Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Old May 12, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I didn't see it in the initial post, but is the plan to bring dynamic pricing just for award seating, or will this impact upgrade awards as well? (I use miles almost exclusively for upgrades and not free flights, hence the question)
Old May 12, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I didn't see it in the initial post, but is the plan to bring dynamic pricing just for award seating, or will this impact upgrade awards as well? (I use miles almost exclusively for upgrades and not free flights, hence the question)
Now you are asking for second degree speculation...

We have not even fully fleshed out the first degree yet!
Old May 12, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Opening up 5 day award travel would be incredibly stupid. This would shut off short notice biz revenue which is prime rib
Then UA is incredibly stupid. I just checked MAF--IAH (a business route that I'm all too familiar with) next Monday and all 10 flights have 10k seats available. DEN--IAH on Friday the 22nd has 8/12 flights available for 12500 miles. Heck, this Friday has saver seats on 7/12 flights. NYC--LAX has 10 flights with saver seats this Friday!! Shall I go on?

I don't think that most business travelers use miles to buy their tickets when they're going to be reimbursed.

Last edited by Bonehead; May 12, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Old May 13, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Folderholder
What I haven't seen in this discussion (apologies if I missed it) is change fees. Platinum and above don't pay them for award tix. PQMs are waived for Chase CC holders who earn platinum. Under dynamic pricing won't all the platinums and above just exchange their tix every time the price dips?
Exactly why FF 4.0 will have both revenue managed and status dependent award rates AND availability.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Exactly why FF 4.0 will have both revenue managed and status dependent award rates AND availability.
So we can look forward to UA's war on frequent fliers continuing?

Who thought they could go any lower?
Old May 13, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
LS has been saying this for quite some time, though I believe it is only his opinion without any type of other indication. If there is any thing other then speculation, I would be interested in knowing about it.

My opinion is this would be very unlikely. Hard to convince Chase that miles are valuable for credit card holders if you need to be 1K in order to have certain flights/cabins available to book.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

Most of us who left this year.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:14 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
If you have miles earned based directly on dollars spent and miles redeemed for fixed value, you just have a VERY limited cash-back program. This destroys the credit cards that provide no elite benefits, since you could just use a cash-back card instead for spending and do much better.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Most of us who left this year.
I moved 90%+ of my flying away from UA early last year and burned through most my 2 mln+ miles the year before - when they raised the mileage needed for awards.

UA is doing fine now, but when oil prices rise, look out! Unless they work to be the low cost provider, I do not see how they survive.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Related topic, has anyone but me noticed how the international biz and first awards have simply vanished? At least when looking out more than next week? I'm booking more on Delta, with the supposedly far inferior and less valuable program that is often referred to as "skypesos" because I'm finding saver awards there much more available, and my status on DL is only Silver M.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Related topic, has anyone but me noticed how the international biz and first awards have simply vanished? At least when looking out more than next week? I'm booking more on Delta, with the supposedly far inferior and less valuable program that is often referred to as "skypesos" because I'm finding saver awards there much more available, and my status on DL is only Silver M.
Summer time!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by wcalvert
Summer time!
That would explain availability through August...but not through next March. Also, doesn't DL have summer at the same time? Or are you being facetious, and saying that'd be UA's excuse? ;-)
Old May 13, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Obviously, we don't know much so its pretty idle speculation. I'm sure once they unleash whatever devaluation they are planning, we'll be able to evaluate is more effectively than conjectures stacked upon each other.

:/
Old May 13, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I think the first draft of dynamic award pricing may already be live. I'm finding saver awards available on combined segments now, when none is available on the individual segment. For example:

Fare bucket availability on those flights:

UA935:
F2, FN2, A2, ON0, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9

UA1247:
F9, A9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R1, RN1, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N0, XN9, X0

So its X0 on the second segment, but they're willing to pair it with the X9 from the first and give it at the saver price.

Not sure if this is new, but I haven't seen it before. Previously you'd have to have all segments available at the saver level for a ticket to price at that level.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Not new.
The opposite is also true where 2 UA segments with saver space won't have any space when married. I've blogged about it before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.