Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best J Product for Australia Award to SYD/MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Hi --

Looking to book an award to either Sydney or Melbourne using UA miles. I was thinking of flying through Asia, due to low availability on more direct routings.

Which airline offers the best J product to Australia?
From what I can see:
  1. OZ via ICN
  2. NZ via AKL
  3. TG via BKK
  4. SQ via SIN
  5. CA via PEK or PVG

From what I've gathered, OZ doesn't have lie-flat, and TG may or may not have lie-flat. Out of all of these, how would you rank the options for Asia - Australia and why?

If I missed any other routing options, let me know!

Will be originating at SEA, if that matters.

Last edited by OnWing; Mar 30, 2015 at 1:50 am
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:03 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
If booking with UA miles I don't believe it is possible to get J or F awards on SQ. This might be true of NZ as well, but not sure.

I would rate as SQ, TG, CA in my pecking order based on the J cabins and service, but to each their own. I have never flown NZ or OZ.

For TG this thread may be helpful in seeing what type of plane they use on the route:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...-overview.html

I have not searched for, but the other airlines may have similar.

Last edited by Steve_19; Mar 30, 2015 at 2:55 am
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
1) Will have angled lie flats to SYD. Not sure what is ex SEA but getting to LAX will get the A380 with QS.
2) You won't get a J award.
3) What would get you to BKK? The 747 to SYD is angled flat. You may get the new staggered lie flat J to MEL.
4) You won't get a J award.
5) I wouldn't fly through China with the ATC delays, greater potential for issues. But I do believe CA is the only one offering 3 class from north Asia.

Any of the flights are going to be a LONG day(s) of flying.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
1) Will have angled lie flats to SYD. Not sure what is ex SEA but getting to LAX will get the A380 with QS.
2) You won't get a J award.
3) What would get you to BKK? The 747 to SYD is angled flat. You may get the new staggered lie flat J to MEL.
4) You won't get a J award.
5) I wouldn't fly through China with the ATC delays, greater potential for issues. But I do believe CA is the only one offering 3 class from north Asia.

Any of the flights are going to be a LONG day(s) of flying.
Has SQ J availability been cut that much recently? Yes, it isn't bookable online, but a year and a half back I made a SQ booking and had no issues getting space PEK-SIN-CHC-SIN. I also remember a good amount of space via SYD/MEL (though forgot what routings exactly) but trans-tasman was all either single cabin or no awards up front, so I passed on it.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I guess the OP could find a way to get to SIN in J not on SQ but I didn't think ex-US awards were ever seen.

I assumed aside from maybe a positioning flight from SEA to SFO, LAX, YVR that OP wanted same carrier all the way through.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
You can remove Alternative 2 from your list. I don't believe NZ has offered J class awards from North America for several years and even intra Asia, they are rare, mostly AKL to China.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Australia is difficult because of the limited connecting options from Asia. Many would say that TG F is your best connecting option, but there's lots of uncertainty right now about TG in general and the fate of F on its Australia flights specifically. As noted above, they're currently running the 773-ER to MEL, and that's a good option in J, subject to uncertainty about what aircraft will actually show up at the gate.

People also often run into routing issues via Asia due to an 8 segment maximum.

This is a route where UA Global First from SFO or LAX should be seriously considered, especially since it's the same points redemption as *A J.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Don't forget BR

One option that's not been mentioned yet is BR via TPE. They have excellent flat beds in their 777s. Catering is also great, especially if you like Asian food. I've flown them on UA awards and am a big fan.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by transportprof
One option that's not been mentioned yet is BR via TPE. They have excellent flat beds in their 777s. Catering is also great, especially if you like Asian food. I've flown them on UA awards and am a big fan.
I thought BR can only get you to BNE ?

