Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Empty F seats even with CPU [2015 forward]

Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Empty F seats even with CPU [2015 forward]

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by transportprof
I did look at the Upgrade tab in the terminal up until boarding, and the front cabin was shown as fully booked, and with all seats selected.

Your scenario of no-shows is the most plausible. I guess it's not shenanigans to leave these seats empty, but there was time to deal with this, as we left early.

It seems a shame to have a 319 go out with a quarter of the front cabin empty when there were at least a dozen people on the upgrade list, but I'm not sure whether it's worth writing in to United about this. Would this have any chance of making future practices more CPU friendly?
I would write in regardless of whether or not I was slated for the upgrade. Hopefully, UA will retrain the gate agent and reduce the # of occurrences of this happening.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by awu25
I would write in regardless of whether or not I was slated for the upgrade. Hopefully, UA will retrain the gate agent and reduce the # of occurrences of this happening.
I took your advice, and wrote to IK Voice last night. This is the core of their reply:

I did verify in our
report that the flight from SFO-YVR departed with a full First Class
cabin. The available seats you can view online are just seats that have
not been assigned and does not mean those seats are available for sale.
We do not assign advance seat assignments to every passenger in every
cabin.
Does this mean that people were seated in those two empty F seats without the UG list being used to assign the space? Remember that the seats were shown as occupied before boarding, and the F cabin was listed as fully booked and checked in.

If these seats got filled, but the space on the seat map was never assigned, I think my earlier concern about shenanigans is more likely.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Does this mean that people were seated in those two empty F seats without the UG list being used to assign the space?
No, it's a non-response.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I'm going to bet that 1K voice didn't notice that F was booked full but only 6 checked in. Since those two seats were showing as occupied before boarding, and available (with only 6 checked in) after the flight, it seems that two people did not show up for the flight. But, after that... I'm not sure. How could the system boot two people from the "checked-in" number and seat assignments but not the "booked full" number? Without knowing if those seats were physically empty, tough to say if the GA did anything about the fact that there were 2 no-shows or just let the flight go out that way....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
No CPU ran prior to flight-f goes out w empty seats, 1k in y

3915, ewr-RDU. F booked 4 of 6. I'm #1 on list, and GA too busy having a party with coworkers to run upgrade list.

I know its only a 1:30 flight, but I feel cheated.

Thoughts??
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
3915, ewr-RDU. F booked 4 of 6. I'm #1 on list, and GA too busy having a party with coworkers to run upgrade list.

I know its only a 1:30 flight, but I feel cheated.

Thoughts??
REPORT IT. This is inexcusable. It's not OK for a GA to fail to do their job regardless of how short the flight is.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Follow up

Sent an email stating the lack of upgrading. Requested downgrade compensation.

Received a response that CPU is a benefit that I wont always get, even with multiple empty seats. No compensation.

Replied asking again. Told nope!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Follow up

Sent an email stating the lack of upgrading. Requested downgrade compensation.

Received a response that CPU is a benefit that I wont always get, even with multiple empty seats. No compensation.

Replied asking again. Told nope!
Wow, that's really bad. I appreciate the guts of asking for downgrade compensation, but maybe a better thing to ask would be "please confirm whether it is UA policy to leave empty F seats and please also advise whether, if this is not official policy, you will retrain the relevant EWR gate gate staff."

Perhaps UA Insider can confirm whether it is now UA policy to skip the CPU list on ex-EWR flights if the gate agent is busy.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
CPU is false advertising. It really doesn't exist anymore. Every week I laugh when I look at the upgrade list and see that F is already full. AA doesn't have this problem. UA is so misleading with their CPU marketing. TOD $$ have filled the F cabin. FCM in full force.

The old days are long gone.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
In 2013 I was on a first class award ticket on an 737-900 from EWR-SAN on United. Out of the 20 First class seats only 2 where occupied me and one other passenger. This flight left EWR at 7:39pm according to my e-ticket.

I don't remember how full the flight was in Y but I do remember a couple people trying to walk into first and being sent away by the flight attendant.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by enviroian
CPU is false advertising. It really doesn't exist anymore. Every week I laugh when I look at the upgrade list and see that F is already full. AA doesn't have this problem. UA is so misleading with their CPU marketing. TOD $$ have filled the F cabin. FCM in full force.

The old days are long gone.
Yes they are long gone. I am 1/5 this year on eligible flights... and some of those are not business heavy routes. That's pitiful, considering my first year with UA (as a Platinum), I was better than 75% on upgrades... many on hub-hub routings. I can't even clear an RPU upgrade on DEN-AUS... that's pretty sad, folks.

I'm tired of seeing postings where people are left in Y with empty seats in F that were eligible on the upgrade list. I saw this only once, and it was because of lazy GA's in Chicago. I had cleared long prior to the gate, but still wrote into customer care about what I witnessed... they responded to me almost immediately that they would look into the situation and deal with it.

The best recourse when witnessing this happen is to write into CC.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Yes they are long gone. I am 1/5 this year on eligible flights... and some of those are not business heavy routes. That's pitiful, considering my first year with UA (as a Platinum), I was better than 75% on upgrades... many on hub-hub routings. I can't even clear an RPU upgrade on DEN-AUS... that's pretty sad, folks.
We got lucky last year. We were first on the upgrade list and already boarded when two in-uniform pilots were pulled out of F to man a plane. GA came and got us for the seats.

Another time we were the top two names but had to pass since there was only 1 seat. (DW is disabled) #3 got it and was very grateful

Agree RPUs are a joke.

I have sometimes seen one empty F seat in domestic, but not 2 in the last two years. YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Check out UA3682 ORD-CID today.... went out full in Y and only 1 in F .... something fishy here? I can't believe that there would be no Premier members on this flight except for the one measly upgrade..... I have never seen anything like this. I have been many times on a half full CRJ-700 and every seat in F is always taken.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Flew UA 5491 yesterday YUL-ORD. ERJ-175 There were 5 empty seats out of 12 in the FC cabin and a full load in the back. According to the upgrade list 3 were moved up. No one else on the waitlist. First time in 3 years I had no one next to me in FC.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by gmitchs
Flew UA 5491 yesterday YUL-ORD. ERJ-175 There were 5 empty seats out of 12 in the FC cabin and a full load in the back. According to the upgrade list 3 were moved up. No one else on the waitlist. First time in 3 years I had no one next to me in FC.
Was the flight oversold? I would be especially surprised if they VDB'ed people while first class seats remained empty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.