Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
It was awful on day 1. My refund was just processed.
Ugh. I hope it's working well tomorrow EWR-SFO!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:58 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
No WiFi on 737-800?

I am looking at flight 939 from IAD to PHX on May 12.

I thought all the 737-800's had WiFi. There is no WiFi indication on the United website.

Does this really not have WiFi or is it just an error on the website?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Nearly a year out the schedules and information are notional at best.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
I am looking at flight 939 from IAD to PHX on May 12.

I thought all the 737-800's had WiFi. There is no WiFi indication on the United website.

Does this really not have WiFi or is it just an error on the website?
They all have WiFi. It's an error on the Web site.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:32 am

Can any fellow frequent fliers on UA179 (EWR-HKG) share about their wifi experiences particularly around the north pole areas and as you fly through China Air Space? The UA wifi map shows no wifi service, but I find that odd because I've flown LH between ICN and FRA/MUC a number of times and always have wifi service when flying through China so why the restriction?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
There's a wifi coverage map?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
There's a wifi coverage map?
Wi-Fi satellite coverage map
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by trust77
Can any fellow frequent fliers on UA179 (EWR-HKG) share about their wifi experiences particularly around the north pole areas and as you fly through China Air Space? The UA wifi map shows no wifi service, but I find that odd because I've flown LH between ICN and FRA/MUC a number of times and always have wifi service when flying through China so why the restriction?
It had been previously restricted over China airspace, but every flight I've taken in the past year, the WiFi has worked over China. It's mostly the polar region where there's poor- to no connectivity.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Not sure if this has been covered yet, but on a recent high density 777-222 flight from BOS-SFO, there was an announcement that wi-fi is limited to 209 devices on that plane and due to the high number of passengers, passengers may have to wait for others to sign out before getting wifi. Sure enough, I was never able to get on to wifi due to too many people already using it. Impacted not just internet, but also ability to use personal device entertainment.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bad news - on 50% of my UA flights this year, Wi-Fi has either been non-existent or so spotty that it was basically useless.

Good news - UA refunds the purchase price quickly and without drama.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:56 pm

wifi on 77w

Hey,

i remember when the 777-300 came out there were all kinds of wifi issues-- have those been resolved?

I am now flying it NRT-EWR in october and hoping wifi has been squared away and working...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by jp12687
Hey,

i remember when the 777-300 came out there were all kinds of wifi issues-- have those been resolved?

I am now flying it NRT-EWR in october and hoping wifi has been squared away and working...
I've used it T-PAC twice. Typical performance, moderate speed, drops out on occasion, especially near the pole. I think the price SFO<>HKG was ~$29. Not bad for a 14-hour flight. Compared to, that is, when I flew it SFO-EWR and they wanted $33 for less than five hours. SMH.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
I've used it T-PAC twice. Typical performance, moderate speed, drops out on occasion, especially near the pole. I think the price SFO<>HKG was ~$29. Not bad for a 14-hour flight. Compared to, that is, when I flew it SFO-EWR and they wanted $33 for less than five hours. SMH.
yea their pricing is all out of whack-- $40 SFO-EWR but $16 EWR-HKG.

But atleast its working

thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
I consistently have a bad experience with WiFi on sCO 752s (75B). When it works, it's seems slower than other planes in the fleet, and have had multiple flights where it cuts out completely mid-flight or becomes so slow it's unusable. I've had my fair share of problems on other planes too, particularly the 77G (and sometimes the Airbus fleet) but nothing has as consistent a problem as the sCO 752.

I've begun avoiding this plane when I book transcons because of the WiFi. (Also, of course, IFE system is much better on the sUA 752s and they have a bigger front cabin.)

Anyone else feel this way?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by eklapper
I consistently have a bad experience with WiFi on sCO 752s (75B). When it works, it's seems slower than other planes in the fleet, and have had multiple flights where it cuts out completely mid-flight or becomes so slow it's unusable. I've had my fair share of problems on other planes too, particularly the 77G (and sometimes the Airbus fleet) but nothing has as consistent a problem as the sCO 752.
+1. I flew SFO-IAH on a 752 last week and the WiFi was unbelievably bad -- slow and choppy at the level I'm used to over Greenland on LHR-SFO, not a standard domestic midcon.

The only thing to be said in its favour versus the 28J 752 (the only other common lieflat J option I have) is WiFi is much cheaper. That said, I'll pay for Gogo given it typically works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.