Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (?), detailed survey about potential future service upsells

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (?), detailed survey about potential future service upsells

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
Yes! According to Delta,

Enjoy an upgraded experience with more of the perks you need in Delta Comfort+. Take advantage of your time in the air with access to Sky Priority® boarding1, dedicated overhead bin space, extra legroom, superior snacks, free drinks, and complimentary premium entertainment.

Yes, beer, wine and spirits are free. Also, the FA brings by a snack basket just to the C+ rows. The basket contains chips, chocolate, bananas and a few more items. It is similar to the basket that UA passes around in domestic first class.
It's also apparently the same as DL's FC snack basket. Sometimes it's passed by the FC FA so one suspects that it's literally the same snack basket rather than having catering load a separate one specifically for C+ passengers.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I got it too.

Following Delta...again? Premium Y cabin?

What looks like a good idea at first quickly loses its appeal for me.

United is currently making my premier benefits less meaningful by selling them or by giving them away to others.

Now they want to sell whatever else they can - and will eventually push frequent flyers further away.

Will the up sell ever end?

I just bought a Delta ticket and I resisted the upsell there. I will do my best to avoid the possible future UA upsell too.

Just get me there (almost) on time for the fare I pay.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JBord
The one I didn't understand was the PQM. How can I respond with what I would pay if I didn't know how many PQMs they were offering me? They kept offering different prices so I only said yes to the lowest price.
I noticed this as well, for both EQM and RDM. They gave a price, but no indication of how many miles for the cost.

A couple of further thoughts:

The Baggage Valet seems an open invitation for theft. Carry-on is typically where the valuable items go (versus checked baggage anyway). I guess a roller board full of laundry would be OK, but no way I would hand over anything else.

I also noted a choice about a "Trip Pass" for the United Club, where you would prepay for access to a United Club for every portion of your trip. Departure airport/layover airport/arrival airport.
I got an internal chuckle of how United would bungle the implementation of this in irrops.

I also am concerned about the dilution of elite benefits with all these add-ons. Will someone purchasing "weather protection" benefit get higher priority on re-booking then 1k? GS?
I guess on the plus side, it provides some dis-incentive for United to continue the practice of calling every delay weather-related.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
For what its worth, here are my comments on these offerings.

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Baggage valet: You'd hand over your bag at the gate or in a UC, and a United rep would then stow it in the overhead compartment above your seat.
Yeah, right. I'm going to let my carry-on's out of my control. Is that not a TSA violation? What happens when you board the plane and its not there?

Weather delay protection: You get priority phone service, a hotel reservation if you're delayed overnight and "highest priority rebooking" if the flight's cancelled.
Don't we already get all that as 1K? Sounds like your gambling on a weather delay here. Wonder what would be the lead time window for buying this. Day of Travel?

WiFi voucher: What you'd expect, and what they should have offered long ago. Maybe they can't today because they have so many different WiFi vendors?
Don't use their WiFi now, don't think I would if it was free anyway. I like being disconnected on flights. I tend to get more work done anyway.

Premium Economy cabin seat and experience: New, wider E+ seat with a leg rest and separate from the rest of Y that comes with priority boarding, extra checked bag, same meal as C, an amenity kit, UC access, and extra RDM.
This one actually looks interesting. Would love to see more details. Don't really want a wider seat, but would like more pitch even in E+. In E+ if the person in front reclines more than 1/2 way, I can't get my laptop open enough to get any work done.

Pre-ordered meal: They've tried this before, right? The description said some meal choices would be "exclusive" to the pre-order site.
If the food is not free, I'm not buying. Its all overpriced.

Drink voucher: Maybe they've noticed how many get traded on the Coupon Connection? This, too, would come with some online exclusives. Can we hope for a return of the Sunrise Sunset?
I don't drink and end up giving all my chits away anyway.

Economy Plus enhanced experience: Same seat as today but with an extra checked bag, same meal as in C, amenity kit, UC access, extra RDM.
Maybe ....

Prepaid change fee: This would come at a discount compared to the usual $200 and up.
LOL

In-flight networking: This "Web-based platform" for professional networkin struck me as a poorly-defined fusion of VX's in-flight chat with LinkedIn.
huh? Why?

