Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:37 am

Hearing from a current UA employee that UA will be dropping STL and LAS. As with all rumors take it with a grain of salt.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:17 am
RNE

Originally Posted by 737MAX
Hearing from a current UA employee that UA will be dropping STL and LAS. As with all rumors take it with a grain of salt.
Eschatological.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Because UA's nonstop timings to LAS suck so bad, I just booked a coworker Southwest on the outbound and (gasp) Spirit on the return.

Funny thing is Spirit cost more than United with all the added on fees (yeah, I sprang the extra $35 for an exit row for the poor guy - all the "Big Front Seats" were gone)

Never thought I'd see the day when UA would drop service to LAS. They really blew it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by RNE
RNC.

Speaking of which, the city of Cleveland will be in the spotlight like never before. When all the pols are coming in for a landing at CLE, they'll see the city's skyline and its many skyscrapers. Both of them.
Incorrect, Delta's upgauge is not just for the RNC. The MSP upgauge begins in April and goes through the end of the schedule, with 2 daily mainlines during the summer months and 1 daily mainline during the rest of the schedule. DTW gets one daily mainline for the whole summer before going back to all regional for the fall schedule.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:46 am
RNE

Originally Posted by cleveland8
Incorrect, Delta's upgauge is not just for the RNC. The MSP upgauge begins in April and goes through the end of the schedule, with 2 daily mainlines during the summer months and 1 daily mainline during the rest of the schedule. DTW gets one daily mainline for the whole summer before going back to all regional for the fall schedule.
What? You're not pointing out I'm incorrect about only two skyscrapers?

RNE, confessing there are more. Three.

P.S. All the majors will ramp up flights to CLE (and even CAK) for the Convention.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by paule123
Because UA's nonstop timings to LAS suck so bad, I just booked a coworker Southwest on the outbound and (gasp) Spirit on the return.

Funny thing is Spirit cost more than United with all the added on fees (yeah, I sprang the extra $35 for an exit row for the poor guy - all the "Big Front Seats" were gone)

Never thought I'd see the day when UA would drop service to LAS. They really blew it.

To be fair, Johnny Football is leaving town, so the load factors on the LAS route are about to drop substantially.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
No surprise that UA is dropping STL. They weren't even trying, really.

But I am surprised if they drop LAS. Very popular route. But with WN flying that route and Spirit, I guess they couldn't take the heat and are planning to get out of the kitchen.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by plinth857
No surprise that UA is dropping STL. They weren't even trying, really.

But I am surprised if they drop LAS. Very popular route. But with WN flying that route and Spirit, I guess they couldn't take the heat and are planning to get out of the kitchen.
I mentioned the LAS route a few pages ago. The fares on that route are so low due to WN, F9, and Spirit on there. It's really hard for UA to compete on that route when a lot of the travel is by people looking for the lowest possible fare and its too far for an RJ.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by plinth857

That said, I think the growth of the city is being a little over-hyped.
This. As a former lifelong CLE resident, I don't doubt the city is seeing improvements but I think a lot of it is overhyped. They still have a long way to go and to fix the perceptions of CLE due to it's past. Being a visitor now, I am no longer in the "bubble" and if anything my perception of CLE has a whole has gone down since moving away...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
This. As a former lifelong CLE resident, I don't doubt the city is seeing improvements but I think a lot of it is overhyped. They still have a long way to go and to fix the perceptions of CLE due to it's past. Being a visitor now, I am no longer in the "bubble" and if anything my perception of CLE has a whole has gone down since moving away...
As I am still a resident, the improvements are undeniable. There is significant investment going on in multiple sites in and around Cleveland. Unfortunately, the airport is only receiving a token facelift as things move forward. But that's really to be expected. I'm most curious to see what will happen once AA moves to concourse C. Concourse A is going to look interesting; it will be fascinating to see if the low cost carriers shuffle things around over there.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Cant find NS to STL and LAS on schedule could be wrong...might be true.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
From The Plain Dealer:
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...t_nonstop.html
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
There's also F9 on the route as of April, going to get bloody.

But if UA pulls out I can definitely see AA or VX picking it up.
UA would drop LAS though before LAX.
Prediction fulfilled

So what's next? BOS? MKE? DCA? LAX?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Prediction fulfilled
You forgot the United Club.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:09 am

Prediction fulfilled

Is that your next prediction in that order?

Im in favor of aa picking up all the dca flights(connections plus avios reasons). aa to boston would be fine too (cx and jal connections) although not as likely considering competition. Mke is the lone monopoly route, probably sticking around due to corportate contracts. Id go with dca bos lax then mke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.