Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why don't "Any seat, any time" standard award flights show up on UAL website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, UAL

We have a Milageplus Explorer card, and have for years. The promo materials say the we can book "any seat, any time" and can get any empty seat for Standard (25K points one way) points. Yet there are flights that show up as available on the "search by schedule" and the "search by price" screens, but that do not appear on the "search by awards" listing. Any ideas? I did talk to someone at UAL (always an adventure) who gave me the story that there are no award seats available, even though there are dozens of unsold seats on the flights. It used to work fine, but is there something new I'm missing? Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It sounds like you might be in that "half logged in" state. Try explicitly logging out and logging back in - that usually does the trick for me. It's also possible that their database is messed up and they don't have your Explorer card associated correctly with your account.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

I always am logged on with my points showing. Could the fact it's a MasterCard Explorer vs a VISA Explorer card be a factor? I'll keep plugging away. It is strange, since it's worked in the past with the Explorer MasterCard.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BadgerGreg
I always am logged on with my points showing. Could the fact it's a MasterCard Explorer vs a VISA Explorer card be a factor? I'll keep plugging away. It is strange, since it's worked in the past with the Explorer MasterCard.
Have you checked inventory in Expert Mode?

The expanded standard economy award inventory on a domestic flight is YN.

FWIW, I've seen some weird fare bucket availability on connecting itineraries lately. Are you looking at nonstops or connecting flights?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I always am logged on with my points showing. Could the fact it's a MasterCard Explorer vs a VISA Explorer card be a factor?
Don't know about part two, but part one is explained below.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It sounds like you might be in that "half logged in" state. Try explicitly logging out and logging back in - that usually does the trick for me. It's also possible that their database is messed up and they don't have your Explorer card associated correctly with your account.
UAL.com has made some kind of change recently, at least that's what I'm seeing.

Used to be you would have to log in after a period of inactivity, but now you can see your points, but you are not logged in

Call it undead if you like

Follow mahasamatman's suggestion - if there is no problem with your card association with your account, that :-: should :-: fix it.

Last edited by EmailKid; Apr 22, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If nothing else (half-logged in, etc), UA's flight search is known to be broken in a variety of ways and does not return consistent results.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Still can't access the "Any seat, any time" as promised by UAL

We have Mileage Plus Explorer cards, and have for years. UAL's site promises that in addition to a free checked bag, if there are seats for sale on a UAL flight, we Explorer card holders can use standard points and claim that seat on the flight. They call it "any seat, any time." This worked about a year ago, but no longer does. When using the website, there are lots of seats on many flights, but many of those flights do not appear when the "award travel" spot is highlighted. We've had Chase check, and there are no other active Explorer Card accounts to muddy the water. Is there a way to contact someone higher up than the reservation people in Manila? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Greg
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
We have Mileage Plus Explorer cards, and have for years. UAL's site promises that in addition to a free checked bag, if there are seats for sale on a UAL flight, we Explorer card holders can use standard points and claim that seat on the flight. They call it "any seat, any time." This worked about a year ago, but no longer does. When using the website, there are lots of seats on many flights, but many of those flights do not appear when the "award travel" spot is highlighted. We've had Chase check, and there are no other active Explorer Card accounts to muddy the water. Is there a way to contact someone higher up than the reservation people in Manila? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Greg
This is yet another bug on the website that has been around for some time now. You should be able to get those flights by calling in.

Good luck!

Tim
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Are you sure you're fully logged in? Sometimes on united.com, you can appear to be logged in, but you're really not.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The two common reasons for this problem are:
  • Not fully logged in. This is a problem with Expert Mode also. Best way to test is go to see your posted flight details and then do the award search.
  • Missing YN fare bucket -- a problem with a few UX flights -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ghts-only.html
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

I assume I am logged in, since my points totals and existing reservations are there and viewable.

The info from UAL says "any flight any time on United operated flights" If I call reservations, I have been repeatedly told that this is wrong, and that there are no award seats available. I even had a supervisor tell me regarding the problem, "the bank is lying!"

Calling in has not worked for months. I am told that this benefit does not exist and that there are no award seats available. They can't understand that this is not specifically an award seat, but they refuse to recognize the Explorer card benefit as posted on their own website. An overseas supervisor told me that "the bank is lying!"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2015 at 12:08 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume I am logged in, since my points totals and existing reservations are there and viewable.
Try navigating through the website until it requests your password -- I've found that pulling up the details for an existing reservation will do it. After that, you should see the YN inventory when you do an award search. It seems that the website has a "half-logged in" state where it knows who you are and will show you your account information, but it treats you as logged-out for the purposes of the award search.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Try navigating through the website until it requests your password -- I've found that pulling up the details for an existing reservation will do it.
The surefire way to make certain you're logged in is to "Sign Out" then log back in.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I assume I am logged in, since my points totals and existing reservations are there and viewable. ...
Yep you can do that in the half logged in state. Try changing a seat assignment or looking at the individual PQD/PQM/RDM details for posted flights or try Expert Mode -- that can only be done in the full logged in state.

As suggested logging out and then logging in and then do the flight search is the only reliable way to be sure. Those using ExpertMode have had this problem from the beginning.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I have just tried this, and no change. Still no access to open seats on many flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.