either).

I had laryngitis and could barely speak, so while it could have been misinterpreted, I think that's a little unfair if that's the reason why.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:49 am

Did you tell them that you want more wine and they cut you off?
Was there any turbulence during the cheese service causing the port bottle to be removed?
Did you mention to the FAs that you want port with your cheese?
I'm not defending the FAs. However, there might be a reason why they did it that way. If you see something you want that they offer onboard, just ask.
to the PDB service.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I was definitely not intoxicated, having flown the SFO-EWR red eye, sleeping the entire flight (sober) and then a further 2 hours in EWR before flying (no drinking either).
I've done that route before (except through IAD). I'm impressed that you were alive enough to want anything - I've found I've been out of it on the day flight also.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I take 922 all the time and none of that is common. It's a great flight! Not only do the pax enjoy not having to travel over night, neither do the crew so everyone is happy. And with a good tailwind, it can come in quite early.

Early on in the CO takeover, it was a 757 and a CO crew and it had a very different feel (not saying better or worse) than those of us used to the UA style but then it converted back to UA legacy crews and the 767.

Sorry your flight sucked--I had one recently and it's really disappointing--but know it's typically a great flight.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not defending the service, but these things strike me as best resolved on the spot and not with a complaint afterwards unless the situation was not resolved to your satisfaction.

1. If you want more wine and they've taken your glass, just ask for more. Unless they have cut you off because you appear intoxicated, there really isn't more to it.

2. If you want port, ask for it. Not uncommon to remove bottles if there is even a bit of turbulence.

As to the meal order thing, it's silly and meant to pander to people who've been suckered by the GS/1K "status" thing. Of course they should take the orders in some rational seat order. Head back to the galley and sort it there so the GS gets first choice and so on. But, that's not changing.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I've done that route before (except through IAD). I'm impressed that you were alive enough to want anything - I've found I've been out of it on the day flight also.
I was supposed to be on UA930 in Global First, but the flight was cancelled so was in Y (middle seat) to EWR and then supposed to be Global First to LHR, but equipment swap to 2-class 767.

I have never wanted to be back in London so badly, and never to repeat this route again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.