Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Business Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Business Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Longboater
Jose acknowledged that it will be 1-2-1 with 60J/310Y layout on the 77W, with 3-4-3 E+.
if this is true, will this signify the beginning of a complete J cabin refurbishment to 1-2-1 on all wide body int. aircraft?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
if this is true, will this signify the beginning of a complete J cabin refurbishment to 1-2-1 on all wide body int. aircraft?
Hahaha no way
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by ani90
How do we reconcile these statements? If this is the best J seat out there, why a need for upgrade? Upgrade to what?
Just because I like it doesn't mean it's a commercially sound strategy. (Know this is an entirely foreign concept to most FT posters.)
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yes, it does matter when I am flying for pleasure.

However, I live in a tiny little podunk town and, for business travel, UA provides me with the best timely connections to get to Asia, where 90% of my business is conducted. I have looked at other carrier's schedules and they just don't work as well for me unless I actually want to spend 3 to 5 hours at a hub before my international flight. With UA, I can usually get a domestic to international connection time of 1-1 1/2 hours at the hub, which is ideal for me.

UA provides for my basic needs in business class, which is primarily a seat that I can sleep in, so that I can arrive at my destination ready to work. Their poor food, amenities, and IFE are not important to me.
There is little point in trying to convince those who can't figure this out in 6.2 seconds, it is so obvious.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: aa, ua 1k
Originally Posted by Longboater
Jose acknowledged that it will be 1-2-1 with 60J/310Y layout on the 77W, with 3-4-3 E+.
Not accurate. Not a 19% J:Y ratio.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The new configuration isn't for the 77Ws it's for the preexisting sUA 77A aircraft. Code will be 77G and it will be 28J/98E+/238Y for a total of 364 seats.
8% J:Y ratio. Bye Bye business upgrades and awards but you can go to the bathroom without touching another human being. Big win for United.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ClayPot
8% J:Y ratio. Bye Bye business upgrades and awards but you can go to the bathroom without touching another human being. Big win for United.
You're confusing aircraft. That aircraft (77G) will be used domestic hub to hub and Hawaii, not long-haul international. Configuration is very close to the current 772 Hawaii config., at 32/98/214.

The 60 seat BF config. on 77W was reported by sbm12. UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 5, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: aa, ua 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're confusing aircraft. That aircraft (77G) will be used domestic hub to hub and Hawaii, not long-haul international. Configuration is very close to the current 772 Hawaii config., at 32/98/214.

The 60 seat BF config. on 77W was reported by sbm12. UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs.
Well that pretty well takes the wind out of my smart a comment.

Is the Y cabin going to have 310 seats? That would more or less preserve the current ratio.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ClayPot
Well that pretty well takes the wind out of my smart a comment.

Is the Y cabin going to have 310 seats? That would more or less preserve the current ratio.
That's the report. 77W - 370 seats total. This is all second-hand info.

UA has maintained a fairly generous premium cabin ratio on new long-haul aircraft. Witness the 789 with 48 J seats. They do seem to realize that long-haul upgrade availability is an important driver of traffic for their customer base.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's the report. 77W - 370 seats total. This is all second-hand info.

UA has maintained a fairly generous premium cabin ratio on new long-haul aircraft. Witness the 789 with 48 J seats. They do seem to realize that long-haul upgrade availability is an important driver of traffic for their customer base.
Yes, and if they need to squeeze a few more Y seats onboard to allow for a relatively large (numerically) J cabin, I am ok with that.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Yes, and if they need to squeeze a few more Y seats onboard to allow for a relatively large (numerically) J cabin, I am ok with that.
Not ok with it when squeezing a "few" more Y seats equates to a 1.5" width reduction of every Y seat.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
There is little point in trying to convince those who can't figure this out in 6.2 seconds, it is so obvious.
If one assumes they can fly UA to domestic *A departure point and take a real airline from there to Asia, then yes, this is true.

The only reason to take UA in J class is either an upgrade or deeply discounted corporate contract.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The only reason to take UA in J class is either an upgrade or deeply discounted corporate contract.
Or schedule. Or price. Or the other option is LH Business which is about equal if not a little worse than UA's on several of their planes.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by halls120
As maligned as it is, the sUA IPTE seats still have the most comfortable cushions of any C seat I've experienced.
This!

Originally Posted by Shareholder
AA's newer seat has lots of positions, pre-programmed and self-selected.
Along with very firm, almost rock like cushions. Combining UA's cushions with this seat layout would be ideal in terms of comfort and ease of access.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Or schedule. Or price. Or the other option is LH Business which is about equal if not a little worse than UA's on several of their planes.
NH often prices out exactly the same as UA to Asia given their codeshare and JV relationship...it's like shopping at Nordstrom at Walmart prices.

EVA is another solid performer to Asia, as is Asiana on some route/aircraft.

No different than AA/JL - I am always able to book customers on JL operated flights with the Skysuite at the same, or nearly the same cost as AA operated flights with the old style crap seats if the inventory is there.

Why would someone fly AA when a JL Skysuite is available? Beats me...same with UA vs NH.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CMK10
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.