Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL Reports 1Q-2015 Earnings of $508m Net, 77W Orders, Other Fleet News

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL Reports 1Q-2015 Earnings of $508m Net, 77W Orders, Other Fleet News

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
Does the plane have the range for ORD/EWR-SIN?
The 345 was the only aircraft with that range, and it operated under a significant payload restriction.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
AA SWUs work on all fares. UA SWUs work on select fares.

Chance of riding in Y is higher on UA.
First statement is true, second one is not.

The eventual 289-seat (?) configuration that AA will have on their 77E is to have 37-38J. PMCO 77E has 50J. The chance of not clearing is much higher on AA. AA Executive Platinums are frequently reporting failure to clear their SWU on popular routes like DFW-HKG.

On 788, AA has 28J versus 36J on UA.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channa
AA SWUs work on all fares. UA SWUs work on select fares.

Chance of riding in Y is higher on UA.
Do you have data that backs up a difference in clearance rates of GPUs vs. eVIPs on same/similar routes?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell

You'd need about 4000-5000 mi flight for the speed difference between a 777 and 737 to make up 30 minutes.
Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek...

Originally Posted by transportbiz
This report says they missed the EPS estimates.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/40725-unit...ats-estimates/
Consensus seemed to be $1.44 EPS. It just depends on whose estimate you are using.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Got to hand it to United, while 10-abreast might not be comfortable of POS/taller individuals, at least they are throwing 777's in the domestic lineup, something different besides RJ's and slimline 737's/A320's. I also appreciate pulling off 757's from Trans-Atlantic flights, putting them on Latin America/South America/domestic routes, and throwing 767-300's at them. The 777-300ER's should be interesting as well.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by EWR764

Consensus seemed to be $1.44 EPS. It just depends on whose estimate you are using.
So, an actual EPS of $1.32, (special items must be included, there are real) would appear to be a miss by 12 cents???
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 345 was the only aircraft with that range, and it operated under a significant payload restriction.
77L too, with less restrictions.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

So, an actual EPS of $1.32, (special items must be included, there are real) would appear to be a miss by 12 cents???
I think most of airline-related EPS estimates are PTI ex-specials ?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by samuel881
I think most of airline-related EPS estimates are PTI ex-specials ?
The estimates are, but the actual compared to the estimate seems to be dependent on who's doing the reporting?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

The estimates are, but the actual compared to the estimate seems to be dependent on who's doing the reporting?
If the estimates are based on PTI ex-specials, then you should be comparing actual PTI ex-specials to those estimates, not the post-specials numbers.

Some media might be comparing apples to oranges. I'd stick to larger outlets such as CNBC or Bloomberg for accurate comparisons.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by samuel881
If the estimates are based on PTI ex-specials, then you should be comparing actual PTI ex-specials to those estimates, not the post-specials numbers.

Some media might be comparing apples to oranges. I'd stick to larger outlets such as CNBC or Bloomberg for accurate comparisons.
This is my thought as well, but explains the lack of consistency in stories, and quotes...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I'm actually shocked they are switching up 787 orders for 773s. I would figure the 10 773s would be addition to the 787 orders. Anyone else feel this is a short sighted move?

The rumors of the 763s sticking around and in the new configuration is the best news, IMHO.

And the 777s coming back to domestic? What are they planning on doing with these? I hope to God they don't rip out the new AVOD systems for the dumpy streaming service on these birds. That would be tragic, but knowing this management team I wouldn't put it past them. Hopefully these 777s can offset the ridiculous frequencies on EWR/ORD-SFO and get more mainline to neglected second tier cities to some of the hubs.

What I think is too good to be true:

--Moving TATL 757s to domestic. Yeah, OK maybe they could free up 6-8 planes from the upgauging to Germany and Spain from EWR. But that still going to do nothing in the grand scheme of things unless they get more aggressive and cut British Isle routes as well.

--10-20 random frames from a foreign airline is vague news. They probably aren't even anywhere close to getting these planes, it's just smoke and mirrors.

--No reports of ETOPS 757s sticking around (sUA). Very disappointing. A wasted opportunity.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
Ouch... 4-6% PRASM decline forecast in 2Q, reduced capacity guidance to 1-2% ASM growth in 2015 on capacity increase of 2-3%. 3% PRASM reduction in domestic, 7% PRASM deficit international. 1% reduction in corporate revenue driven by 20% reduction in oil-related traffic. 2Q forecast to have the worst PRASM performance of the year, however.

Japan capacity will be reduced in 4Q by 7% yoy.
Ah, this is what I spotted as well. As you and I have civilly discussed and appear to reasonably agree ^ the real tell will be how United does in PRASM with growing capacity. I think its good to start with DL, who is UAs direct competitor (I’ll let someone like FWAAA discuss AA's results), and look at both guidance (for 2Q) and 1Q performance.

