Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More on United's approach to Apple Watch

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
I'd much prefer that the resources being spent towards supporting the Apple Watch be spent on fixing SHARES.
And making sure the new United.com launching with a release as stable as possible. Not sure how much investment UA is making, but I would hope the development efforts for apple watch isn't distracting them from fixing existing systems and environments.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:57 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by channa
Doesn't gate to gate WiFi address much of this concern?

I know that some of the later Gogo updates allow for this, but I'm not sure if or which of UA's systems have this capability.
Yes, if it's installed in the aircraft, it works, and it's either gate-to-gate or we're above 10,000' Flight "map" displays, if installed and working, could also help provide info for the flight we're on, but not for connections.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the post.

Here's an example. Recent flight DEN SFO.

- Flight was delayed due to delay on incoming from FLL.

- Delay was known for a long time because plane was en-route. It should have been easy to calculate arrival time at DEN after plane was airborne.

- Delay was noted but they said it would board at 09:55pm and in fact it didn't board until well after 11:00pm.

- Couldn't find the gate, because the gate for DEN SFO was marked with a flight flying DEN DFW incorrectly.

- There were no notifications of revised departure time, we all just had to sit at the gate and wait. This, despite the fact, that the aircraft had been in the air for hours flying from FLL to DEN and again, arrival should have been known. There was no WX on this day/time making arrival unpredictable.

- On the morning of the day after my arrival (about 7 hours after landing SFO), my iPhone went crazy with notifications from the UA application about flight delays and status changes for the flight that I'd deplaned from 7 hours earlier. It was so bad that I had to completely power down my iPhone to get it to stop.

The overall experience on this trip was horrible, and I was thinking about a new thread just for that. Here, I'm focusing on aspects of this flight that were awful as a direct result of pathetic and incompetent IT systems providing no or incorrect information within the scope of the "use cases" being discussed for the watch.

This reminds me of the trip before this trip, flying SFO SEA, when the inbound was delayed for hours from EWR. The IT systems said that it was departing on time, and the gate agent and customer service desk insisted it was departing on time, even though the radar tracking showed the flight had not even approached the NV border. As a result, again, we all had to sit at the gate for hours.

A fancy watch that has a new application that tells me a flight is departing at the incorrect time is of no use whatsoever.

So, building a cute app in the Apple Watch on top of a pathetic and dysfunctional IT system is a total waste of time and money.

Better to cut the project, save the money, bump up the margin calculations that drive Jeff's multi-million dollar annual bonus, and let Jeff take the money home in the form of a bigger bonus. At least then it doesn't feel so pointless.

I can see it now. united decides not to have apple watch support. AA and DL, on the other hand, invest in it.

The UA forum will then have a thread, "DL and AA have apple watch support. Will UA follow?"
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
I can see it now. united decides not to have apple watch support. AA and DL, on the other hand, invest in it.

The UA forum will then have a thread, "DL and AA have apple watch support. Will UA follow?"
Somehow, I find that less irritating than watching them spend a ton of money to build a cutting edge app on top of a dysfunctional IT system that feeds it with incorrect information and provides no value to anyone whatsoever.

I find these priorities grossly misplaced when the fundamentals of running an airline are not in place.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I would love to see Android Wear or Pebble compatibility. A watch face for either would be a great start. I could envision being able to load my flights into Android wear and it updates much like weather, or on Pebble it works as a companion app (think the Dominos tracker.)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, Android Wear please! Would be so easy to have the barcode for a boarding pass be displayed there! I believe Delta does this already?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cybertronic
Yes, Android Wear please! Would be so easy to have the barcode for a boarding pass be displayed there! I believe Delta does this already?
You can do this now with Android wear. It's not through the UA app, but rather through Google Now. When you check-in, have the boarding pass sent to your Gmail and it should appear on your watch when you swipe left on the flight info. I don't ever use it since I prefer to use a paper boarding pass anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
BTW... United has by far the best iPhone app of the the major US carriers. I'm really glad they will be at the forefront with the watch as well.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have the United App and it does not have up-to-date information when it comes to gates and flight times.

I use the app to get have my boarding pass on it in addition to my paper boarding passes.

When it comes to gate information I go to to the full united.com website on my phone. Glad I did it on Wednesday night. My flight from SFO to ORD was showing gate 98 on my app (boarding pass and flight status). It was showing 94 on United.com. I checked the app again. Still showing gate 98. We left from gate 94.

I agree with Fly World and channa. Fix SHARES first.

Happy Travels.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE APPLE WATCH !!!

The fact that you'd like SHARES, or FCM, or whatever else is typically whined about ad nauseum, addressed has no bearing on this thread.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but c'mon!!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:36 pm

I highly doubt that the development of an Apple Watch app has anything to do with the internal reservations software they use or that the same groups would be involved with these. I'm not going to defend SHARES but I don't think it has much to do with this.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK ALERT

This thread is about United and the Apple Watch and not about SHARES and/or any other SHARES and non-Apple Watch related issues

goalie
UA forum Co-Moderator
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:18 pm

This is great news. I would love an alert if I clear standby/ upgrade list/ waitlist. Also while at the airport, if I am on a list for my next flight, it would be great to see a summary, e.g. "You are # of # on the (upgrade/standby) list. Currently # seats available."
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:34 pm

I should be receiving my Apple watch soon (not the $17K version), and am excited to give this functionality a try. As others have said, UA has a best in class iPhone app, and with the way they are approaching development of the iwatch app, it should be a nice complement to the phone app.

Boarding pass, timely notifications, and gate information for connecting flights (as soon as I hit the ground and turn off airplane mode) will be an excellent start.

As the OP stated: with the watch, too much information will be a turn off, not a benefit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2015 at 10:08 pm Reason: Let's stay on the issues, not the posters
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I have no priorities for United Continental's development of an Apple Watch app. Once I am able to reliably utilize and trust United Continental's baseline technology, I might consider using their Apple Watch technology. Until that happens, I have no interest in anything they may choose to build on a less-than-solid foundation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2015 at 10:09 pm Reason: stay on the issues, not the posters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.