Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
FRA-ORD Paid F (not sure of fare class):

1/31 (and all prev) 15,197 RDM each way
3/1 72,655 RDM one way (+378%)

me likey!

Return hasn't posted yet, but assume it will only be 2,345 RDM to hit the 75k cap.

Note to self - book as 2 one-ways next time.
Except usually it is much more expensive to book it as two one ways.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by myb821
Except usually it is much more expensive to book it as two one ways.
On C/F (and associated fare classes), sometimes yes sometimes not.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The rough cost of an award ticket to an airline is also given in the financials, at about 15 USD. I wonder how many people will MR if they realised they redeem miles earned at 4cpm which cost the airline 0.06cpm?
That figure is relevant only in terms of the context presented, and bears no semblance to the actual cost of flying. Further, $15 may cover ticket processing, but the missed-opportunity costs of selling that ticket add up to a heck of a lot more than .06cpm.

Further, the cost of actually providing something has little to do with its utility to the end-user. The decision to fly an MR, or not, depends upon the individual's perception of the value of what is received.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 8, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS
My first segment under the new rules just posted. More than twice the miles than before. ^
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:07 am

Double speak

So here is my reply from 1KVoice at United.

"United has determined that only base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges will be eligible for award miles. Unfortunately, co-payments will not be included in the calculation."

So United want to award miles based on what money people give to them, but not copayments.

Seems clear United no longer want people like me flying with them. Time to search these forums for other networks who do want my $30K per annum in flight fees.

Originally Posted by Jason Clark
Here is my main gripe. Why are united not giving miles on co-payments, that's real cash for them.

So for my UK to US flights, $1000 in copayments would be 11K miles at 1K if they gave miles.

I complained to united and their response was "Historically, we’ve based key elements of the loyalty program on how many miles our members fly with us. However, over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles".

So why not award miles on copayments? If united were awarding miles on copayments, I wouldn't be complaining. I don't expect miles on my airport tax payments, but I do expect miles based on cash I give United!

So on $3,000 return flight $750 of that is taxes, leaving $2,250 for united. I used to earn 24k miles as 1K on that flight. Now I am earning only 7,500 miles.

If united were awarding miles on actual cash I paid, i.e. included co-payments I would be getting 24,750 miles.

So United are being mendacious, they are not awarding miles based on how much I pay to them and how often I fly with them.

Now I have just asked United, if their users want a program based around what we pay them, why are co-payments not included? I wait to see what FAQ answer I get to that this time.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Here is my main gripe. Why are united not giving miles on co-payments, that's real cash for them.

So for my UK to US flights, $1000 in copayments would be 11K miles at 1K if they gave miles.

I complained to united and their response was "Historically, we’ve based key elements of the loyalty program on how many miles our members fly with us. However, over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles".

So why not award miles on copayments? If united were awarding miles on copayments, I wouldn't be complaining. I don't expect miles on my airport tax payments, but I do expect miles based on cash I give United!

So on $3,000 return flight $750 of that is taxes, leaving $2,250 for united. I used to earn 24k miles as 1K on that flight. Now I am earning only 7,500 miles.

If united were awarding miles on actual cash I paid, i.e. included co-payments I would be getting 24,750 miles.

So United are being mendacious, they are not awarding miles based on how much I pay to them and how often I fly with them.

Now I have just asked United, if their users want a program based around what we pay them, why are co-payments not included? I wait to see what FAQ answer I get to that this time.
You lost me on your calculations. You said you're 1K. That's 11X. So on the ticket you described as $2,250 you would get 24,750. (2,250 X 11). How did you get down to only 7,500 miles? That would imply that you paid $681 for your R/T (7,500 / 11). How did you get from $681 to $3,000? By paying $1,000 in upgrade costs? Where does that number come from?

None of your numbers are making sense.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:57 am

I've already explained, what portion of my flights were co-payments and what were cash and taxes.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You lost me on your calculations. You said you're 1K. That's 11X. So on the ticket you described as $2,250 you would get 24,750. (2,250 X 11). How did you get down to only 7,500 miles? That would imply that you paid $681 for your R/T (7,500 / 11). How did you get from $681 to $3,000? By paying $1,000 in upgrade costs? Where does that number come from?

None of your numbers are making sense.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I've already explained, what portion of my flights were co-payments and what were cash and taxes.
Yes. And they don't add up. $681 for a fare and $1,000 for co-payments don't come to $3,000. No where near it. And then you go $3,000 less $750 for taxes? Where did that come from? Particularly the $750 in taxes?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Seems clear United no longer want people like me flying with them. Time to search these forums for other networks who do want my $30K per annum in flight fees.
It has taken you THIS long to figger that out.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The rough cost of an award ticket to an airline is also given in the financials, at about 15 USD. I wonder how many people will MR if they realised they redeem miles earned at 4cpm which cost the airline 0.06cpm?
Generally, the whole point to MRing is for status and PQMs, not RDMs. It doesn't matter what the cost to the airline is - all that matters is the cost to my wallet. Considering that an airline sells a PQM for about 10 cents a mile (with Premier Accelerator or similar program), 4 CPM is pretty good.

I don't see any point to MRing for RDM, unless there was a really good promo. In most cases, if you need miles to top off for an award, it's cheaper just to buy them outright.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

I just completed a cheapo fare from DCA-TPA at $74. I got like 600 miles for it. As a 1K...Lol. You have to be kidding.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I just completed a cheapo fare from DCA-TPA at $74. I got like 600 miles for it. As a 1K...Lol. You have to be kidding.
Does this surprise you, though? You're getting exactly what UA has said you'll be getting come March 1. What's your strategy going forward?

So United want to award miles based on what money people give to them, but not copayments.
What does Delta do? Is UA just matching them?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:38 am
Suspended

Nothing. Put my head down and suck it up.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
So UA's revenue was roughly $54 and UA discounted that further by providing $9 worth of RDMs (@1.5cpm -- adjust as you prefer) - 17% discount / rebate/ .... .
If you had gotten 1,628 miles (including 1K bonus) of the old system -- it would have been 45% discount / rebate/ ....

Perhaps this is why most loyalty, reward systems are revenue based.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: EY Gold, GF Gold, IHG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Do you perhaps mean EWR-HKG? UA doesn't fly LAX-HKG anymore, and UA 179/180 are the flight numbers for EWR-HKG/HKG-EWR (and no, there's no "direct" flight LAX-EWR-HKG).
Yes you caught my mistake. I flew out of LAX on Asiana two weeks prior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.