Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using SDC to lower ticket cost and go from S > W?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I'm flying DEN-LHR for business this weekend.

I'm in C on the way over, so that's fine.

On the way back, because I hit a cost ceiling, client booked me in S. Not upgradeable.

If I found a routing that was still DEN-LHR return but overall cheaper, could I use that difference to try to my return flights in W instead of S?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by JustBreathe

On the way back, because I hit a cost ceiling, client booked me in S. Not upgradeable.

If I found a routing that was still DEN-LHR return but overall cheaper, could I use that difference to try to my return flights in W instead of S?
SDC is only for same class. So if you found free SDC it would be in S. If you were to change to W it would require a refare and change fee, likely in the hundreds of dollars.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
SDC is only for same class. So if you found free SDC it would be in S. If you were to change to W it would require a refare and change fee, likely in the hundreds of dollars.
OP might get an agent who would kick you up to W for just the fare difference if he/she/it talks sweet nothins to them. It's worked for me...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold

With the ticketing fees and the fare change fees, why dont you try and upgrade using miles+money. Should be around $500 +20K miles. Might just turn out to be cheaper than upfaring and reticketing.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thanks. I think I conflated "any change in fare" with potential changes in class.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
With the ticketing fees and the fare change fees, why dont you try and upgrade using miles+money. Should be around $500 +20K miles. Might just turn out to be cheaper than upfaring and reticketing.
I thought I couldn't upgrade from W...although maybe that's only for GPU's?

Do they ever do CPU's TATL or no? (assuming you're in W or better)
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do they ever do CPU's TATL or no?
No.

There are OpUps and it can happen but really best to simply assume that's not part of the game.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:59 pm

I've had an agent change a TATL segment to W and only charged me the difference in fare. She said that they usually waive the re-ticketing fee when you want to do this to use a GPU.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Yes.

W is a requirement for GPU, not for a miles/cash supported upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold

Do they ever do CPU's TATL or no? (assuming you're in W or better)
GPU eligible fares are W and above. For miles and money, it is anyfare class
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's not correct. SDC allows an upfare without a change fee.

OP, yes, you can do this. The challenge will be finding a flight with open R at T-24.

Also, as others have noted, the only reason to upfare to a W is if you're trying to use a GPU. You can upgrade the S with miles + co-pay.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
GPU eligible fares are W and above. For miles and money, it is anyfare class
I have a really stupid question, when you say "W and above" does that mean alphabetically like X,Y and Z?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I have a really stupid question, when you say "W and above" does that mean alphabetically like X,Y and Z?
Nope, Y,B,M,E,U,H,etc would be higher than a W fare. Nothing to do with alphabetical. There is a thread all about fare letters. I think it is in one of the stickies.

Here it is

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
No, it refers to the ranking of UA's fare buckets. For economy, it goes YBMEUHQVWSTLKGN. So W or higher (GPU eligible) is YBMEUHQVW while STLKGN is below W (not GPU eligible).
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:49 pm

flight attendants just calmed down zombie passengers; your boeing may end up here quickly; very wide seats, though luggage kan go nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.