Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:33 pm

I'd also be surprised if there were 48 Premiers on this route.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I'd also be surprised if there were 48 Premiers on this route.
I wouldn't, to be honest. It only takes two trips to the mainland from Guam to make Silver, and Guam residents are exempt from PQD requirements.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
I wouldn't, to be honest. It only takes two trips to the mainland from Guam to make Silver, and Guam residents are exempt from PQD requirements.
Bingo! United has claimed that Guam had one of their largest (I guess per capita) elite loads than other bases. Because you have to travel far, and must travel to get somewhere, people use United a lot. That may have changed when Delta came in and cannibalized the United customer base after this flight went to a domestic 777.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
GUM-MNL CPU list

Just a data point regarding the number of elites flying through GUM. For my GUM-MNL and MNL-GUM flights last weekend, the lists had about 20 people (on 737-700 and 737-800). I was number 1 on both lists as 1K. I guess that there are a lot of silvers and golds going through GUM from MNL. For the NRT-GUM flight, the list was much shorter. Most of them were Japanese tourists. The business cabin was well sold out with very few upgrades.
Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Good news? RPU eligible for HNL-GUM

One of my reservations with HNL-GUM segment was just upgraded with a RPU. This is great news. I guess that the common sense prevails at UA. However, it is not RPU eligible for another reservations. This is perhaps a false alarm.
Happy travels.

Edit: I do not remember that I ever received a call from United agents before this week. An agent called me multiple times regarding this reservation. The first call occurred a day before I received the updated itinerary with the upgraded HNL-GUM flight. I will add another update after my trip. Keep my finger crossed.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 12, 2017 at 8:19 pm Reason: Add phone calls from a UA agent
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kmxu
One of my reservations with HNL-GUM segment was just upgraded with a RPU. This is great news. I guess that the common sense prevails at UA. However, it is not RPU eligible for another reservations. This is perhaps a false alarm.
Happy travels.
How did you apply/clear it? I'm pretty sure the computer codes Hawaii-Oceana (believe HNL-GUM and HNL-MAJ are the only eligible flights) as GPU required.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
One of my reservations with HNL-GUM segment was just upgraded with a RPU. This is great news. I guess that the common sense prevails at UA. However, it is not RPU eligible for another reservations....
So what is it? Is HNL-GUM-HNL RPU eligible or not?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
So what is it? Is HNL-GUM-HNL RPU eligible or not?
It was a temporary glitch, as title suggests.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
It was a temporary glitch, as title suggests.
Glitch as in RPU should not have worked (GPU required)?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
Glitch as in RPU should not have worked (GPU required)?
Yes
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:58 pm

RPU eligible on flight from HNL to GUAM?

Sorry i know that i am eligible within the islands but not sure if that HNL to Guam counts? Sorry for the newbie question.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Sorry i know that i am eligible within the islands but not sure if that HNL to Guam counts? Sorry for the newbie question.
UA still explicitly states HNL-GUM is not CPU or RPU eligible. And while there was a short period of time a few years were RPUs work, all recent reports are this route is not CPU or RPU eligible.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, currently HNL to anything west of the Hawaiian Islands requires a GPU (to NRT, GUM, and MAJ/KWA/KSA/PNI/TKK).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:46 pm

In the past when applying a RPU for my SFO/HNL/GUM/MNL, on a 'K' fare, I was able to apply ONE RPU to upgrade the 1st & 3rd segments. I was not able to apply online, like I did in the past,
so I called the 1K line for help and an agent and a supervisor told me it's not possible unless I use TWO RPU's! Is this a recent change?

Mods , if this is the wrong thread, please move to the appropriate one.

Last edited by sf4dfish; Dec 4, 2018 at 2:48 pm Reason: maybe wrong thread?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sf4dfish
In the past when applying a RPU for my SFO/HNL/GUM/MNL, on a 'K' fare, I was able to apply ONE RPU to upgrade the 1st & 3rd segments. I was not able to apply online, like I did in the past,
so I called the 1K line for help and an agent and a supervisor told me it's not possible unless I use TWO RPU's! Is this a recent change?

Mods , if this is the wrong thread, please move to the appropriate one.
You can still do it, but good luck finding an agent that knows the drill. Took me about 5 calls last week to apply one RPU for SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.