Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ual.com Not Returning Economy Fares When Y Bucket Shows Availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ual.com Not Returning Economy Fares When Y Bucket Shows Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Another way to approach this...document the fare rules. I have never seen a true A-fare on UA, and this is no exception. I see the fare as:
PHL-HOU H H2UPY3
So this is an H-fare, which is an Economy fare, but upgrades into First. The fare rules in ITA and routing rules in ExpertFlyer both show this as Economy.

Could this be sufficient to meet your company policy? Especially with documentation that this really is the lowest fare.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by wh6cto
Another way to approach this...document the fare rules. I have never seen a true A-fare on UA, and this is no exception. I see the fare as:
PHL-HOU H H2UPY3
So this is an H-fare, which is an Economy fare, but upgrades into First. The fare rules in ITA and routing rules in ExpertFlyer both show this as Economy.

Could this be sufficient to meet your company policy? Especially with documentation that this really is the lowest fare.
I don't think so unless the H fare was the same price as American.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by slickvik
What if I booked an economy flight for earlier in the day and then called United and asked in I could pay the $210 to switch (no change fee) to the later flight first class?
You could probably do that online ("Change Flights") after the ticket issues. I've done it. Good idea to book one of the other return flights that would cause the Economy ticket to match the AA price.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:22 am
RNE

I may not be following this accurately—I'm rather preoccupied while attending a conference on Venusian disarmament—but can't the OP buy both an AA ticket and a UA ticket? Then he may print out the AA receipt, cancel the AA reservation and fly the more expensive UA booking. He may then turn in the AA receipt and get reimbursed with a clear conscience. His employer isn't out a penny more than it would have been had he actually flown the AA booking.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
I may not be following this accurately—I'm rather preoccupied while attending a conference on Venusian disarmament—but can't the OP buy both an AA ticket and a UA ticket? Then he may print out the AA receipt, cancel the AA reservation and fly the more expensive UA booking. He may then turn in the AA receipt and get reimbursed with a clear conscience. His employer isn't out a penny more than it would have been had he actually flown the AA booking.
If you actually buy an AA ticket outside of 7 days you have bought the ticket and will incur a change fee...AA offers a hold option (versus the 24-hour refund option that UA offers).
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
... but can't the OP buy both an AA ticket and a UA ticket? Then he may print out the AA receipt, cancel the AA reservation and fly the more expensive UA booking. He may then turn in the AA receipt and get reimbursed with a clear conscience. His employer isn't out a penny more than it would have been had he actually flown the AA booking.
Yes but for many organizations this kind of subterfuge would be grounds for dismissal and any IRS filing of the receipt would be "problematic" -- in other words, this is a really bad idea.

Submitting both receipts and clearly stating the OP optionally chose the more expensive but is request only the lower amount would be a possible options -- the worst would be being told not to do it again.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slickvik
Trying to buy an economy seat from PHL-IAH on evening of April 22, but United is selling A even though I'm seeing Y4, B4, and M4. Should I just wait it out until they open up?
And remember, just because you see a fare bucket available, it doesn't mean there is a published fare associated with it. For instance, if you searched for PHL-MCO connecting through IAD, it might return an M.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Another wrinkle our travel site gets a 6% discount so to change flights would mean I would have to pay that amount also. So my best option at this point is to probably just fly back via Chicago or sacrifice some miles and stay the rest of the week in NYC with my brother and come back from LGA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.