New safety video coming

Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by jackadler1966
The only Bond scene I can relate that to was from Moonraker, between Bond and Jaws. But that was in Rio.
That was the one to which I was referring. It was always my best guess.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
My only complaint is the UA commercial being played immediately prior to the safety video with no break in between. Have the safety video, but don't make me watch a commercial while I am a captive audience on the plane.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I miss Smisek's first in-flight video when he kept repeatedly making large chopping gestures with his hands. Someone must have noticed, because for the next one, they mostly only showed him from the shoulders up!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Lots of times, funny safety announcements go viral. (Southwest comes to mind). These are usually craftily delivered by wonderful flight attendants.

The problem is that the are funny the first time - and really, really annoying after that.

I really like UA's video. But agree with other's that it is too long.

(I always wonder about the seen where the basket of fruit is being stored. Wonder how they will get that past inspection - assuming they are on an international flight!)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Make ten slightly different versions of the safety video, and play them according to the calendar date (1st, 11th, 21st and 31st use the first version, etc). If you travel a lot, you will likely sample all ten versions and some.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Make ten slightly different versions of the safety video, ....
Considering you need to have aircraft specific modifications also and would need to get the right daily version on the right aircraft for the right day -- this would significant impact the expenses and logistics.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by physioprof
I miss Smisek's first in-flight video when he kept repeatedly making large chopping gestures with his hands. Someone must have noticed, because for the next one, they mostly only showed him from the shoulders up!
13 times, to be exact.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by PTahCha
13 times, to be exact.
Awesome that you counted! My wife and I loved that video, and always would mimic his hand-chopping while it played. FAs seemed to always enjoy our little comedy routine.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I find the current one is cringe-makingly bad so I'm looking forward to a new one.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:59 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Sounds like a new safety video is in the works based on this offer email I received today. Just when I was getting the current one memorized. Wonder if it will be serious, goofy or whimsical?

Go behind-the-scenes at United Airlines World Headquarters
Join us on May 12th at Willis Tower for the filming of our next in-flight safety video. You and a guest will experience the "Hollywood" hair and makeup treatment, enjoy a private tour of the United Network Operations Center and receive hotel accommodations in downtown Chicago.
This experience includes:

Roundtrip United Economy domestic airfare for two to Chicago, IL (ORD)*

Three night hotel accommodations for two in Chicago (Monday, May 11 - Thursday, May 14, 2015)

Pre-shoot hair and makeup treatment

A day on the set of the next United in-flight safety video

Behind-the-scenes tour for two of the United Network Operations Center
Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Bid now.

Link to bid here: https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/L..._date=20150427

No clue if it is open to anyone or was targeted.
Finally... It makes me so angry that the current video has the flight attendant telling the taxi driver about the importance of wearing a seatbelt....all while SHE IS NOT WEARING HERS!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NDN
Finally... It makes me so angry that the current video has the flight attendant telling the taxi driver about the importance of wearing a seatbelt....all while SHE IS NOT WEARING HERS!
Ha! At least she then buckles her lap belt (as if car safety is stuck in the '60s). Watch the 747 version to see her use a shoulder harness post-lecture.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
New safety video coming

The last PMUA version had the right balance of information, professional, run time, yet not simply the inside of a plane. With calm plinky notes. And the first 8 seconds never ceased to rock.

And of course the *click* one Matthew linked to up thread is an all time great.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
They need to be serious about this safety video. The people who really need to watch it are the ones who don't fly often. References to real aircraft cabin layout and identifying items should be the focus. It seems references to a taxi cab, tour bus, palm tree, fighting Gondola, etc. was over the top. I don't take safety as entertainment, I take it seriously. I've sat through 3,500+ safety announcements/videos so I think I understand what to do in event of emergency. I am more concerned of my fellow travelers who are not plane savvy that they might not know what to do because the video made light of a very serious matter and did a poor job educating the non-seasoned traveler.
This. Safety videos shouldn't be trying to be funny all the time. It was fine when Delta had the subtly cheeky Deltalina FA, and it's fine for a quirky LCC like VX to have that weird cartoony one, but now these videos are going too far. I'm guessing the fact that they're inviting pax to be in the new one signifies that maybe UA is going back to a more traditional video.

I wasn't a fan of the last PMUA one as it looked really cheap. My favorite is probably the first one post-merger. It looked high quality and told you everything you needed to know in 3 minutes. Though the 90s one was really really awesome, too.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Air New Zealand knows how to make a good video!!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 1, 2015 at 2:40 pm Reason: OT comment removed
Old May 1, 2015, 1:44 am

They're taking the kangaroos away? NOOOOOOOOOO!

And what about Valeria, the incredibly gorgeous woman who was in both of the most recent videos? They have to keep her!

The only one that I think is better is Icelandair.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.