Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare $250 higher when trying to use flight credit!

Old May 17, 2015, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, WN A Pref

So I tried to book a flight from DEN to IAH on United.com with credit from a cancelled reservation and noticed that the First Class fare I was being quoted was $250 higher (plus the $200 change fee) than if I booked it without the credit. Its bad enough with a change fee but to charge a higher fare also? What gives?
Old May 17, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Oops, editing my response.

I've seen this before. Best way around it is to find the itinerary you want, price it out, then call to purchase (and ask to use the previous flight credit after the agent has priced the ticket).

You can get fancy and try to hold the new itinerary with the paypal trick or with farelock, then call, but it is usually not necessary.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes it's a known error. It's also a DOT violation.

Usually takes an assist from web support to book at the correct price.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, WN A Pref
I spoke with two different agents and they quoted me the higher fare even as I tried to tell them its cheaper on the reservation page! Ill try web support next time.

I ended up just booking economy which strangely enough had the correct fare. My remaining balance became an ETC so it should not be an issue in the future.

Not a good way to keep customers United!!!
Old May 17, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seascott
I spoke with two different agents and they quoted me the higher fare even as I tried to tell them its cheaper on the reservation page! Ill try web support next time.
Yes, that's why you typically have to ask for web support. The phone agents do not see the united.com interface that you get running a clean search; they're getting the same faulty feed that you are in this situation. And they are typically unaware of the problem and act as if you're just making stuff up.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we should also start reporting these things directly to [email protected] and include "Bug Bounty Submission" in the subject line. " If they keep getting the same report from us, they might take it more seriously.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
I think we should also start reporting these things directly to [email protected] and include "Bug Bounty Submission" in the subject line. " If they keep getting the same report from us, they might take it more seriously.
I picture a master log of all the IT bugs up in Willis Tower. These are divided in two. In one list, are the bugs which cost UA money, like $5 TATL fares. These are given top priority for fixing.

In the other list, are the bugs which make UA money - bugs like this higher fare for applying ETCs or the famous bait and switch online upgrade offers that price low and charge the credit card at a multiple of the offer. These bugs seem to be cherished by UA's savvy management.

Who knows, they might even be tied into the executive bonus formulas, at least indirectly?
Old May 17, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by seascott
So I tried to book a flight from DEN to IAH on United.com with credit from a cancelled reservation and noticed that the First Class fare I was being quoted was $250 higher (plus the $200 change fee) than if I booked it without the credit. Its bad enough with a change fee but to charge a higher fare also? What gives?
Did you happen to notice the fare buckets on the two FC offerings? I wonder if the search engine with a flight credit doesn't correctly find -UP fares.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The bug bounties seem to be for security problems, not bad information.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Did you happen to notice the fare buckets on the two FC offerings? I wonder if the search engine with a flight credit doesn't correctly find -UP fares.
It's more complicated than that. I've run into this problem on long-haul itineraries with no possibility of an UP issue.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Question Do you work for free??

Some people love United so much, they would volunteer to test their website and write up a report for them.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Perhaps they'd take it more seriously if people started filing DOT reports...
Old May 17, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's more complicated than that. I've run into this problem on long-haul itineraries with no possibility of an UP issue.
I wonder if it's embedding the change fee in the add-collect in some cases. I had an odd situation a month ago where I searched for the flights I wanted and noted what the add-collect plus change fee would be. I then went to "Change Flights" on the canceled reservation and the fares were higher (and there was no change fee noted) but the net charge to me was the same.

Thought it odd at the time, but didn't follow up.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
Some people love United so much, they would volunteer to test their website and write up a report for them.
Huh? We are already the victim of these bugs so the e-mail/bounty program maybe a more direct way to those who can fix the problem. Why not?

You are proud of your no-status with UA ("Programs: UA no status and proud of it") but for those of us who have high status, it is a relationship and we do want to have problems in the relationship fixed.

Originally Posted by mduell
The bug bounties seem to be for security problems, not bad information.
It also says "Bugs on customer-facing websites..." and I certainly view it as "issues that affect the confidentiality, integrity and/or availability of customer or company information" as it does not compute the fare correctly for the customer and can subject UA to DOT fines.

Only those big security defects get awards though.

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Perhaps they'd take it more seriously if people started filing DOT reports...
Definitely.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
I picture a master log of all the IT bugs up in Willis Tower. These are divided in two. In one list, are the bugs which cost UA money, like $5 TATL fares. These are given top priority for fixing.

In the other list, are the bugs which make UA money - bugs like this higher fare for applying ETCs or the famous bait and switch online upgrade offers that price low and charge the credit card at a multiple of the offer. These bugs seem to be cherished by UA's savvy management.

Who knows, they might even be tied into the executive bonus formulas, at least indirectly?
And even if they aren't actually cherished they almost certainly to go the end of the line on getting fixed. Given their budget cuts it's basically certain that they get nowhere all the way through the bug list.

As far as I'm concerned the only way to stop this sort of thing is to make bugs that steal money subject to a considerable multiplier in the penalty. For example, the recent lawsuit about entertainment purchases on international flights--the government should have looked at how many sales there were on such flights in say the last 3 years, the fine is 10x this amount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.