Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Maryland Family claims UA made them sit in vomit on flight" or fly next day/flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Maryland Family claims UA made them sit in vomit on flight" or fly next day/flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
By the way, I haven't searched for a while, but are the barf bags still provided in the seat pocket on UA?
They always seem to be there when I scrounge around in the seatback pockets looking for spare change.

Last edited by goalie; Apr 16, 2015 at 4:20 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A technical question, please. How does one vomit while sitting in their seat, and the vomit ends up on the seat? While I have never had the misfortune of getting airsick, I have on occasion (in my younger days, of course ) had the opportunity to pray to the porcelain God. When no such receptacle was immediately available, my donation would end up on the floor in front of me, or if it was a projectile event (the usual case) it would have ended up well forward of my position. At one infamous event, in the shoes of several classmates at a high school sock hop. Which, after over 40 years, some people are still upset about. Go figure.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the ill passenger had a empty seat next to him/her, and made the deposit accordingly.

A rather rude act, don't you think?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
A technical question, please. How does one vomit while sitting in their seat, and the vomit ends up on the seat? While I have never had the misfortune of getting airsick, I have on occasion (in my younger days, of course ) had the opportunity to pray to the porcelain God. When no such receptacle was immediately available, my donation would end up on the floor in front of me, or if it was a projectile event (the usual case) it would have ended up well forward of my position. At one infamous event, in the shoes of several classmates at a high school sock hop. Which, after over 40 years, some people are still upset about. Go figure.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the ill passenger had a empty seat next to him/her, and made the deposit accordingly.

A rather rude act, don't you think?
As I noted above, the vomit was under the seat. The discovered it when they stashed their bags and noticed that they got wet somehow. From the linked media report:

...when they started to store their bags underneath the seats. Shirley and his wife noticed their bags were wet. When his wife investigated further she discovered vomit....
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:12 pm
Suspended

There was vomit on a seat of a plane about to depart with passengers.

Nothing that came after that could mitigate the enormous failure of United in allowing that to happen. At that point a cleaning was not only the only real option, but possibly the only LEGAL option, as vomit is in many cases considered a bio-hazard, and allowing the plane to board passengers in such a condition possibly a violation of law. The fact that United allowed the plane to fly should open them up to possible litigation from ALL passengers, not just those in the immediate area.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewportGuy
There was vomit on a seat of a plane about to depart with passengers....
It was under the seat. Good heavens people...doesn't anyone read the linked reports in order to find out what really happened???
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
It was under the seat. Good heavens people...doesn't anyone read the linked reports in order to find out what really happened???
Not always. But thank you for the clarification.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: nada
Shouldn't the thread title be accurate and not clickbait exaggeration?
Pardon me, but I guess I should have said: "Good heavens people...doesn't anyone post accurate descriptions of reports in order to accurately convey what really happened???"

Edit: it also looks like they were on a night/evening flight (perhaps the last of the day?) and refused an option that was the next calendar day. Despite someone early in the thread's assumption in stating it was "the next day's flight" we really don't know the story behind it. Considering we're talking MCO which gets a few flights a day I'd bet it was last flight to first flight which is going to be the best any airline could offer if the flight was full.

Last edited by crnk; Apr 16, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crnk
Shouldn't the thread title be accurate and not clickbait exaggeration?
Pardon me, but I guess I should have said: "Good heavens people...doesn't anyone post accurate descriptions of reports in order to accurately convey what really happened???"
The OP was parroting the headline in the linked media report. Good heavens media people...why don't you write headlines that accurately convey the facts?

Ok...off to check out our spring snow here in the Denver area. Yahoo.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
Nothing that came after that could mitigate the enormous failure of United in allowing that to happen. At that point a cleaning was not only the only real option, but possibly the only LEGAL option, as vomit is in many cases considered a bio-hazard, and allowing the plane to board passengers in such a condition possibly a violation of law. The fact that United allowed the plane to fly should open them up to possible litigation from ALL passengers, not just those in the immediate area.
What an absurdly litigious society we live in.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Initially thought this was post concerning my flight from CMH to ORD on Tuesday night. Family of 5 boarded and one of the middle children tossed cookies all over himself, his Dad and apparently the seats during boarding. Family was offloaded, cleaning crew came on and cleaned and we were a few minutes delayed getting out of the gate.
I am not sure how sick the kid was but I was surprised they didn't change clothes and re-board not sure if they were kicked off or just voluntarily took another flight.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I had the same interpretation, that the headline was exaggerated and that the vomit was under the seat.

If that is the case, it may not have been apparent to the cleaning crew that there was vomit under there. They may have just looked under the seats for detritus, and the "vomit" could have just looked like a wet spot from a spill or a dark stain, if anything.

Just defending the cleaning crew
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:09 pm
Suspended

On... under. It was within reach of passengers, and presented a health issue.

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
What an absurdly litigious society we live in.
Right. It is the passengers fault for expecting a clean plane. How incredibly selfish and self-centered of them! Don't they know that United is too busy trying to come up with new ways of screwing customers to actually clean their planes?!?

Vomit on the plane. United's fault. PERIOD.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by crnk
it also looks like they were on a night/evening flight (perhaps the last of the day?) and refused an option that was the next calendar day. Despite someone early in the thread's assumption in stating it was "the next day's flight" we really don't know the story behind it. Considering we're talking MCO which gets a few flights a day I'd bet it was last flight to first flight which is going to be the best any airline could offer if the flight was full.
The re-accommodation issue is a complete red herring. The only thing to say here is: the aircraft should not have been allowed to depart until it had been properly cleaned.

I don't know about any of you, but I don't want to fly in a puke-craft.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:39 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I am on the fence with this one.

If there's clearly a puddle of vomit on a plane, it needs to be dealt with during cleaning. The fact that it wasn't noticed by the cleaners, the flight crew once boarding, or the passengers until noticing that their bag was damp.... I dunno, that seems to indicate to me that the pool of vomit was perhaps not what the mind and article suggest that it was.

I was on a UA flight two years ago where a young boy failed to make it to the lav before vomiting in the aisle (he apparently forgot about airsickness bags) (and we were taxiing.. like final turn onto active for takeoff taxiing). He was actually facing me approximately .43 seconds prior to letting it go. There's no way to not know. The entire plane smelled like vomit.. even after the FAs covered it in ground coffee, some powder from a kit, swept up the absorbed chunks, put more coffee and powder down, and covered in blankets. Having experienced that, I find it very difficult to believe that there existed a puddle of vomit on a plane without anyone noticing until feeling something damp.

To me, this suggests that the puddle had been cleaned, and the residual dampness still had some sort of vomity stench to it when you smelled a damp finger.. or that it was a very small puddle that was mostly water.. probably from a small animal or child.

Had someone discovered it during pre-board, then yea, it should have been handled.. but once boarding has commenced, there's a whole new level of logistical stuff that, feelings about vomit aside, are part of the equation. Given that it's lack of discovery would imply everyone else on the plane was unaffected, simply calling the seats with the vomit disabled and alerting the cleaners of the arrival airport would have been my suggestion... Choosing to fly in a seat like that then becomes the decision of the passenger. That said, I think some minor compensation should have been considered, as clearly, that's not the best of travel experiences.. but still, I think deplaning for the hour it would have taken to deal with what seems (to me) to be a relatively small thing is unwarranted.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Pilot is in command,

A little vomit under a seat is no disaster, I have seen people who body odor far worse,

Spray some disinfectant and move on...did you notice they cried about their damaged bags also....

Lets turn the plane around, I think someone took a crap...smells like s--t..

Good for the crew, they got an on time departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.