Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Would it help to add that, just in case Wifi doesn't work, that UA has really good IFE, more than enough stuff to keep you preoccupied? Have a safe and fun trip.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
United 934/935 Los Angeles-Heathrow WiFi?

I took 934 last week, very comfortable flight. I don't believe my plane had wiFi though (sUA772), but the movies were fine.

I did note the option to create your own audio playlist was lacking. The audio selections were very skimpy.

I was pleased with a drink service and then another drink service with dinner right after.

Enjoy the flight! Be sure to take off the headphones and experience the takeoff. It rocks (in a good way)
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Father in-Law

Father in-Law was an anxious flier. We made sure he had Xanax. I'm serious. Wifi was not the answer. Too much access to data was worse than "better living through pharmaceuticals."

Have a great trip.

P.S. I've had 10 TATL on UA this year and wifi has worked on all of them.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I'm not sure you can expect to be available and working on any airline 100% of the time quite yet, however, when it is up on UA, I've found it to be above average. Granted, it is up on about 3 out of 5 flights I've been on, all TCON & TPAC...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jtalb
Well, it's going to be my first time flying and my anxiety is going to be through the roof. Since there's WiFi, I'd be able to talk to my significant other via iMessage. This usually calms me down. So I guess, it's the latter.
I can completely relate. I have been there - in fact, twenty years ago, I took Amtrak from New York to Chicago to avoid flying (and, 22 miserable hours later, I made a very conscious decision to fly). Today, a few million miles later, I usually calm fellow passengers during turbulence (unless I am asleep). IME, familiarity brings comfort.

I have a couple of suggestions for you:

- I would not have LAX-LHR be my first flight as an anxious flyer - it is a bit long; take your significant other on a short hop for a weekend somewhere before (LAS or SFO are about the right distance from LAX). Make sure it is a mainline jet (Boeing or Airbus), and sit in the aisle. Avoid looking through the window - look at something inside the plane (FAs, signage, aisle etc.);

- Pharmaceuticals help (USHPNWDLUA's Xanax suggestion is great), especially if those can make you sleep; booze helps, too;

- Distractions help - if you have a tablet, load it up with the greatest show you have always wanted to watch; if reading a book is your thing, bring several - also, IFE is your friend;

- For me, the most anxious time of the flight was the take off - first three minutes of the flight, in fact. So I used to count to 200 from leaving ground - by the time I reached 200, the plane would have reached 10,000 ft. and take off would be over. As would most of the noise and turbulence associated with it;

- As others have pointed out, wifi may not be enough - and it is not going to work during the most anxiety-ridden moments of your flight (taxi to the runway and take off) - it only works past 10,000 ft;

- Explain this to an FA - they tend to be very good at this. If a plane is empty, one may sit next to you; or, much more likely, one will ask you to maintain an eye contact with her (which helps!). They have to be seated until 10,000 ft. - at which point wifi will start working and your SO can take over. Now, UA being UA, you may get a brushoff - but it does not hurt to ask. For what is worth, I never got a brushoff - and that was pmCO in pre-Bethune era, when employee morale was much, much worse that it is now at UA.

Good luck - and enjoy your flight. And do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Last edited by nikolastojsin; Mar 31, 2015 at 4:01 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
We fly 934/935 all the time, and can say the crew are usually outstanding, and exceptionally friendly, so take the time to talk to a flight attendant about it, and I'm sure they'll be reassuring!

I do also recommend you visit your doctor for a prescription of valium or xanax.
Even in the UK (I'm not sure which side you're based on), most doctors will prescribe a sufficient number of lower dose valium for those who ask for it for flying.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:07 pm

Thanks to all that have replied. I've opted to go for the United 934/935 flight given the suggestions that you've provided. I'll visit the doctor closer to my departure date to get a prescription of xanax or valium.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jtalb
I'll visit the doctor closer to my departure date to get a prescription of xanax or valium.
If you've never taken it before I suggest doing so outside of a plane the first time.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is it Xanax, Valium or Ambien that make people the "zombies" on flights where they take their pants off and go and get a diet coke from the galley but then "wake up" 5 hours later not remembering a thing?

So ya...maybe give it a test run for 2 or 3 nights at home first.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you've never taken it before I suggest doing so outside of a plane the first time.
Last time I took Valium, I ended up losing two wisdom teeth.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Is it Xanax, Valium or Ambien that make people the "zombies" on flights where they take their pants off and go and get a diet coke from the galley but then "wake up" 5 hours later not remembering a thing?

So ya...maybe give it a test run for 2 or 3 nights at home first.
Most of the real fun stories seem to involve ambien, but I think I've seen a few involving Xanax or Valium - usually related to mixing with liquor.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Most of the real fun stories seem to involve ambien, but I think I've seen a few involving Xanax or Valium - usually related to mixing with liquor.
Indeed, they do.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...al-crime.html?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:15 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Have been on UA934 three times this year. Once with no wifi, twice with an email from UA telling me there would be wifi (but there actually wasn't, once I got on the plane).
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:54 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Lack Of Wifi

I am going to be flying PHL-IAH-LOS-IAH-PHL. Amazingly, no wifi on any of the four flights. I called to verify and the agent said "I am not surprised." Three different plane types---737-700/900 and a 787 a total of almost 16000 miles in the air. I find it a sad state of affairs. The only reason I am on this flight is that I am trying to burn my miles.

Beginning of the year, I switched over to AA on a challenge--I wanted upgrades, wifi and good Irrops. I am getting all of them and have been amazingly pleased. This encounter reminds me of why I switched--tired of "waiting" for UA to catch up, to deliver.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jpsj
This encounter reminds me of why I switched--tired of "waiting" for UA to catch up, to deliver.
You had a long wait for AA to catch up with E+ and flat seats in J. You may have a shorter wait for them to catch up with mileage earning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.