Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus Award (1k) Waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Question Mileage Plus Award (1k) Waitlist

The chosen date(s) of travel do not have any saver seats. As a 1k, would the best strategy be to book other dates where Saver is available and then wait list for the preferred dates and as a 1K, if it does not come work then cancel and get miles back.

Any disadvantages to this strategy?

Many thanks
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: 1k
Uh.

I guess the disadvantage is that you won't go on your trip.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by martusd
The chosen date(s) of travel do not have any saver seats. As a 1k, would the best strategy be to book other dates where Saver is available and then wait list for the preferred dates and as a 1K, if it does not come work then cancel and get miles back.

Any disadvantages to this strategy?

Many thanks
Need more details. What route are you looking at and what dates? You can always book a standard award and then get miles back should saver awards become available but hard to give good advice without details....
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
There is no benefit to booking a Saver award on dates you don't want to travel, to try to influence Saver availability on other dates.

On edit - booking off dates allows waiting listing per post 6

Last edited by LaserSailor; Mar 2, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
My apologies for not providing better clarity. The thought pattern is to book DEN-STT RT on two x one way saver awards and then wait list for the dates that I want.

The though behind this is if space becomes available, the wait list should clear first and opposed to checking multiple times per day.

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
There is no benefit to booking a Saver award on dates you don't want to travel, to try to influence Saver availability on other dates.
Not to influence availability, but to get a ticket in place and then to waitlist for the saver seats on the desired dates--something otherwise not possible, and checking repeatedly per day (since UA gave ExpertFlyer the boot) is not tenable.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by exerda
Not to influence availability, but to get a ticket in place and then to waitlist for the saver seats on the desired dates--something otherwise not possible, and checking repeatedly per day (since UA gave ExpertFlyer the boot) is not tenable.
...and I thank you for teaching me that. I understand the strategy now.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by martusd
My apologies for not providing better clarity. The thought pattern is to book DEN-STT RT on two x one way saver awards and then wait list for the dates that I want.

The though behind this is if space becomes available, the wait list should clear first and opposed to checking multiple times per day.

Thanks
Makes sense just know that EWR/IAD-STT business class saver availability is hard to come by but your strategy seems right on.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:12 am

Confirmed IN - can I waitlist O?

I am booked IN IAD-LAX with a waitlist for some better connections also in IN.
However, the LAX-SYD is IN too.
I would prefer first but it is sold out.
While the agent was happy to waitlist IN IAD-LAX, she told me she couldn't waitlist O LAX-SYD since I was confirmed IN.
She explained you could only waitlist for the class in which you were confirmed. I had requested an O waitlist LAX-SYD on the same day I had IN.
Is that accurate?

On the return, O looks like it could be tough to clear SYD-LAX. I am confirmed IN. Would they waitlist O for SYD-SFO?

Also, does UA ever offer buy-ups at online check in on free tickets from IN to first. I'm 1K if that matters.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chuck1
I am booked IN IAD-LAX with a waitlist for some better connections also in IN.
However, the LAX-SYD is IN too.
I would prefer first but it is sold out.
While the agent was happy to waitlist IN IAD-LAX, she told me she couldn't waitlist O LAX-SYD since I was confirmed IN.
She explained you could only waitlist for the class in which you were confirmed. I had requested an O waitlist LAX-SYD on the same day I had IN.
Is that accurate? ...
sort of a yes and no
Generally agents will let you waitlist only for the confirmed level of your award ticket. Some have been know to allow it for a higher class. One solution is to request to be booked at the higher level and get a refund if it finals. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html for more.

Originally Posted by chuck1
... Also, does UA ever offer buy-ups at online check in on free tickets from IN to first. I'm 1K if that matters.
yes but not guaranteed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.