United’s total revenue fell 1% (delta’s grew by 5%!)
ASM was +.1% (basically flat), consolidated PRASM was +.4%
Domestically UAL’s ASM fell (1.2%) with a resulting PRASM increase of 2.3%
(this is not impacted by currency issues so can be compared to what DL did domestically, which was +2.1% PRASM on +7% ASM).

IMHO, UA yet again (as it has done for three years) shunk domestically which has supported its PRASM (here leading to an increase). Delta increased capacity and also PRASM. I think you could ask 100 people in the airline business which result they would rather have, and 100% would say DLs results were better domestically.

As I have said on the earlier thread, Internationally, UA did better, but I think this has more to do with the currency impacts being different while DL is reworking its network ex-SEA which takes time. I just can’t say how well DL did w/o them breaking out the currency issues from just their international business. My guess though given DL’s comment on their call last week that “ Our Seattle expansion is performing well, with domestic unit revenues up 2% on 55% higher capacity” is that SEA’s performance internationally is not a stand-out, otherwise they would have said. However, again it could be currency issues.

UAL’s 2Q 2015 quidence though is ugly. UAL will increase its ASM by 2.25 to 3.25% and will suffer a PRASM fall of (4 to 6%). Expenses, ex-fuel, are projected to go up by a midpoint of .75%. United does not break out the PRASM guidance by domestic vs. international (your post appears to indicate they said (3%) on the call) but its domestic ASM will go up by +1.5 to 2.5%. So as you and I have discussed, the eventual yield/PRASM numbers for UA domestically this quarter will give us a good gauge of their ability to attract/retain high value passengers when they are adding (not reducing) capacity. That appears to be domestic ASM midpoint of +2%, with PRASM fall of (3%), not good.

Delta’s guidance though was much better than UALs, as taken from their call:

“Now looking forward to the June quarter, we are forecasting total revenues to increase about 2%, with RASM down 2% to 4% on 3% higher capacity. About 3 points of that RASM decline is attributable to currency and international surcharge declines. It's also important to note that we are lapping a very strong Q2 2014 performance in which we grew system RASM at 6%, which is the toughest comp we'll face this year.”

“Domestically, the demand environment remains stable and we expect unit revenues to be roughly flat this quarter on 3% to 4% more capacity. This is consistent with the performance we saw in March and what we're already seeing in April.”

IMHO if with a smaller increase in domestic ASMs than DL, UAL they can't best DL in PRASM domestically, it will be some rather good evidence that United continues to loose valuable traffic and is a badly damaged brand. I know UAL is already saying "oil" but that does not explain the magnitude of the change.

On the “we are adding 10-20 used narrowbodies, keeping 11 763s, adding 773ERs, running 772s domestically, and pulling more 50 seaters” part of the release, its all GREAT! This said, I hate to add () to the long time pro-management folks who have all jumped in with a thumbs up, we have been telling you for three years that this was needed!

More generally though, all of these moves suggest that United realizes it has pushed (as many of us have been saying for a long while) the envelope on domestic cuts way too far. Those “cuts” have been keeping PRASM afloat, and United would not be doing what it is doing domestically if it did not know internally that they were doing themselves real damage in the long term. My guess is that the cuts (and small RJs and slimmed/dark A319/320s on long flights) are just killing them with corporate accounts. I also would bet that as elites/HVFers leave the domestic network, they are also not seeing them on all of the new long haul flights on those shiny “game changer” 787s. Again, as others and I have long predicted this would be the outcome of Jeff’s “savvy” plan. To the long time defenders of that "savvy" plan, lets be clear, if UA adds domestic capacity, United will have to attract high paying passengers to fill those seats, or PRASM/yield will fall. I don’t think (short term at least) they can do this with how damaged their brand is at this point. That United will accept the falls in PRASM short term says they must be seeing some real problems in their projections and metrics, and the "savvy" plan advocated by Hunter Keay and ilk has failed.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

This is my thought as well, but explains the lack of consistency in stories, and quotes...
Specials are real, no question, but arise from accounting decisions within the organization and therefore cannot reliably be predicted by analysts... so were they to account for specials, EPS forecasts would essentially be crapshoots.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

The other thing to keep in mind is that mainline capacity is up yoy and will continue to grow, meanwhile regional (removing 50 seaters) is driving the reduction in ASM in the domestic sector.

The upshot is a domestic network with more of the capacity passengers want (e.g., two-cabin RJ and mainline/widebody) and less of what they don't (small RJ and prop). If one is willing to give Delta latitude and credit for revamping the Pacific operation ex-SEA, I think the same consideration should be given to United in reorganizing domestic capacity to look a bit more like Delta (while DL tries to be more like UA in the Pacific...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.