Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, well no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than whats currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and youll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if youre traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, were removing close-in fees, so you wont be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than whats currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than whats listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if youre traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

With UA moving to dynamic pricing, saver rates are no longer visible or accessible on their website.
Where and how do you find saver-level rates, for any airline?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There's not really a choice, you search on united.com
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
When I'm looking for an award flight, I search always research my flights as one ways. I'll only use the round trip or advance tool when I'm ready to book, since all award flights are priced as one-ways.

1. I search based off of origin and destination, and a date near when I want to go.
2. When I get to the results, I click on Flexible Calendar, which is just a 30-day calendar,.
3. Then one week at a time, I'll click on a departure date, and select my filters and sort orders. Being EWR based, I always try and connect through LAX or SFO if possible for the lie-flats.

The rates in the calendar are the lowest rates for all flights on that day, You can't filter down the calender; You'll have to set your filters and sort order manually for each day.

I'm a 100% leisure traveler and plan trips 6+ months out. While our day of the week for departing might be solid, we always have our choice of which week we go.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
to find availability to a particular destination or region (presuming there is some flexibility which can be very helpful in finding space) i start looking for availability on the trunk/gateway routes first (including partner trunks) and worry about domestic connectors if there are seats available from the gateway search.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Booked an LHR-EWR routing that was showing IN9 I0 yesterday, and it came out to 73.6k miles instead of 60k miles. Does IN actually mean anything meaningful these days, other than slightly discounted award ticket pricing for Chase cardholders, given the current dynamic pricing scheme?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Booked an LHR-EWR routing that was showing IN9 I0 yesterday, and it came out to 73.6k miles instead of 60k miles. Does IN actually mean anything meaningful these days, other than slightly discounted award ticket pricing for Chase cardholders, given the current dynamic pricing scheme?
IN isn't available to Chase cardholders. Yes, it's still meaningful, because the JN award likely would have been 120K+. It's just clear that they're no longer using the old chart as the underlying price point.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
And this is a pure IN ticket? That strikes me as a strange number; haven't seen IN in that range before.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
And this is a pure IN ticket? That strikes me as a strange number; haven't seen IN in that range before.
I was wondering if maybe UA has increased TATL I/IN to 70K, and this is a close-in flight. If they hadn't ditched the charts years ago, they'd be overdue for an increase...
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
73.6k is the partner close-in price. Looking at EWR-LHR tonight I see United I/IN pricing at 62.8k and *A partner flights pricing at 73.6k.
Would be curious to see the receipt if PsiFighter37 truly bought just EWR-LHR for that price and not an additional *A flight tacked on to that award.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
73.6k is the partner close-in price. Looking at EWR-LHR tonight I see United I/IN pricing at 62.8k and *A partner flights pricing at 73.6k.
Would be curious to see the receipt if PsiFighter37 truly bought just EWR-LHR for that price and not an additional *A flight tacked on to that award.
I booked JN EWR-VCE outbound, and was looking for LHR-EWR in IN back. Maybe pairing the two together was the issue - I see LHR-EWR as 60k standalone. Strange
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by phkc070408
When I'm looking for an award flight, I search always research my flights as one ways. I'll only use the round trip or advance tool when I'm ready to book, since all award flights are priced as one-ways.

1. I search based off of origin and destination, and a date near when I want to go.
2. When I get to the results, I click on Flexible Calendar, which is just a 30-day calendar,.
3. Then one week at a time, I'll click on a departure date, and select my filters and sort orders. Being EWR based, I always try and connect through LAX or SFO if possible for the lie-flats.

The rates in the calendar are the lowest rates for all flights on that day, You can't filter down the calender; You'll have to set your filters and sort order manually for each day.

I'm a 100% leisure traveler and plan trips 6+ months out. While our day of the week for departing might be solid, we always have our choice of which week we go.
what benefit is there to book a round trip vs. one ways? I only see negative of a round trip purchase if one needs to change an otgin or return date.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by 747FC
what benefit is there to book a round trip vs. one ways? I only see negative of a round trip purchase if one needs to change an otgin or return date.
Until recently a one way award ticket from overseas to the USA could incur a redeposit fee. Now its better to book one ways unless the taxes differ. I also learned recently that if you cancel half a round trip the miles are not redeposited until the other half of the trip is flown or canceled.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes round trip has some unexplained (as far as I know) discount compared to two one-ways. From what I have seen it is in the 3k-6k range for I, if it is there. 🤨 🤷‍♀️
coolbeans202 and 747FC like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I also learned recently that if you cancel half a round trip the miles are not redeposited until the other half of the trip is flown or canceled.
I'm not sure I follow. If you change from a round-trip to one-way award prior to travel, the refund should be immediate. If you change it after travel has begun, the rules do not allow for a refund at all. I can't think of any situation where you'd be able to get a refund but not until flights had commenced.

The only reasons remaining to fly a round-trip award are (a) sometimes the price is lower, as fumje mentions, and (b) the Excursionist Perk requires it.
SPN Lifer, beltway, 747FC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If my memory serves me correct, the advantage of a round trip was the risk of having two re-deposit fees instead of one of we had to cancel last minute, however looking at Award service fees that appears to no-longer be the case, even for a General Member.
While a round trip doesn't make sense today, being able to use the excursion perk is a reason to book as one.
747FC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.