Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
This is great news. So is the retraining (and I assume additional hiring of food prep and cleaning staff).

Please add another couple hundred bucks per location and upgrade to an industrial strength Wi-Fi system that works well anywhere in the Club. I'd rather have that than the Wi-Fi printing.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
That is great news. Wonder why it takes until the end of summer to change the menu at the other hubs such as EWR?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elg26
That is great news. Wonder why it takes until the end of summer to change the menu at the other hubs such as EWR?
I'm kind of curious as to why that's the case as well but the only thing I can think of is that they are going to have to rearrange storage/counters to house a lot of the food items. Meaning a lot of the clubs, especially the pmCO PClubs, were designed for somewhat shelf-stable food offerings hence why everything was packaged. Now you are going to have eggs, salads, soups, veggies needing to be properly stored. Or it could very well be that by rolling it out over time, there is a considerable amount of time allotted for a ramp up, which involves standardizing facilities and training. Though I can imagine the complaints that will ensue when you visit one club that has the full spread, and another is still serving carrots and ranch with packaged cheese.

That being said, its a welcome change, although I would hope that over time they will rotate items so that we aren't complaining about salami and hummus two years from now.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
I echo the sentiments of most. Great change and I might actually subscribe to the Club Card again! Good work United!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was skeptical, but this is great news. Thanks UA!

This menu makes the club much more competitive with other clubs. My plan is to get to ORD early today and test it out!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I'm kind of curious as to why that's the case as well but the only thing I can think of is that they are going to have to rearrange storage/counters to house a lot of the food items. Meaning a lot of the clubs, especially the pmCO PClubs, were designed for somewhat shelf-stable food offerings hence why everything was packaged. Now you are going to have eggs, salads, soups, veggies needing to be properly stored. Or it could very well be that by rolling it out over time, there is a considerable amount of time allotted for a ramp up, which involves standardizing facilities and training. Though I can imagine the complaints that will ensue when you visit one club that has the full spread, and another is still serving carrots and ranch with packaged cheese.

That being said, its a welcome change, although I would hope that over time they will rotate items so that we aren't complaining about salami and hummus two years from now.
Or....they need to go through completely their current food stock inventory...which means by June/July their bagels will be like hockey pucks
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
My lifetime membership just got a major upgrade!!!
+1. ^
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:22 am

my guess is it takes time for regulatory issues at each airport with security and different vendors to roll this out. In addition i'm sure not all the facilities are designed to handle this kind of food prep so renovations will need to happen as well as training and staff hiring to do this right
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj

Please add another couple hundred bucks per location and upgrade to an industrial strength Wi-Fi system that works well anywhere in the Club. I'd rather have that than the Wi-Fi printing.
I think they've done this for some of the clubs. The highest WiFi speed I've ever measured (outside of someone's home or a corporate location) was something like 80Mbps down and up - and this was in the SFO UC! Strong signal too..
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Use the summer for testing at ORD so Willis Tower folks can monitor? Then expand...? Delta did a similar thing
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Add self service soft drinks and this is starting to sound promising.
Originally Posted by revigik
Use the summer for testing at ORD so Willis Tower folks can monitor? Then expand...? Delta did a similar thing
You don't say....
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jp12687
my guess is it takes time for regulatory issues at each airport with security and different vendors to roll this out.
Not really. Same vendors and suppliers, just a different set of items on the order list.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not really. Same vendors and suppliers, just a different set of items on the order list.
I'm thinking there may be a difference between "pre-packaged" and "prepared" foods, and as such, health department protection money fees, inspections, etc. may be in order. Not to mention maybe installing electrical systems for the soup/oatmeal warmers, etc.

There's a lot more to running the show than any of us see ....
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Sounds close to the standard fare for the AC MLLs; wonder if they've been getting some advice.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Very positive news...and more Maple Leaf Lounge-ish, which is not a bad thing, in fact it's what we specifically asked for.

I do have a couple questions:

1. will other soup choices be rotated into to the mix? Or just garden vegetable every day? I understand and appreciate that vegetarian soups will satisfy the widest range of customers, but how about additional options, ie cream of mushroom, tomato, etc

2. what is the layout for the new products - will they be in sealed single-serve packaging, or in open bowls and trays similar to the leaked online photos? I know the decision-ship has probably sailed on this, but I would hope items are sealed, single-serve where possible, and bulk items will be covered with every possible attempt to keep dirty fingers, sneezes, coughs, etc away from food.

This is actually a key problem in MLLs where I've had to bark at people sticking their fingers into the pickle and olive trays and cookies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.