Search

When will UA 747 have AVOD in Y ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
When will UA 747 have AVOD in Y ?

By some miracle I just found 4 Y awards in UA 900 in July

Looking on seat guru to help me avoid dicey seats, I noticed "no seat back TV in Y".

Can this really be true on TATL in 2015 ?!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would predict never. United is not investing in the Y product on the 747, and has actively been removing AVOD from other planes. The best you may eventually get is streaming video with BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxmin
By some miracle I just found 4 Y awards in UA 900 in July

Looking on seat guru to help me avoid dicey seats, I noticed "no seat back TV in Y".

Can this really be true on TATL in 2015 ?!
I doubt they will ever have seat back AVOD. They will have personal device streaming. And I think some do already, though not positive on that.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
UA is putting all its eggs into the "personal device video" basket. I'd say it's more likely they'll roll this out to the full fleet than add seatback video that'd be out of date a year after installing it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...al-device.html
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
BYOD is so much better than AVOD - so I am guessing never as well
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rankourabu
BYOD is so much better than AVOD - so I am guessing never as well
Subjective view. To each his own. I much prefer AVOD and think UA's slow uptake on next-gen IFE is ridiculous. I'm not buying an iPad solely to not be bored on United flights. Easier and cheaper to fly a competitor.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm not buying an iPad solely to not be bored on United flights. Easier and cheaper to fly a competitor.
Books work no matter who you fly...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:38 pm

UAL had intended to upgrade the 747s to the first generation PTV found in the 763 and 777 - First and Business were running the looped entertainment, and economy was already wired up halfway ....then the summer from hell happened, followed by 9/11, when the plans were shelved indefinitely. They considered putting AVOD during IPTE, but the capex was deemed exorbitant for a fleet type that they intended to retire in 2017. It would have required ordering over 7,000 physical new Y seats, along with rewiring the back. I never understood why Delta undertook retrofitting their 744s when they're retiring them even before United.

Last edited by tuolumne; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
UA 744s have streaming entertainment. They are in the process of very slowly installing power, which will allow you to watch the streaming entertainment on your laptop.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm not buying an iPad solely to not be bored on United flights. Easier and cheaper to fly a competitor.
Maybe this is just my surroundings, but who doesn't have an iPad by now? Also it works on iPhones and Androids, to my knowledge.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Maybe this is just my surroundings, but who doesn't have an iPad by now? Also it works on iPhones and Androids, to my knowledge.
Doesn't it work on laptops?

I'd assume the proportion of travellers who don't have a laptop is the minority.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Subjective view. To each his own. I much prefer AVOD and think UA's slow uptake on next-gen IFE is ridiculous. I'm not buying an iPad solely to not be bored on United flights. Easier and cheaper to fly a competitor.
So you don't own a smartphone, laptop, or tablet of any kind?

I'm thinking there's more to your flying the competition than simply AVOD.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
The 747 fleet is 100% complete for IFE/Wifi. It works brilliantly. I binge-watched Orange is the New Black all across the Pacific. There are tons of complete seasons of TV shows and movies- far more than any installed AVOD or other IFE I've seen.

My two cents: I'd rather UA spend $$ to install the server and storage needed for a huge library of items to watch than spend that same money installing hardware in backs of seats.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yes, it's just your surroundings. Most people do not have iPads.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
anything that will prevent the continual thumping of the back of my seat, esp on long haul, by morons who think their IFE is a punch screen not a touch screen is ok by me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.