On the other hand, you can still experience NZ if you're willing to make big fat detour like US-PVG-AKL-Aussie ... plus check out the new 787-9

There's another backdoor on AC YVR-SYD but those seats are also hard to come by (but at least they exist, unlike NZ which is pretty much non-existent)

ps : I think *some* SQ frequencies to SYD and MEL are done by regionally-config'ed 330s, which are redeemable by UA miles (but doesn't show up on website, need to call in)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2015 at 1:10 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
As a SYD-based 1K, I'll put in my two cents worth.

My thoughts on the original 5 suggestions:
(1) OZ has good availability between ICN and SYD, but angled flats. Wouldn't bother going via ICN unless you want to go there anyway.
(2) NZ, as others have said, simply doesn't release TPAC business class. At least, I haven't seen any in 3 years of searching.
(3) TG is decent, I fly their F a lot. But their J isn't all that great and BKK is a pain in the arse IMHO, one of the worst major airports in Asia (I fly through there a lot).
(4) SQ, forget it, you'll really struggle to find award space using Mileage Plus. If you do, it'll be on one of their planes with angled seats. I use my SQ miles when I want to fly them.
(5) CA has a variable product (it's been a while since I was involved with CA, but at the time it was sort of a lottery as to what J product you'd get to SYD). Decent award availability though, you can often find something. And with the 72-hour transit visa (is that still in effect?), you can make a stopover in PEK or PVG.

(6) BR has a great J product ex-USA and availability was decent last time I checked. But limited options from their to Australia; they used to fly to BNE, not sure if they still do. You'll wind up doing a couple of connections in Asia. I often have trouble getting United.com to price itineraries via TPE, but I've been able to book it by calling the MP premier line.

(7) UA. As other posters said, for the same miles as other carriers' J you can get UA F which is actually pretty good. I never flew UA F until two years ago, and have flown it four times now on the SYD routes. Every time it's been very good and pleasantly surprising. Good lounge, nice food, big seat (if not the most private), and friendly crew (often a bit quirky, but certainly with personality). But even in J, I have yet to have a terrible crew in 12 crossings, most have been very good, and a couple have been among the best crews I've had on any airline, anywhere (and I'm an SQ PPS member so I have a high benchmark). I also generally find UA to have decent award availability. It's very dynamic, so I typically book something and change it a few times until I get the exact dates that I want.

(8) Air Canada. I have done AC33/AC34 YVR-SYD four or five times in the past three years. First of all, YVR is IMHO the best airport in North America and the Maple Leaf Lounges beat the United Clubs by a mile (though I wish the MLL @ YVR had showers). Their 777-200LR/-300ER are nicely kitted out in business, with lie-flat herringbone seats. Some call it a "coffin" arrangement, but I'm 6'2" and (ahem) big-boned and I have no trouble with it at all. The food is decent, and I have yet to have anything but an excellent crew. The service is top-notch and super-friendly. This 15-16 hour flight flies by every time I take it. And the award availability, while not as good as UA, is certainly there.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
+1 They have Dom in Biz
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
but they don't fly TPE-SYD, right? so you'd still have to go through BKK.

for my miles, if i could get AC from YVR to SYD i'd take that. the availability in J is often pretty decent for 1-2 pax, except around the very high peak travel periods.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
SYD options

AC via YVR is also a possibilty.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
but they don't fly TPE-SYD, right? so you'd still have to go through BKK.

It appears that BR have stopped flying to SYD, but they do still serve BNE.

I'd take BR over AC, but that won't get OP where s/he wants to land.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I flew CA on the A330 SYD - PEK about a year ago and it was solid. On the A330 they have TK style ottoman J seats (read no footwells) and I viewed it as a nicer version of flying on a UA / AA / DL international flight.

At the time the flight timing was particularly good (not sure what it is now) since it left SYD at 8pm and was roughly 11.5 hours long I was able to eat, have a few drinks, and sleep for about 7-8 hours.

The TR in my signature has pictures of that flight if looking for visuals since I know CA isn't as widely covered on these forums.

FWIW on SQ my understanding is with UA miles they only have availability on the 773 which has the medium haul J product and you will be unable to book any of the refurbished 777s or A380 without lucking into an equipment swap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.