Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Applying UA Elite Benefits When Flying with companion from different airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold

I'm sure I'll end up calling United anyway, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with this. A friend and I will be flying overseas. We live in different cities and have different starting flights, but both of us connect in Newark onto the same flight. Can I use my gold status top rebook us both in the e+? Or will the separate pnrs doom this plan? Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NerveEnding
..... Can I use my gold status top rebook us both in the e+? Or will the separate pnrs doom this plan? ....
Only on the flights you fly together and only an agent can do this.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Call UA, have both record locator numbers available, let them know you are the UA Gold and would like to have them put your companion in E+ on the flight(s) where you are together. It can also be helpful to know where you want them seated before you call - it does not need to be right next to you so choosing an aisle and window can (rarely nowadays) sometimes end up with an empty middle for you both. In the event equipment changes and they reseat the companion in E, just call back ASAP to fix. Babysitting the reservation online is useful to keep an eye out for this as they don't usually send notice of equipment change. Companion can board with your group also, just hold their bp or tell GA they are with you when the non-Gold bp beeps at the gate.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by azzurro
In the event equipment changes and they reseat the companion in E, just call back ASAP to fix. Babysitting the reservation online is useful to keep an eye out for this as they don't usually send notice of equipment change.
It's not only equipment changes that can trigger this. Random reseating is not unheard of.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:20 pm

I've traveled overseas multiple times with family in the midwest - connecting/meeting in ORD or IAD. I've always been able to move my non-status family into E+ on our shared flights (after calling an agent,)

And their separate PNR remains separate.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by azzurro
Companion can board with your group also, just hold their bp or tell GA they are with you when the non-Gold bp beeps at the gate.
Are you sure about this? Since getting Plat this year, I have been boarding in group 1 with the larger of our carry-ons and my companion has boarded in G2. It would be nice to have her board with me in G1.

I usually wait til the very end of G1 regardless since I don't like to stand in line, so technically my companion (and I) would both be boarding at the start of G2, but we are not waiting in line for G2.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Are you sure about this? Since getting Plat this year, I have been boarding in group 1 with the larger of our carry-ons and my companion has boarded in G2. It would be nice to have her board with me in G1.

I usually wait til the very end of G1 regardless since I don't like to stand in line, so technically my companion (and I) would both be boarding at the start of G2, but we are not waiting in line for G2.
If more than 1 person traveling together, they can all board in the group with the lowest number, so yes, your companion can board with you in group 1. Just do as was suggested, say something to the GA that the person behind you is traveling with you.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Absolutely acceptable. I do it all the time for my non-1K spouse (that is, when I haven't cleared her into F for the transcon). As for not waiting in line, I prefer earlier in G1 - else I'm standing and waiting near the galley or on the jetway instead of already in my seat.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by jamesdenver
I've traveled overseas multiple times with family in the midwest - connecting/meeting in ORD or IAD. I've always been able to move my non-status family into E+ on our shared flights (after calling an agent,)

And their separate PNR remains separate.

I ran into an old friend at LGA last month. She was in Group 5. I told her to board with me as she was concerned about storing her bags. When they called GS, I told the agent she was with me and she didn't even bat an eye.

And I have done this successfully in the past before.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Absolutely acceptable. I do it all the time for my non-1K spouse (that is, when I haven't cleared her into F for the transcon). As for not waiting in line, I prefer earlier in G1 - else I'm standing and waiting near the galley or on the jetway instead of already in my seat.
Thanks. I learn useful things all the time from these threads.

As far as the line thing, I think it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My latest MO is to wait until there are about 4-5 people remaining in the G1 line, then I get my but up off the chair and start walking to the G1 line. My goal is to time it perfectly so that I do not have to break stride until I am in the jetway, and also so that I get in front of anyone from G2. Kind of a little game I play.

Yes, I do have to wait on the jetway and/or near the galley, but that wait is usually a lot less than the wait involved in being one of the first in the G1 line.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I ran into an old friend at LGA last month. She was in Group 5. I told her to board with me as she was concerned about storing her bags. When they called GS, I told the agent she was with me and she didn't even bat an eye.

And I have done this successfully in the past before.
Yeah, non-issue. Only pro-tip is to go first, because the scanners I've run into give a nasty beep if you're there before your boarding group and all the G2s look at you like a line cutter.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:13 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's not only equipment changes that can trigger this. Random reseating is not unheard of.
Excellent advice.

Originally Posted by Baze
If more than 1 person traveling together, they can all board in the group with the lowest number, so yes, your companion can board with you in group 1. Just do as was suggested, say something to the GA that the person behind you is traveling with you.
That'll work, but I find it's smoother to hand both boarding passes at once to the gate cyborg, my BG1 pass on top, of course.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE

That'll work, but I find it's smoother to hand both boarding passes at once to the gate cyborg, my BG1 pass on top, of course.
I agree but have been at a couple stations where they specifically announce everyone much hold their own BP.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I agree but have been at a couple stations where they specifically announce everyone much hold their own BP.
For domestic travel? I've only seen this request for international departures.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The stack of iPhones is a bit cumbersome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.