Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Gold Questions for Others on Same Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
I have Gold status on United. My question is what benefits are applicable to family members traveling on the same ticket as me? I know I only get a free Economy Plus seat for one other person. If there are 3 people in addition to me, do they get the same boarding group as me? What about if we have to make a Same Day Change? Do we all get to switch without fees? Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You are not on the same ticket. You have multiple tickets under the same record locator. Record will be split with a same-day change and applicable fees will apply to each passenger based on their own status. Tickets will reflect their boarding group based on their own noted status or non-status if they are not award tickets. You can tell the gate agent the others are with you and you'll probably all be let through..
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Your companions on the same reservation should get the same baggage allowance and boarding group. They should also get the same SDC benefit.

If this is a domestic flight, you won't get CPU in advance, as it is only allowed for you and 1 companion. If you want to try for that, you'll have to split two folks off, and then you and your companion will be eligible. If not, if you choose to split the reservation at check in to try for an upgrade, at the airport, you can designate one person as a companion to be put on the upgrade standby list with you - they should be right below you, but each will clear individually, so possible for one to clear and the other not.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by km782
Hello,
I have Gold status on United. My question is what benefits are applicable to family members traveling on the same ticket as me? I know I only get a free Economy Plus seat for one other person. If there are 3 people in addition to me, do they get the same boarding group as me? What about if we have to make a Same Day Change? Do we all get to switch without fees? Thank you.
All three of your companions can get E+ seats with you and can also board with you.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
All three of your companions can get E+ seats with you and can also board with you.
But 2 of the companions have to pay for the E+ seats. Gold is only allowed to bring 1 person into E+ free.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I've heard different things about the Same Day Change benefit. I'm in a similar situation (i'm UA Gold, my wife and child are not). Can anyone confirm from experience if my wife/child will have to pay the SDC fee?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Songer5
I've heard different things about the Same Day Change benefit. I'm in a similar situation (i'm UA Gold, my wife and child are not). Can anyone confirm from experience if my wife/child will have to pay the SDC fee?
If booked as a part of the same PNR, then companions will have the same benefit as the elite. If not the same PNR, then no.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If booked as a part of the same PNR, then companions will have the same benefit as the elite. If not the same PNR, then no.
How does it work in this scenario-

2 pax, 1 pax is gold and one pax has no status

Original reservation was one pnr but auto-spilt due to waitlisted upgrades

Does the fact that this was originally one pnr booked under gold come into play and would showing a hard copy the original itin and e-receipt showing the original booking come into play as the auto split of the reservation is no fault of the pax
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
How does it work in this scenario-

2 pax, 1 pax is gold and one pax has no status

Original reservation was one pnr but auto-spilt due to waitlisted upgrades

Does the fact that this was originally one pnr booked under gold come into play and would showing a hard copy the original itin and e-receipt showing the original booking come into play as the auto split of the reservation is no fault of the pax
The record should show the split and previous tie to an elite. So, it will require a manual request but it should be honored.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
The record should show the split and previous tie to an elite. So, it will require a manual request but it should be honored.
Agree - I've had very good luck (if not 100%, near 100% and never had to HUCA more than once) getting premier benefits for travelers split off of the original reservation if you call and explain. Never even really a fight. If you really care, you can ask United to notate both records when the split happens (I did this for a complex international itinerary and it seemed to help with *A carriers later in the trip).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
Agree - I've had very good luck (if not 100%, near 100% and never had to HUCA more than once) getting premier benefits for travelers split off of the original reservation if you call and explain. Never even really a fight. If you really care, you can ask United to notate both records when the split happens (I did this for a complex international itinerary and it seemed to help with *A carriers later in the trip).
Thank you both ^ and I'll pass the word on to goalie-parents
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
What about flight cancellation and standing by?

Original flight from ORD to MSN cancelled due to incoming weather. To standby for earlier flight, had to split the reservation I was on with my daughter, so I'm #1 on the standby list, she's #12.

So it appears for standing by for a flight, after a cancellation, you're forced to split the reservation, and the lesser-status person ain't gonna make it? The agent said something to the effect that they'll spot two people with the same last name and try to accommodate, but not sure if that means they'll just make sure that we're not split up (I get on and she doesn't... so neither gets on). Definitely don't want to leave her behind.
Updated after flight-
Different agent now working the gate. 27 people on standby list, I'm #1, my daughter #12. At first it looks like only one spot on the plane, which I decline, explaining that I didn't want to leave her behind. She surmises that it's a split record and my daughter was on my original PNR, says to hold on, does a physical check of the seating on the plane, a second person hasn't shown up so she gets us both on. I don't know if this is by the book or not, but it was certainly appreciated.

From what I heard shortly afterward, UA3705 was the last flight to leave ORD for a while. The thunderstorm was moving in right after we boarded, and I was wondering if they were going to shut down ground operations due to concerns about lightning strikes. It didn't look very friendly out there.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Aug 3, 2015 at 12:33 am Reason: New info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.