Search

HNL-IAH - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
HNL-IAH - couple of questions

Hi all,

We're flying HNL-IAH next month, and I had a couple of questions....I haven't flown to/from Hawaii since pmCO days. It's me, my wife, our 3 year old son, and my parents.

1. Does UA provide blankets in Y? The flight is essentially a red-eye, but I wasn't sure what UA policy is now on blankets.

2. Is GG REVUP (or upgrading in general) worth it on the high-density 777 Hawaii config? We're in E+ (my father is Plat, so got that free).

Don't have these questions on the way out there since we're going to OGG via LAX.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
1. Can't say as I haven't flown the route in Y in ages, but last time I flew it in J I am 99% certain the folks in Y had blankets.

2. Hard to say - for me, yes, but only because it's a "redeye" and I usually just travel with my wife. The prospect of trying to upgrade 3 or 5 people is less palatable. Since you've got 5, I would be more inclined to snag 16 C-G and call it good and save my miles/money. Even if you're not in the bulkhead, upgrading everyone might still not make sense as just taking a whole middle section of E+ and saving your miles/money for a better upgrade (to a lie flat) on a future trip.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Originally Posted by rishib
Hi all,

We're flying HNL-IAH next month, and I had a couple of questions....I haven't flown to/from Hawaii since pmCO days. It's me, my wife, our 3 year old son, and my parents.

1. Does UA provide blankets in Y? The flight is essentially a red-eye, but I wasn't sure what UA policy is now on blankets.

2. Is GG REVUP (or upgrading in general) worth it on the high-density 777 Hawaii config? We're in E+ (my father is Plat, so got that free).

Don't have these questions on the way out there since we're going to OGG via LAX.

Thanks!

Just a small warning to set your expectations accordingly. UA treats this flight as "DOMESTIC". We recently got moved to the HNL-IAH flight due to a schedule change coming home from Auckland. We paid huge $$ for Business First, and this was an absolute disappointment. To date, I have heard nothing, but "thank you for contacting us, and we're sorry" from Customer Care.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:06 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
...I haven't flown to/from Hawaii since pmCO days. It's me, my wife, our 3 year old son, and my parents.!
This is a pmUA 777 that was converted for a special Hawaii sub-fleet from IAH, ORD and DEN possibly other hubs).

Originally Posted by tw747
Just a small warning to set your expectations accordingly. UA treats this flight as "DOMESTIC".
The Biz 1st seats on Hawaii birds are very similar to CO seats, the old barcalounger, not lie flat like other Biz seats.

Still better than E+

I find these much better for sleeping than coach, but be aware of what you're paying for.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Hi all,

Thanks!
There are blankets in Y.

The amount of money you're willing to pay depends on you. In my opinion, the food is horrible but the angled lay flat seat are ok for sleeping in the 7-8 hour flight (much better than routing via LAX). You'll probably get offered an upgrade at checkin for $350-$500 each.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by 1KHI
the angled lay flat seat are ok for sleeping in the 7-8 hour flight (much better than routing via LAX.
They are angled, but pretty sure they don't convert to full lie flat.

The old barcaloungers certainly didn't.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
They are angled, but pretty sure they don't convert to full lie flat.
Definitely not lie-flats. They are recliners with footrests. A comfortable seat for sitting, not so much for sleeping.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
You might also want to see what "amenities" are offered on this flight in business and coach. Many of the flights from Chicago no longer have seatback entertainment regardless of class, and food is available only for purchase. Without the seatback entertainment, the flight was a LONG one. The flight did offer "bring your own entertainment" with access to a United library of movies, but it didn't work.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
The Biz 1st seats on Hawaii birds are very similar to CO seats, the old barcalounger, not lie flat like other Biz seats.
Similar is not a comparison I would use for these seats. The old CO seats had AC power and were powered recliners. The current seats have no power (at least as of 09/2014) and are mechanical seats. The old CO ones had a much larger range of adjustments available. On our flight the leg rest for my seat refused to stay up. I would raise it and it would slowly lower back down.

We were greatly disappointed by the change in equipment. And to boot the PDE on the outbound flight did not even work.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Well, that's good news on the blankets. I don't suppose there's also pillows? (Surprisingly, I am typing that question with a straight face. my expectations are low, though)

No seatback entertainment sounds awful. Hopefully the kid decides to fall asleep quickly. (we've weaned him from watching an iPad for entertainment at home, and I don't want to reintroduce it at this stage)

Is the F seat on the Hawaii birds basically a domestic First Class seat with a footrest then? UA charging a co-pay + miles for an upgrade to that sounds pretty awful.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Well, that's good news on the blankets. I don't suppose there's also pillows? (Surprisingly, I am typing that question with a straight face. my expectations are low, though)

No seatback entertainment sounds awful. Hopefully the kid decides to fall asleep quickly. (we've weaned him from watching an iPad for entertainment at home, and I don't want to reintroduce it at this stage)

Is the F seat on the Hawaii birds basically a domestic First Class seat with a footrest then? UA charging a co-pay + miles for an upgrade to that sounds pretty awful.
No pillows. The seat is better than a domestic seat. The recline goes back further, probably 120 degrees. Everything is mechanical.

I emphasize the entertainment, bring your device fully charged if you want to watch something.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
No, as stated above (with some disagreement over interpretation) in previous replies, the seat on the Hawaii 777-200 aka 777A is an unpowered barcalounger type seat.

I'd call it a primitive version of the old CO powered barcalounger that you remember. It has less range of motion and it take a bit of manhandling to adjust. But once you get it to the right configuration I'd say it comparably comfortable. They are putting power in them slowly so you might get power if you're lucky.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
No, as stated above (with some disagreement over interpretation) in previous replies, the seat on the Hawaii 777-200 aka 777A is an unpowered barcalounger type seat.

I'd call it a primitive version of the old CO powered barcalounger that you remember. It has less range of motion and it take a bit of manhandling to adjust. But once you get it to the right configuration I'd say it comparably comfortable. They are putting power in them slowly so you might get power if you're lucky.
Good summary ^

IIRC the seats are taken from old sUA 757 PS birds.

UA officially stated seats have LESS recline.

Perhaps not to everyone's liking, but I like manual setting better.

And would always rather sit there then coach. And would always rather sit in true lie flat UA Biz seat

Oh, and "They are putting power in them slowly so you might get power if you're lucky." refers to power outlets, not powered seats
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
OP I feel bad that you missed the 777 that was sub'd in march with the 2-2-2 flat config.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
OP I feel bad that you missed the 777 that was sub'd in march with the 2-2-2 flat config.
I was just going to bring that up. The lie flats, a CO 764, was flying that route for a limited time, my wife just flew it a few days ago and she was thrilled. The buy up would've been well worth it. As previously mentioned, the 772 F seat is mechanically operated, but I found it comfortable, personally I don't think it worth $300 or so to buy up for each traveler. I believe the flight comes with both blankets and pillows in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.