Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL Reports 1Q-2015 Earnings of $508m Net, 77W Orders, Other Fleet News

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL Reports 1Q-2015 Earnings of $508m Net, 77W Orders, Other Fleet News

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:49 am

Was wondering about the oil exposure - it's been 30 years since we had a meltdown there and no one has more stakes there than UA via IAH.

Similar to IAD during the sequestration.

They must have set expectations at some point - surprised stock is flat on that. Would expect down 5% or so.

Maybe street really wants less capacity growth or some short covering.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Ouch... 4-6% PRASM decline forecast in 2Q, reduced capacity guidance to 1-2% ASM growth in 2015 on capacity increase of 2-3%. 3% PRASM reduction in domestic, 7% PRASM deficit international. 1% reduction in corporate revenue driven by 20% reduction in oil-related traffic.

Japan capacity will be reduced in 4Q by 7% yoy.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:01 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
So putting a 777 in the redeye SFO-ORD flights frees up a narrowbody, and they expect that narrowbody to replace a 50 seater? I'd like to see what market will be getting that huge upgauge. (response to 1st question by investors.) Is he implying that a 50 seat market that is express will be going mainline? I think he was reaching on that explanation.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
So putting a 777 in the redeye SFO-ORD flights frees up a narrowbody, and they expect that narrowbody to replace a 50 seater? I'd like to see what market will be getting that huge upgauge. (response to 1st question by investors.) Is he implying that a 50 seat market that is express will be going mainline? I think he was reaching on that explanation.
A single 364 seat high density 777 can replace two 739s. It's a lot you can do with those 2 planes, and obviously not a 1-to-1 replacement with 50 seat RJs.

Very much a trickle down effect of 777HD->739->738->319->E175->ERJ
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I guess the 787 isn't all that its talked up to be.
to me, this is the most underappreciated element of the whole 77W order speculation (and now confirmation).

no other airline (other than NH?) has more real world data on how the 788/9 actually performs. on paper, the 789 in particular has unparalleled specs.

there's no question that UA got a great deal on the 77W. i don't question that UA can use the extra capacity of a 77W sub-fleet. i do, however, doubt that it was necessary to exchange 787 orders 1:1 in order to get a no-brainer deal, particularly since (i believe) the orders being forfeited are for the 789/10, and not the less impressive 788.

the 763 refresh makes me question this even more. we all knew the 3-class 763 was going away, but the winglet news is the real story here. the 763 is more economical at present because of lower fuel prices, and installing winglets (i wonder if they'll be scimitars) is cheaper than buying dreamliners. UA must have numbers that justify 767 efficiency being in the same ballpark as the 787 - at least for UA's intended use of the planes.

the 2016 delivery of the 77W puts into question whether these birds will even be outfitted with the rumored PIP (link) that will improve efficiency.

i also wonder whether the 77W order has any impact on the A350 order.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Right now, SFO-ORD has 3 red eye flights, a 11pm, 1130pm and a 12am ish. You put a 777 to fill those 3 flights.

ORD-Midwest should get more mainline. We have already seen ORD-MSN, and ORD-IND return with mainline.

ORD-STL, MSP, DSM, OMA, CVG, CMH, DAY, DTW, BNA, SDF, can all have some mainline frequency, or additional to today. If they are flying 10 more on domestic routes, plus they are purchasing, 10-20 narrowbody this year, ORD, IAH, EWR should see more mainline and less flights. 12 ORD-STL flights can be cut by 2 or 3.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
BNA is going to start seeing mainline to IAH, ORD, and DEN - all upgauged from 50 seaters.

I would imagine the same is going to happen for similar markets such as JAX, CLT, RDU, STL, MSP, CVG, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
A dumb ancillary-related Q from a newbie (i.e. me): what variant of the 772 does UA fly? On their website it just says 772, no mention of ER or anything (just looking at my LAX-SYD flight later this year)
They have both 777-200 and 777-200ER planes. The Hawaii planes are the non-ER, the pmCO planes are ER, and the international pmUA planes are a mix of the two.

LAX-SYD will, of course, be the ER variant. The non-ER has range only TATL and (maybe) some south america routes.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a bad quarter. UA saved a billion dollars in fuel in Q1, and unlike DL, UA actually kept most of the benefit of lower fuel prices (less aggressive hedging = smaller hedging losses).

The only decision with which I would disagree is the extension of the life of the 763s. That's a gamble that fuel prices stay low (or experience just moderate increases) over the next few years, and that gamble appears to be just a little too optimistic for me.

763s are great planes. I love them. They're solid workhorses. But they're the solid workhorses of the last 15 years of the last century, and we're already 15 years into the next.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i don't question that UA can use the extra capacity of a 77W sub-fleet. i do, however, doubt that it was necessary to exchange 787 orders 1:1 in order to get a no-brainer deal, particularly since (i believe) the orders being forfeited are for the 789/10, and not the less impressive 788.
I think it points toward UA trying to reduce/control its capex while not forfeiting capacity at the top of the market while 744s begin retirement, not necessarily disappointment with the 787. UA has already taken all 787-8s on firm order, so it doesn't have any to exchange. I don't think expanding the WB order portfolio by 10 77W frames and taking additional 789s in 2016 would have fit in with UA's capital deployment plan.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:23 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
IAH RASM was down 5% while consolidated was up .4%. They put that on oil travel (which obviously has an impact.) Has WN already ramped up their HOU flying as well, or is that still developing?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
According to the earnings call, most of the 747s will stick around until 2020 when they are up for the next round of D checks. A few will exit over the next few years.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Sounds like the 77Ws would be headed to EWR... they "integrate well" with the existing fleet. I would suspect this means they are probably going to be two-cabin airplanes.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Sounds like the 77Ws would be headed to EWR... they "integrate well" with the existing fleet. I would suspect this means they are probably going to be two-cabin airplanes.
Finally, a 3-4-3 777 comes to UA. Joy of joys.

Get ready for those 16.8" seats in Y.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Haven't heard of any rumored 77W configs that feature GlobalFirst.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by sincx
Finally, a 3-4-3 777 comes to UA. Joy of joys.

Get ready for those 16.8" seats in Y.
If anyone here ever sits in those seats they aren't a real FTer. It's been at least six years since I've sat past row 21. E- is realistically avoidable for the travel experts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.