Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Email From UA Requesting Action and Non-Fillable Form After Lost Luggage Situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email From UA Requesting Action and Non-Fillable Form After Lost Luggage Situation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Baze
I love the way people just say "don't check bags". That's not always an option for people. I go for 10 days at a time and have things that have to be checked. So far (knock on wood) I have not had a problem with my checked bags in 18 years flying UA. Sure, bag been delayed a few times, but that's it (knock on wood again).
ya, you just jinxed yourself.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
ya, you just jinxed yourself.
Meh, if it happens once in 18 years, that is fine with me. And I have been saying this same thing for years with no "jinx".
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA

I guess they could use some improvement in the way they phrase it. But still doesn't change the fact that you now have to do something to tell them the details. What would the alternative be, that they somehow sense that you've lost your bag?

I think the OP's point is that UA still requires a handwritten paper form mailed in by snail mail rather than an electronic claim form and procedure.
No, the OP still wanted to have to mail the form via post office

He/she just wanted it to be able to be filled online and then printed. Rather than print and write by hand

Not much of a rant I say
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:03 pm

If you check bags on other airlines you're much less likely to have an actual problem. United has the 'we don't want to help you' approach unlike delta or SW domestically, IF you are going through europe you have montreal convention protections.

If you MUST check a bag domestically, perhaps you should consider other, more on-time and reliable, methods. SW, DL, UPS (not usps or UA).

I've had a bag that was damaged by UA and some contents went 'missing', enough faxing and BS for a lifetime. Nothing came of it, nothing crazy valuable either luckily. That was the last straw for me. I've had a bag 'disruption' on other airlines before, gladly took a $300 cash stipend and my bags found me 12 hours later. The majority of my bag-checking before these issues was for convenience, since then, only for bringing home balsamica, wine, and/or specialty liquors or liquids. Also, flying united in general just stinks compared to nearly every other airline.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by JetAway
I think the OP's point is that UA still requires a handwritten paper form mailed in by snail mail rather than an electronic claim form and procedure.
I would be perfectly happy to fill in an electronic form online and print sign it and send it in. They are responsible for the lost luggage. Common decency and good customer service means you minimize the burden on the customer you just crapped on.

And yes I filled out a lost luggage claim at Dulles.

I also note the thread title was changed to action requested because the real words used by united Action required were inflammatory.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Common decency and good customer service means you minimize the burden on the customer you just crapped on.

Which is something UA seems to think they no longer need. After all the acquisitions, route adjustments and downsizing planes and seats on pretty much most routes, the traveling public all of a sudden has a lot less choices then they did a few years ago. What airline is Joe Q citizen going to go to? UA knows they are more likely to actually come back to UA, even with pooor customer service,
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Which is something UA seems to think they no longer need. After all the acquisitions, route adjustments and downsizing planes and seats on pretty much most routes, the traveling public all of a sudden has a lot less choices then they did a few years ago. What airline is Joe Q citizen going to go to? UA knows they are more likely to actually come back to UA, even with pooor customer service,
I see you list AA as one of your airlines. Have you any comment on the points I raised in post #7?? I find it infinitely more inconvenient to use vouchers and canceled tickets on AA vs UA...what say you about that??? If you're going to rant about lost-luggage reports on UA being stuck in the Paleolithic I would think that you would be absolutely apoplectic about AA's Precambrian voucher/credit system.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I see you list AA as one of your airlines. Have you any comment on the points I raised in post #7?? I find it infinitely more inconvenient to use vouchers and canceled tickets on AA vs UA...what say you about that??? If you're going to rant about lost-luggage reports on UA being stuck in the Paleolithic I would think that you would be absolutely apoplectic about AA's Precambrian voucher/credit system.
I'm a member of AA but have not flown them in years.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by moops380
IF you are going through europe you have montreal convention protections.
Correct, but I am afraid somewhat misleading. You have the "protection", if you can call it that, of the Montreal Convention wherever you fly. However, what the Montreal Convention actually does is limit the compensation payable by airlines.

I thnk what you are referring to is actually EU261, which applies to all flights within, or leaving from, the EU (regardless of where the airline is based); as well as all flights into the EU by EU airlines.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Top 5 worst rants this week, maybe even top 3.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must write up my latest UA food complaint.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

If you check bags on other airlines you're much less likely to have an actual problem. United has the 'we don't want to help you' approach unlike delta or SW domestically, IF you are going through europe you have montreal convention protections
I've had bags delayed 3 times on the last 150 segments. Twice by LH, once it happened at the LH/UA interface so I'm not sure who caused it.

That's pretty reliable. And in two of those instances, I had the bags within less than 10 hours.

Come to think of it, the only time I know for sure that UA lost my bag was three years ago during that massive snow storm, and even then it was returned to me within 36 hours. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've seen much worse stats from friends and colleagues who fly on other airlines.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
Correct, but I am afraid somewhat misleading. You have the "protection", if you can call it that, of the Montreal Convention wherever you fly. However, what the Montreal Convention actually does is limit the compensation payable by airlines.

I thnk what you are referring to is actually EU261, which applies to all flights within, or leaving from, the EU (regardless of where the airline is based); as well as all flights into the EU by EU airlines.
Indeed. I believe they reimburse you up to ~$1000usd, but you also get your bags back eventually (not sure the reimbursement if your bags are forever lost). Lots of airlines will entice you with something else before it gets to that point, like 300 euros or something similar right on the spot. I'm no expert on this but its nice it exists, you're SOL in the USA if your bags don't make it and you are without proper clothing for Business/Weddings.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:59 am
Original Poster

United Promotes Identity Theft

In filing my luggage claim I see United wants both employment information
and Your government issued ID

• Copy of driver’s license or other government issued photo ID for each person in the claim

What a good side business opportunity to supply identity thieves

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 14, 2015 at 7:46 am Reason: thread title is inflammatory and not indicative of the thread content so it gets merged with other thread
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by morelegroom
In filing my luggage claim I see United wants both employment information
and Your government issued ID

• Copy of driver’s license or other government issued photo ID for each person in the claim

What a good side business opportunity to supply identity thieves
Nothing like a little hyperbole to get the morning going... Could it be that they want people reporting lost baggage to prove who they are to prevent fraud? I think s. I don't think that's an unreasonable request. I'm not sure what employment information they want, but that request could involve asking where you want your lost item delivered. More information on exactly what was requested would help in the discussion of this issue.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Apr 14, 2015 at 5:32 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Baze
I love the way people just say "don't check bags". That's not always an option for people. I go for 10 days at a time and have things that have to be checked. So far (knock on wood) I have not had a problem with my checked bags in 18 years flying UA. Sure, bag been delayed a few times, but that's it (knock on wood again).
10 days on carryon is really, really tough unless you use cleaners at destination.

Any biz clothes need, and you are pretty much done.

There is little meaningful differentiation between delay and loss rates of bagge at airlines. The most interesting thing that ever happened to me was the delay of a gate check bag on a RJ, it never made it on board. Not sure how that happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.