VIP airport experience: Concierges usher you through your departing and arriving airports, with UC access in between. AA already sells this, but only for C and F passengers.
Now this is the service for over-entitle elites.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by drowelf
Now this is the service for over-entitle elites.
The sad thing is that service quality has become so bad, that anyone expecting anything other than being ignored, disrespected and late is treated as if they are over-entitled on this forum.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
With high load factors, the incentives for airlines to cater to Y-buying FF is greatly reduced. The issue I see, for corporate traveler is the fee structure and bundling it in with the ticket.

I like the idea of a real premium Y, but if it coded differently then a lot of business travelers won't get their companies to pay for it- and people aren't going to pay for it themselves. I'd rather have E+ complementary than have a true PY that I can't upgrade to. I don't do E-. If it comes to that I go full mercenary.

Anyway, till corporate America figures out a way for employees to be able to expense these, I see a real problem.

Our current system doesn't allow me to add on any kind of E+, so I am double loyal to UA since the system does take my status and let me pick E+.

All this is an experiment until the next dip in corporate and leisure travel and the load factors go down, then Smisek will be offering to carry my bags thru the terminal for free.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Of all of these, a true Premium Economy seat is the most interesting to me, esp for those long international flights. And yes, I would pay more to have a little room at my sides - maybe 30-40% more than coach, a la Virgin Atlantic.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Anyone else see the irony?

UA becoming a "2-cabin airline", but then investigating another cabin.

Seems like we are going back to the old system...

Best cabin is lie flat,
middle cabin is a recliner,
and worst cabin is a worse version of the old economy.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin
All this is an experiment until the next dip in corporate and leisure travel and the load factors go down, then Smisek will be offering to carry my bags thru the terminal for free.
Good one!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Premium Economy cabin seat and experience: New, wider E+ seat with a leg rest and separate from the rest of Y that comes with priority boarding, extra checked bag, same meal as C, an amenity kit, UC access, and extra RDM.
Please, as if the UCs aren't crowded enough. Sure let's let a few thousand more people per day at each airport have access to fight over the few dilapidated seats that already occupy the UCs.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StingWest
Of all of these, a true Premium Economy seat is the most interesting to me, esp for those long international flights. And yes, I would pay more to have a little room at my sides - maybe 30-40% more than coach, a la Virgin Atlantic.
It is the most interesting but it depends on the price point. If it's not significantly more to buy business, I'd do that anyway.

The assumption I make is that adding these seats reduce C/F seats, and also reduce demand as more people may be satisfied with Prem Econ. I wonder what that would do for pricing on both products?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It is the most interesting but it depends on the price point. If it's not significantly more to buy business, I'd do that anyway.

The assumption I make is that adding these seats reduce C/F seats, and also reduce demand as more people may be satisfied with Prem Econ. I wonder what that would do for pricing on both products?
Traditionally, carriers have been afraid to introduce Premium Economy because they fear that it will cannibalize sales of domestic FC or international business class tickets.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k,Marriott LT PLT, Hilton Diamond /HYATT Plat, Hertz Pres, National Exec
I received the survey and it just seems if you have the money you can buy same things 1k use to get.

One of the buy third get 45% off was buy a drink, get wifi and get FC for 83 bucks. Good luck getting any upgrades if that model goes through.

Down to 40% success rate on upgrades now.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:52 pm

It is the most interesting [Premium Economy offering] but it depends on the price point. If it's not significantly more to buy business, I'd do that anyway.

Yes, it's a balancing act for sure. To figure out the right balance it would be necessary to know on average what percentage of Business seats are paid and how many are upgrades. If they are mostly paid, then yes, offering a PE seat might take some of that away. Virgin Atlantic routinely sells out PE - and the fare seems to be about 30-35% higher than Economy, whereas they sell Upper Class (business) at roughly the same price as UA, ie much higher than PE. Virgin's PE cabin is not very big compared to their economy, so maybe they're leaving some money on the table. Who knows?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Hell, a good test would be for long TPACs have middle E+ left empty by design. That makes a huge difference, and you could test out the concept. I think Air New Zealand does something like this.

I'm all about the elbow room...

I know they want to give it a sexy name like "Premium Economy", but I think they might be able to get more people, basically the international business traveler whose company will never spring for J, to buy a Y+ product if it's named something less.. exotic.

Roadwarrior Economy
Middle-management Economy
Employee-retention Economy
My-boss-is-upfront Economy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.