Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this an FAA violation? What should be done?

Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite

I was on a flight, from IAD, last night that was seemingly delayed for no reason. The doors were locked AND "armed", but there we sat at the gate for 20 mins (with doors closed), which was 10 mins past take-off.

When suddenly the FA disarms both doors (jet bridge 2nd, and the opposing one first). I'm thinking "crap, something bad happened, we're getting deplaned." Well, thru the door passes a solitary trench coat with a nice lining, and then as quick as it was opened, the door was again closed and armed the jet-bridge door and then the opposing door....hands the coat to another FA who briskly walks it to the rear, assumably to hand to some DYKWIA individual. Which, immediately after doors were armed, the safety video commenced and we pushed back from the gate.

So, my questions are:

Is this against FAA regulations? As they NEVER open the door for a late passenger

Should this be reported to the FAA?

Should this be reported to United?

Am I over-reacting?

OR Am I just angry that the same FA also turned off the VOD tv show as we were about 9 mins from landing at, quite literally the VERY seconds, as they were trying to stop a nuclear reactor meltdown and weren't sure if it was in-time or not.

Also, my apologies if the wrong forum...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Nothing to write to anyone about in either instance.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
..but I thought it was a breach of security protocol if the doors were armed and were opened?? Or is that just a line they feed to the paying customers who are seconds late? and the door at the gate area is closed, but not the airplane door?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dgoedken
..but I thought it was a breach of security protocol if the doors were armed and were opened?? Or is that just a line they feed to the paying customers who are seconds late? and the door at the gate area is closed, but not the airplane door?
When a door is armed all it means is the slide is engaged. If it was armed and then opened the slide would blow. It has nothing to do with security.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
"Armed" refers to the automatic slide activation being enabled. The only thing that matters is that the flight crew has very strict rules on how to open the doors in order to insure they do not accidentally deploy the slide.

There is nothing security related to the door being armed.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:08 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Why would the FAA care? why would there be a regulation prohibiting opening a door after it was disarmed? What if someone needed to get off or emergency personnel needed to get on?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:12 pm

I don't have an answer to your question, and I have no idea if it's a security breach or not. But I would be pretty pissed off too. Ended up waiting ~12 hrs one time at EWR because I missed my flight by literally 1.5 minutes, and that was because my United flight was more than an hour late arriving at EWR.

What blew my mind is that the plane hadn't even started to push back. And I was first class and 1K. I didn't say anything and just took it like a man. They rebooked me on economy class and I still took it without opening my mouth or complaining to anyone (I had paid for an F fare).

I feel like there's a lot of subjectivity.

Personally, I'd just let it go if I were you. It just isn't worth your time.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Doors are opened all the time to let maintenance or emergency personnel onboard, or to deplane passengers - sometimes even voluntarily for long delays.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by phospho
I don't have an answer to your question, and I have no idea if it's a security breach or not. But I would be pretty pissed off too. Ended up waiting ~12 hrs one time at EWR because I missed my flight by literally 1.5 minutes, and that was because my United flight was more than an hour late arriving at EWR. ...
So because they did not let you on after the doors were closed, you would pissed off if they let some other pax on in the same situation?

Ignoring the reality of how the situation could be very different, why be pissed off for the other guy?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:31 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
OR Am I just angry that the same FA also turned off the VOD tv show as we were about 9 mins from landing at, quite literally the VERY seconds, as they were trying to stop a nuclear reactor meltdown and weren't sure if it was in-time or not..
I know this one! They DID stop the meltdown just in time!!

Seriously, what a weird situation over a trench coat. Enjoy the mystery. Had to be an extra special FA (they wouldn't do this for a coach passenger, would they?).
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
maybe the coat contained the pax's passport or other valuables ?
Or maybe was a standard issueCIA trench coat ?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No, no, no, and yes.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:15 pm

In before the link to the least substantive UA-related complaint thread.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As they NEVER open the door for a late passenger
Exaggeration much?

It's true it doesn't happen often, but never is a pretty strong assertion, considering we do have occasional reports of it happening. The problem is re-opening the door to put another pax on is rarely just as simple as opening and closing the door. When the door is closed, presumably the numbers have already been run, etc., and allowing them on means they have to recalculate these (fuel, weight/balance, etc.).

I've never had it happen to me personally (though had a couple of instances where I made it just before), but i would never suggest it hasn't happened.

If you think it might be against FAA regulations, then yes, you should probably report it. I would suggest if you do that, you be very clear in your report on which specific reg was violated. Also, yes, perhaps you are overreacting about the IFE thing.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The only FAA regulation violated would have occurred had the door been opened while still armed - and that would have delayed the flight even longer while they searched the other side of the airport for the missing gate agent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.