Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ual.com Not Returning Economy Fares When Y Bucket Shows Availability?

Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

Trying to buy an economy seat from PHL-IAH on evening of April 22, but United is selling A even though I'm seeing Y4, B4, and M4. Should I just wait it out until they open up?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2015 at 7:10 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by slickvik
Trying to buy an economy seat from PHL-IAH on evening of April 22, but United is selling A even though I'm seeing Y4, B4, and M4. Should I just wait it out until they open up?
If you specify "M" (cheapest available Economy bucket) you get a fare of $738, vs $735 in FC (A). Not uncommon...UA's search engine automatically gives you FC if that's the lowest fare. It's trying to do you a favor.

(I assume that you're looking at UA 1574)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bonehead
If you specify "M" (cheapest available Economy bucket) you get a fare of $738, vs $735 in FC (A). Not uncommon...UA's search engine automatically gives you FC if that's the lowest fare. It's trying to do you a favor.

(I assume that you're looking at UA 1574)
OP might be constrained by corporate travel policy that requires Y travel booking regardless of prices (bone-headed, I know)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:57 pm

Yep - as was just said above, you'll have to specify an Economy fare class if you have to purchase an economy fare (like many companies require). If you don't have to take the Economy seat and have to be on this flight, just take the A fare. Doubtful Econ is going to get much cheaper between now and Sunday.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffJ
Yep - as was just said above, you'll have to specify an Economy fare class if you have to purchase an economy fare (like many companies require). If you don't have to take the Economy seat and have to be on this flight, just take the A fare. Doubtful Econ is going to get much cheaper between now and Sunday.
And take a screenshot to show accounting if they squawk.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Thanks I thought of searching by class also. So what should I do, hope Y or B or M drop by $200 to match American, or just book a return via Chicago? I have no interest in flying American/USAir.

Round trip 4/20 -4/22 price is $1049 on American so that's my ceiling

Originally Posted by JeffJ
I'm flying April 22 not March 22

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2015 at 7:05 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks I thought of searching by class also. So what should I do, hope Y or B or M drop by $200 to match American, or just book a return via Chicago? I have no interest in flying American/USAir.

Round trip 4/20 -4/22 price is $1049 on American so that's my ceiling
I guess I'd go ahead and book the return via ORD, but the late afternoon flight is S1 so strike quickly or that fare will go up. If the nonstop is down to Y4 a month out I don't think any of the lower-fare buckets will open up; more likely the flight will sell out.

Of course if it were REALLY me I'd probably book the FC return and eat the $210 (3.5-hour flight with dinner and DirecTV). YMMV.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I guess I'd go ahead and book the return via ORD, but the late afternoon flight is S1 so strike quickly or that fare will go up. If the nonstop is down to Y4 a month out I don't think any of the lower-fare buckets will open up; more likely the flight will sell out.

Of course if it were REALLY me I'd probably book the FC return and eat the $210 (3.5-hour flight with dinner and DirecTV). YMMV.
I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to buy the first class United flight, even if I ate the $210 because of the travel policy at my company.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:17 pm

I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to buy the first class United flight, even if I ate the $210 because of the travel policy at my company.
Dunno about your company policy, but one option is to book in Economy which satisfies company policy and then call to pay the fare difference yourself.

If done within 24 hours of ticketing, I've never had them charge a fee, just the fare difference.
My company fully allows this since the company paid portion is in Y.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: 1K
I find myself in this situation quite often for short domestic flights booked at T-24,48. When I book into F, I ALWAYS also have firm documentation on the lowest available Y fare at the time. Consultants already get a bad rep with billing/spending too much -- just keep the documentation in your back pocket ^ A receipt in F for a short flight is not what you want your client to see without any context.

Obviously get buy-in with the person approving your expenses so that you can cancel within the 24-hour window (if necessary). Then, you'll know how to handle this situation going forward.

You can also purchase the Y fare for back-up. It will (most likely) be fully-refundable and get upgraded anyway.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kingston
Dunno about your company policy, but one option is to book in Economy which satisfies company policy and then call to pay the fare difference yourself.

If done within 24 hours of ticketing, I've never had them charge a fee, just the fare difference.
OP can't justify the Y fare (which is actually higher than the Y+F fare) because it is significantly higher than an AA fare for flights that also work timewise. The rub is that the UA early-evening nonstop is apparently a popular flight, at least on April 22.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kingston

The only way I would be able to book economy would be to book the ORD ticket which is $400 less, and then I would have to make up the difference. Do you mean that I should book the economy fare for a different time that day and then have it changed to F and pay the $210 difference assuming no change fee?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
The only way I would be able to book economy would be to book the ORD ticket which is $400 less, and then I would have to make up the difference. Do you mean that I should book the economy fare for a different time that day and then have it changed to F and pay the $210 difference assuming no change fee?
You were given advice that doesn't apply in your situation. Purchasing Economy (assuming lower price) and then calling within 24 hours to pay the difference to First will work if there is difference in price (not in your case) and same carrier (also, not the case).

Since the lower fare is on American, you can buy the Economy fare and try upgrading with them to First (if available and you're interested) but since First Class is less expensive than Economy on United, there is no upfaring that needs to be done in that case.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
You were given advice that doesn't apply in your situation. Purchasing Economy (assuming lower price) and then calling within 24 hours to pay the difference to First will work if there is difference in price (not in your case) and same carrier (also, not the case).

Since the lower fare is on American, you can buy the Economy fare and try upgrading with them to First (if available and you're interested) but since First Class is less expensive than Economy on United, there is no upfaring that needs to be done in that case.
What if I booked an economy flight for earlier in the day and then called United and asked in I could pay the $210 to switch (no change fee) to the later flight first class?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What if I booked an economy flight for earlier in the day and then called United and asked in I could pay the $210 to switch (no change fee) to the later flight first class?
If done in the first 24 hours, there are no change fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.