Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United provided internet access/blocking restrictions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United provided internet access/blocking restrictions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I use the Juniper java based VPN and have never had an issue in the UC other than being slow.

I'll try using Tor next time I'm in a club, see if that's blocked
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
FWIW........no problem with proxpn at HNL UC.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Your using an anonymizer, nothing to do with VPN unless your VPN is doing that. TorBrowser worked with .bomb before but typing passwords and userids with TorBrowser defeats the whole purpose of that VPN.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm required to use a VPN to access my work account wherever I am, and I haven't experienced any problems doing so in any UC.
Then you don't travel much international. Many countries block VPN. Countries that monitor your usage and what you post.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
There may be technical and legal reasons for UA to block anonymizing VPN.

If you think that your banking is safer because you bought VPN connection to an unknown entity - you are sorely mistaken.
Perhaps you want to talk more to your son - someone on the other end receives your encrypted packets, decrypts them and then sends them on to your desired websites.
Obviously your are using https (any sane bank will force it), but the "trusted" VPN provider could replace the certificate and create a Man-in-the-middle attack should they so desire. Or be involuntary part to it.

Unless you control the VPN personally, or its your business VPN - you are just marginally safer than without VPN. Especially for banking (if you use all the other precautions).
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Then you don't travel much international. Many countries block VPN. Countries that monitor your usage and what you post.
China and Iran are the most notorious although there are ways to disguise VPN protocols if you know how.

Many public (and most corporate) networks block certain protocols and filter traffic using proxy servers and advanced deep packet inspection in order to protect themselves from illicit or illegal activity like piracy and malicious network attacks.

Public wifi networks usually allow VPN protocols like L2TP and IPsec (which is what most corporate VPNs use) but won't allow technology to spoof or anonymize your IP address which can be viewed as trying to circumvent proxy servers.

FWIW, I've never seen VPN usage restricted inside a UC but I don't doubt for a second that they filter traffic in order to protect the network.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JAaronT
It says it right there in the error message--they don't want anonymizers used on their network. There are many valid reasons for this. Very different than a corporate VPN.
This is the key. An anonymizer is not a VPN.

Although the OP did say that his mobile device worked fine on the UC network using that same anonymizer...

Meh, they also block all kinds of traffic. Plenty of ways around that in the majority of cases. FWIW, my corporate VPN has worked from every country to which I've traveled, including a couple which block some traffic and VPNs.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dsauch
Obviously your are using https (any sane bank will force it), but the "trusted" VPN provider could replace the certificate and create a Man-in-the-middle attack should they so desire.
Only if a CA you trust issues a cert to the VPN provider for your bank's domain.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by mduell
Only if a CA you trust issues a cert to the VPN provider for your bank's domain.
It would have to be sophisticated attack , no doubt.
But a VPN aggregator is a sweet target. And there is no shortage of news of sophisticated attacks - both government and criminally sponsored.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Depends on the VPN. My corporate Juniper software VPN worked fine on my laptop and mobile phone in Shanghai.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
At the recommendation of my son (a lot more tech savvy than me), I use an independent VPN service to further strengthen the security of my web browsing (particularly banking) and email connections. I'm sitting here in the EWR UC and find that my VPN service has been blocked. Here is the message when attempting to log into the VPN site.

Internet Access Notification
Per company policy you have been denied access to the URL:

(Not disclosed for privacy reasons)

Reason:
Not allowed to browse Anonymizer category

Website blocked

Read our organization's Web use policy: https://flyingtogether.ual.com/web/c...Guidelines.pdf

You may contact your IT support administrator at:
Phone: +1-847-700-5800
I recently encountered the same issue when in the NRT club. UA uses a 3rd party URL filter from Websense and it looks like they are sharing the same filtering templates they use internally, which explains the flyingtogether.ual.com link in the URL filter Denied page. Some large companies using URL filtering technology block 3rd party VPN services, which are oftentimes listed under Proxy or similar categories. I'm a little surprised UA applies filters within the clubs for anything other than the most obvious sites like malware, adware, etc.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Public wifi networks usually allow VPN protocols like L2TP and IPsec (which is what most corporate VPNs use) but won't allow technology to spoof or anonymize your IP address which can be viewed as trying to circumvent proxy servers.
Wouldn't you be effectively spoofing your IP address through a VPN tunnel? You'll be connecting from whatever IP address sits at the end of the tunnel, no?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been in Australia, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Bahamas, Netherlands Antilles, Jamaica, Barbados, BVI, Aruba, Canada, UK, Ireland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Hungary, Italy, Croatia, Ukraine, Benin, Cameroon, Togo, Malta, and Russia. The only two places in the above list that my VPN didin't work was Ukraine and Russia, because I didn't bring any gear that required it - those two countries were at that time on the list of places where my employer restricted laptops and phones because they would be compromised.

In every other country listed above, my VPN has worked. Flawlessly.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
I've been in Australia, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Bahamas, Netherlands Antilles, Jamaica, Barbados, BVI, Aruba, Canada, UK, Ireland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Hungary, Italy, Croatia, Ukraine, Benin, Cameroon, Togo, Malta, and Russia. The only two places in the above list that my VPN didin't work was Ukraine and Russia, because I didn't bring any gear that required it - those two countries were at that time on the list of places where my employer restricted laptops and phones because they would be compromised.

In every other country listed above, my VPN has worked. Flawlessly.
Agreed. I can add China and Vietnam as two countries often talked about for censoring internet, where I've had no problems with VPNs.

As for the previous comment about any VPN obfuscating the location and browsing habits (but not the identity) of the person using the VPN client, this is true. UA would be unprecedentedly un business-friendly to block VPNs. I think there is something else which happened here on a technical level (somehow ended up on a corporate network, perhaps due to UA's IT prowess), causing the issue with the OP.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Wouldn't you be effectively spoofing your IP address through a VPN tunnel? You'll be connecting from whatever IP address sits at the end of the tunnel, no?
The difference is that you have to establish a connection to the local network first (authentication & authorization) so your session is identified at a network level - aka: you a known user on the network and you are assigned an IP address.

After this, you establish a VPN session that connects you to a remote network using a protocol that creates a virtual 'tunnel' that allows you to securely access the remote network's resources. Only traffic that goes thru the tunnel is encrypted and secured. Your local IP address and session is still established - not spoofed or obscured.

(You can test this yourself by doing an ipconfig -a from a command window on your Windows machine. You'll see different IP addresses for your Local Area Connection (wired Ethernet), Wireless LAN Connections (local IP) and if connected, your Tunnel Adapters.)

By default, VPNs do not hide your activities from the local network. They obviously can't see any of your encrypted data but they still know who's connected and can identify the session that's generating traffic and tie it back to a user. They just can't tell what kind of traffic it is.

Anonymizers work to hide your browser sessions so that activity cannot be traced back to an individual user. This is a common tactic for hackers using public Internet hotspots to launch malicious attacks so competent network admins will block access to anonymizer websites.

Remember that there's a whole lot more to IP networks than what you do in a browser. VPNs work to secure your data but they are not meant to obscure your identity. That's a common misconception.

Last edited by mrswirl; Feb 17, 2015 at 11:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.