Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by nddomer04
Thanks so much for the great trip report! Just one small edit. UA often flies the 757 w/ 16 lie flat seats in F from DEN-OGG/KOA. The 777 flying the DEN-HNL route is the one with the recliner seats in F.
youre welcome. I see trip reports as a necessary service on FT when one collects so much info from many places here and there are others trying to get up to speed.

2 notes - 1) thanks to mods for moving to an appropriate collection thread. I had never seen this thread, maybe cause it had been a while since any 'report' part had been posted in here.

2) I never knew about the infrequent DEN 757 service - fixed. Although I'd be worried about choosing that option given its infrequency.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Paid F No pillow

My wife and I flew UA 1731 (Kona, Hawaii-Denver) Saturday night in paid F. No pillows. Purser originally told her that he would get us pillows, then told me that UA had discontinued them several years ago. This was a lie-flat, though narrow, 757. The "blanket" was marginally larger than the dinner napkin (dinner was a different story--way overcooked ravioli for my wife and brisket for me that could not be cut by the knife provided).

If UA is going to be a LCC (flight was 6.5 hours), it should not charge for what was called F.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
indeed, but UA hasn't had pillows for years in F. Its a travesty.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Domestic F pillows were optimized out a while ago (possibly by one of the premerger carriers and then spread to the whole merged carrier), while the blankets were optimized to gauze.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by entropy
indeed, but UA hasn't had pillows for years in F. Its a travesty.
Originally Posted by mduell
Domestic F pillows were optimized out a while ago (possibly by one of the premerger carriers and then spread to the whole merged carrier), while the blankets were optimized to gauze.
This is incorrect. There are recent UA trip reports (including one from DEN-HNL) with photos of the wrapped blankets and the pillows atop them in the seats on boarding. The current blanket is better than it used to be, but the pillow is simply adequate.

It sounds like a combo of a lying FA and/or a provisioning error.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This is incorrect. There are recent UA trip reports (including one from DEN-HNL) with photos of the wrapped blankets and the pillows atop them in the seats on boarding. The current blanket is better than it used to be, but the pillow is simply adequate.

It sounds like a combo of a lying FA and/or a provisioning error.
Partially correct. The wide-bodies seem to have pillows, but the narrow-bodies DEFINITELY do not. I fly the narrow-bodies at least twice a month from/to the Islands and they do not provision pillows - and have not, for years. You owe the FA an apology.

Originally Posted by euslaner
...If UA is going to be a LCC (flight was 6.5 hours), it should not charge for what was called F.
Good luck finding a LCC with lie flats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2016 at 7:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Partially correct. The wide-bodies seem to have pillows, but the narrow-bodies DEFINITELY do not. I fly the narrow-bodies at least twice a month from/to the Islands and they do not provision pillows - and have not, for years. You owe the FA an apology.
Gotchya, the most recent reports are a 777 and a 764, so that makes sense.

It seems the FA was only partially correct as well. Just another one of United's many delightful inconsistencies.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

It seems the FA was only partially correct as well. Just another one of United's many delightful inconsistencies.
It's really worth booking a wide body flight to the Islands. The experience is markedly better than the single aisle aircraft, in all cabins.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
It's really worth booking a wide body flight to the Islands. The experience is markedly better than the single aisle aircraft, in all cabins.
Yeah, I'd prefer the wide-bodies, but RPU and CPUs are easier on narrow-bodies to/from Left Coast.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yeah, I'd prefer the wide-bodies, but RPU and CPUs are easier on narrow-bodies to/from Left Coast.
Depends on when and where you travel, I guess. I saw more R9s on 777s for April and May of 2017 when 737s were at R0. These are for Mondays and Wednesday flights from/to SFO.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Depends on when and where you travel, I guess. I saw more R9s on 777s for April and May of 2017 when 737s were at R0. These are for Mondays and Wednesday flights from/to SFO.
Sorry - I was actually talking about harder-to-get-upgrades beyond Left Coast. A 777 out of SFO is very upgradable.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry - A 777 out of SFO is very upgradable.
They are much harder than they used to be. UA also charges a premium for the widebody flights compared to the 737s.

They do provision the international 752s with pillows sometimes, but it is not consistent. I've always gotten them on the Hawaii 772s.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
They do provision the international 752s with pillows sometimes, but it is not consistent. I've always gotten them on the Hawaii 772s.
Ouch! Like earlier posters have reported on, we'll be in F on IAD-HNL (B772) and HNL-DEN-IAD (B757 w/lie flat for the first leg). Never occurred to me that they'd not have pillows with lie flat seats...even worse to some extent than no pillow in a recliner since the full weight of your head isn't trying to find support on a recliner. Looks like time to invest in a couple of cheap, inflatable pillows.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:09 pm

Lay Flat to Hawaii

Hi
Im a Air CAnada member...

Have been flying yearly from YYZ-HNL usually via EWR or IAD to ensure a lie flat in J.

I was booked for NOv 30-Dec this year (via EWR both ways) but United changed the schedule - and now the connections dont work.
As far as I can see there is only lie flat to HNL via EWR..

(had IAD been discontinued? do any other cities have lie flat to HNL?)

UA now tells me to go via EWR that I have to overnight at EWR (at my expense) as the first am flight from EWR only leaves 30 min to connect in EWR. ON the way back they are giving me a 35 min connection (!) as they refuse to let me use an AC operated UA codeshare....

Is this correct? Do I have any other choices?
How is United non lie flat J (ie 777-200 via ORD) as compared to this hassle?

thanks for your help
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by llbean
Hi
Im a Air CAnada member...

Have been flying yearly from YYZ-HNL usually via EWR or IAD to ensure a lie flat in J.

I was booked for NOv 30-Dec this year (via EWR both ways) but United changed the schedule - and now the connections dont work.
As far as I can see there is only lie flat to HNL via EWR..

(had IAD been discontinued? do any other cities have lie flat to HNL?)

UA now tells me to go via EWR that I have to overnight at EWR (at my expense) as the first am flight from EWR only leaves 30 min to connect in EWR. ON the way back they are giving me a 35 min connection (!) as they refuse to let me use an AC operated UA codeshare....

Is this correct? Do I have any other choices?
How is United non lie flat J (ie 777-200 via ORD) as compared to this hassle?

thanks for your help
They are in the process of reconfiguring some of the Hawaii 777s to lie-flat...last I read, one was in service and another was being modified. Not sure how that will look when you fly, but there is a small chance anyways of being able to catch one on a route besides IAD/EWR - HNL. I have flown the ORD flight several times and it's still fine. Not as nice as the lie-flat but you still are comfortable and heading towards Hawaii.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.