Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BCN,MAD,TXL,HAM getting 763s year-round & Intl 752 redeployed domestically (reporter)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN,MAD,TXL,HAM getting 763s year-round & Intl 752 redeployed domestically (reporter)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by mike1968
So will they be changing the 757 seats to domestic configuration? And then, if so will they slimline the whole thing and add more seats? I assume they would stay sCO staffed for domestic?

Still will take a non-stop OAL from ORD or LH connect via FRA over having to transit EWR to any of these markets...so while long overdue given the CO aversion to loading extra fuel thereby requiring the fuel stops... the bigger question is what markets are losing 3 cabin 767 service to prop up a delay-prone, surly staffed EWR hub?
No the 75B aircraft are not getting reconfigured into a domestic configuration nor will they be getting slimlines as they will continue to fly some TATL routes in addition to domestic routes. And yes until both FA work groups are merged the 75B aircraft will still continue to be flown by sCO crews.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
HAM? Is there really that much demand for it?
While that's a purely O&D route to a secondary European market, it's literally the only TATL flight out of Hamburg. Hamburg is a decent business location with a sizable corporate presence, I'm sure quite a few of those guys are glad to have at least one non-stop option - even if it's UA.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
What astonishes me is that this is a change that is positive for passengers from every perspective, yet heres criticism of United's ability to make good decisions.
It does seem astonishing.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
What astonishes me is that this is a change that is positive for passengers from every perspective, yet heres criticism of United's ability to make good decisions.
A good decision years late isn't exactly a testament to the leadership's ability to make timely decisions, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Regardless of aircraft type used the Latin america destinations won't see the same type of service/amenities currently found on TATL/TPAC and Deep South America flights.
Which is a mistake by UA. Using a flat bed seat aircraft on an international route and then treating it as a domestic flight with the soft product is an opportunity lost.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
A good decision years late isn't exactly a testament to the leadership's ability to make timely decisions, but YMMV.
Previously in this thread EWR764 made a factual, logical, non-emotional post explaining why the change wasn't made earlier.

HINT: UA didn't wait this long just to piss off the chronic UA moaners (who nevertheless apparently continue to fly UA despite how horrible it supposedly is). @:-)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
Previously in this thread EWR764 made a factual, logical, non-emotional post explaining why the change wasn't made earlier.

HINT: UA didn't wait this long just to piss off the chronic UA moaners (who nevertheless apparently continue to fly UA despite how horrible it supposedly is). @:-)
I realize why the change wasn't made earlier. But the basis remains the same - pmCO used 757s for TATLs because they didn't buy enough widebodies in the first place to properly service the routes they shoved the 757s into. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time - until all the westbound fuel stops and attendant bad publicity made the practice untenable.

A an earlier bad decision isn't erased by a better one.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? So mistakes can never be corrected? Grudges should be held forever? Interesting (and depressing) view of life.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

I realize why the change wasn't made earlier. But the basis remains the same - pmCO used 757s for TATLs because they didn't buy enough widebodies in the first place to properly service the routes they shoved the 757s into. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time - until all the westbound fuel stops and attendant bad publicity made the practice untenable.

Just this Feb, I flew AA CDG-JFK on a 757 which included a fuel stop in Maine, yet my UA OSL-EWR from the same winter season landed nonstop

All of US3 are guilty of flying 757 across the pond.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Really? So mistakes can never be corrected? Grudges should be held forever? Interesting (and depressing) view of life.
Of course they can - the 2015 UA is correcting a never-ending list of shortsighted decisions made from 2012-2014.

But of course those prior decisions made (by the same leadership team currently in place) have damaged UA for years to come.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by spin88
I'll take your 30% figure, but i'm surprised it is that low. The 767-300ER is 155% of the weight of the 757-200, and the 757-200 has modern winglets.

Actually, UA's NPS scores have been posted, and they are horrible And the NPS people have also posted what their small sample shows, also horrible.

And while you may not like the way I have framed it, given the entire spreadsheet management culture at CO, this "positive for passengers from every perspective" is very strong evidence to show that the oft advocated view that hard/soft product and customer service does not matter, its all routes, frequency, and price is all wet. No way this "savvy" management team would decided to up its CASM by 30% (or more) on a number of routes from the "CO way" absent them betting killed in the customer retention/attraction department as a result of the poor quality and reliability of these flights.
There is not a direct correlation between weight and operating cost. The 757 is an expensive plane to operate.

Where were United's NPS scores posted? If you're going to make claims like this, post a link, please.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Of course they can - the 2015 UA is correcting a never-ending list of shortsighted decisions made from 2012-2014.

But of course those prior decisions made (by the same leadership team currently in place) have damaged UA for years to come.
The main reason that the 75Bs have been on these routes so long was the decision to order the 787 and the concomitant delays to 787 delivery - the 787s were meant to fill many of these roles.

That decision was made well before the current management team; once Smisek got onboard there was nothing to be done about it other than wait it out. He couldn't magic up a bunch of 787s.

Now that enough 787s are on-property, it has filled out enough of the network that they've got enough wide bodies to cover most of the TATL markets like they originally wanted.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Regardless of aircraft type used the Latin america destinations won't see the same type of service/amenities currently found on TATL/TPAC and Deep South America flights.
The fares don't support it. SFO-BOG is consistently in the $1100-1200 range for a P fare.

Still a bummer when they don't even give you a pillow in F for the redeye.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
No the 75B aircraft are not getting reconfigured into a domestic configuration nor will they be getting slimlines as they will continue to fly some TATL routes in addition to domestic routes.
Now you're talking! Please tell those planes IAD says "don't be a stranger."
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:41 am

It's interesting that you call disagreement with a decision a grudge.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Exactly.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
All of the 3-class 763s are getting reconfigured to the 2-class 76E standard.
Of course. COdbaUA is a two-class of service airline that just happened to inherit some three-class of service aircraft in an ill-conceived merger and management is too cheap to spend any money to retrofit the entire fleet to where they actually want it to be.

Originally Posted by spin88
I guess finally someone at CO woke up to the fact that when they gave someone a bad experience they did not come back as a passenger, particularly premium passengers....

This, and the long overdue (and still slight) improvements in meals suggest that (1) they finally are realizing the horrible NPS score they have is killing them, (2) United still is bleeding high value traffic, and (3) people do buy on something other than price, schedule, and the 787.

+100 to what I bolded.
Someone at CO awoke? I seriously doubt it.

They are just cutting costs by eliminating 757s on routes where technical stops are costing UA money. This airline has shown zero interest in attracting HVF. The prevailing attitude is, "Take what we give you and like it."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.