Wiki Posts
Search

MP PIN - Options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
MP PIN - Options?

Tried to redeem some miles and was told I need a PIN. I have no recollection of ever setting a PIN and it's not in my vault. So, I don't know what it is.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?Mobile=1& indicates they will mail me a PIN. Of course, I need it now for some flights I'd like to take Sunday. There is a link for those who need the PIN within 24 hours. For $35 they will FAX it to you but that link leads to a dead link.

I'll be calling MP as soon as they open, but thought I'd ask around here for any recent experiences to help set my expectations.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:03 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Hi PATRLR,

The PIN that the agent referred to is the same PIN # that one uses to log into their MP account online at UA.com for checking one's mileage balance, etc. One has to give out this PIN when booking over the phone in order for the agent to access your account.

How have you been accessing your account as a 2P?

If one has loosed their PIN, one can supposedly get a new one through the UA website. Try doing through the regular website, not mobile.

I went through all the steps to the point of resetting mine, just to check it out, but I did not reset mine.
If one goes to the website to log in to their account, there is a link that you can click for if you forgot your PIN. One enters their MP number and one is taken through a series of security steps in order to get their PIN. You will reset it with a new one. I hope that helps.
Good luck.

I highly doubt that it will be given to you over the phone.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
MP PIN - Options?

Why not try resetting it?

Make sure you are fully logged out of your account, and click my account to get to the full sign in page. Under the password field, there should be a forgot PIN link. Click it, and fill out the info - IIRC, it should allow you to reset online.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - I very much appreciate it.

I should add a point of clarification. It appears that I can book award travel online after logging into my account with my password. But, I hold an Explorer card which entitles me to book any available seat with a Standard Award. The online award booking is not showing me all available flights, so, I need to talk to an agent to book the flights I want. The agent is the one asking for the PIN.

Originally Posted by mkr
The PIN that the agent referred to is the same PIN # that one uses to log into their MP account online at UA.com for checking one's mileage balance, etc.
How have you been accessing your account as a 2P?
I've never used a PIN. I log into my MP account and book paid travel using a password. The password is different from the PIN, to the best of my knowledge. Because I am actually trying to use miles (first time in years), I apparently need a PIN.
I went through all the steps to the point of resetting mine, just to check it out, but I did not reset mine.
Are you saying you went to this page: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...pinChange.aspx ? That page requires your PIN. Just for kicks I tried using the password I use when I log into my MP account and that wouldn't work. The PIN that page wants in limited to 4 characters and my password is longer than that.

If one goes to the website to log in to their account, there is a link that you can click for if you forgot your PIN. One enters their MP number and one is taken through a series of security steps in order to get their PIN. You will reset it with a new one. I hope that helps.
If there is a different page than the one I show above, I'd appreciate a pointer, I can't find any other option.
I highly doubt that it will be given to you over the phone.
I agree. It is my hope that they have a process to get it to me quicker than by snail mail.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Why not try resetting it?

Make sure you are fully logged out of your account, and click my account to get to the full sign in page. Under the password field, there should be a forgot PIN link. Click it, and fill out the info - IIRC, it should allow you to reset online.
Excellent suggestion - I hadn't noticed that one. But, alas, that will let me change my password, not my PIN.

Last edited by PATRLR; Feb 27, 2015 at 5:27 am Reason: Add calrification point
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Wow -

Called 800-421-4655, got to a MP agent, he asked me a few questions including my current account password (which I wasn't exactly pleased about), and then asked me a 4 digit PIN. Done.

Went to the web, confirmed the 4 digit PIN worked.

Nicely done UA.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Wait you can log into your account online using a 4-digit PIN? Then why on earth are we talking about password security? I mean, you can come up with a massively complex and long password and anyone can circumvent it by using your PIN?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Wait you can log into your account online using a 4-digit PIN? Then why on earth are we talking about password security? I mean, you can come up with a massively complex and long password and anyone can circumvent it by using your PIN?
Yes, that is correct.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
PIN came from Continental. Old UA had password-only, old CO originally had PIN, then added a password option. Merged system, aka CO dba UA, inherited that "PIN-primary" concept.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MarkXS
PIN came from Continental. Old UA had password-only, old CO originally had PIN, then added a password option. Merged system, aka CO dba UA, inherited that "PIN-primary" concept.
Correct however there have been "security issues" between United and "third party vendors" and access to MP accounts have had the username, email address and password log-in combinations removed and one is only allowed to log-in using their MP# and PIN or password

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html

And with that, I'll close this thread-please continue the discussion int he above mentioned thread

goalie
UA Form C0-Moderator

Last edited by goalie; Feb 27, 2015 at 5:58 pm Reason: clarified log in requirements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.