Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on New Premium Cabin Meals on United Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on New Premium Cabin Meals on United Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Baby steps...
Way back when (circa 2012), UA told us that ovens were going back into the Y galleys on the Airbus and sUA 757 fleets. As far as I know, that hasn't happened yet...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
without turning this into a flame war, do AA and DL have ovens in their RJ's? i ask because years ago when i was an explat, i remember the RJ's having full meals in F, but they were always cold (like full meal salads) because i don't remember them having ovens. curious if that's changed on the other side of the fence.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
without turning this into a flame war, do AA and DL have ovens in their RJ's?
As far as I know, there are no RJs operating for US carriers with ovens installed.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
As far as I know, there are no RJs operating for US carriers with ovens installed.
yeah I think at least in north america this is an Air Canada specific thing right? (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong )

food improvements sound good. 2 hour + flights on RJ still a little annoying but the e170/175 with wifi, pde, and good food might be fairly decent
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by ACVBear
food improvements sound good. 2 hour + flights on RJ still a little annoying but the e170/175 with wifi, pde, and good food might be fairly decent
this. so much this. i'm finding that more and more out of EWR and LGA i'm getting stuck on RJ's. also when i connect to the midwest through ORD i'm on RJ's as well. in a few months it looks like flying on these birds won't be... all that bad. i hope.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:48 pm

Hot meals are served on AC's RJs.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Definitely a welcomed step in the right direction, particularly on the 3+hr mid-con RJ flights. Thanks for posting UA Insider! ^

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
I had the misfortune of flying a United Express CRJ700 (operated by GoJet or some such contractor) from Cincinnati to Denver this morning - scheduled for 3 hours 20 minutes but perhaps it was a little shorter. Seemed like an eternity, however. Granted, I wasn't in the pitiful cabin called first class, but it was probably the worst flying experience I've ever had.

I cannot believe that those small coffin-like aircraft are used for anything longer than 90 minutes to 2 hours. 70-75 people on board an aircraft with only 1 toilet???? You have to be kidding me! To be honest, when my admin. assistant booked the flight, it didn't occur to me that a flight that long would be on an aircraft so marginal.

Thankfully, the flight from DEN to PDX (2 1/2 hours) was on a 'normal' 737-900 with real seats, real toilets, and a semblance of comfort, even in E+. United has truly sunk to new depths to put these cigar tubes on flights of this length. Never again.

And the United 'representative' is bragging about the new meals on flights of 2+ hours. OMG.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While I must disagree with your definition of "full meal" I must say this a big step in the right direction ^
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by rch4u
You could easily add ovens to the UAX fleet ...
Easy and airplanes will never occur.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I was on a short UAX flight yesterday afternoon and received a new version of the snack mix. If it is the "premium fruit and nut snack mix" then I am really disappointed in this "enhancement".

The thing was tiny...less then an ounce. It was mostly raisins with some sesame sticks and almonds...and I kid you not, one sliver of cashew.

The sesame sticks, which I usually like, were mushy due to be packaged with the fruit. Nuts did not taste very good either.

Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:57 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So - drinks will still be served in plastic cups? No real glasses???
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I'm in F on an E170 blocked at 1:22 on March 1. Looking forward to experiencing the offerings. ^
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pacman3
I had the misfortune of flying a United Express CRJ700 (operated by GoJet or some such contractor) from Cincinnati to Denver this morning - scheduled for 3 hours 20 minutes but perhaps it was a little shorter. Seemed like an eternity, however. Granted, I wasn't in the pitiful cabin called first class, but it was probably the worst flying experience I've ever had.

I cannot believe that those small coffin-like aircraft are used for anything longer than 90 minutes to 2 hours. 70-75 people on board an aircraft with only 1 toilet???? You have to be kidding me! To be honest, when my admin. assistant booked the flight, it didn't occur to me that a flight that long would be on an aircraft so marginal.

Thankfully, the flight from DEN to PDX (2 1/2 hours) was on a 'normal' 737-900 with real seats, real toilets, and a semblance of comfort, even in E+. United has truly sunk to new depths to put these cigar tubes on flights of this length. Never again.

And the United 'representative' is bragging about the new meals on flights of 2+ hours. OMG.
I do that route 20+ times a year. Why UA uses RegionalJets for INTERregional flights is beyond me. They are moving the evening flight later for some reason- that I don't like- but I would eat the meal because I'll miss dinner at home.

While I applaud the concept of the meals, there are only 6F seats on the plane and I rarely get the upgrade- and usually it is an RJ145, so no F- no meals.

I'd rather take a another row of F than meals, but that's me. I'm in DEN, so I just want to get home and eat with my family.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by pacman3

I 100 per cent agree...the real question here is why (aside from very specific flights) are RJs even used at ALL on 2h20m+ flights in the first place...I remember seeing the UA schedule and seeing some EWR and IAD to Mountain time zone cities and started laughing...why would ANYONE ever do that to themselves, especially on UA!!!

-jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.