Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Digital Redesign Update: Beta of new united.com site publicly available for all

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
13 May 2015 Update -- publicly available link (no sign up required) -- https://beta.united.com/ual/en/us/

also see Next steps for the new united.com
Has instruction about how to force the use of the beta or traditional site.
Print Wikipost

Digital Redesign Update: Beta of new united.com site publicly available for all

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Am I the only one who wishes that first class saver awards has a different color than business class saver awards?

Why do those awards need to share the same color on the award calendar?
I brought this up during the 2012 DO and the answer gives was that they weren't going to make a change like that until the United.com redesign.

Alas business and first are still the same color on the new site.

Though the lack of a nonstop calendar display option is far more irksome.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I've complained about this before but now it's just gotten ridiculous. I've provided this feedback twice now via the feedback form with specific examples. Not that I expect UA to change the new site overnight but...

My biggest pet peeve with this new site so far is the search results are always defaulting to "Best Matches". Again, I ask...who the he** decides what the best match is? It should never be left to a programmer who is not a traveler! The default, each and every single time, should be "Price (Low to High)". Or, better yet, the site should remember your last sort criteria and use that until changed again by the user. Anyway, each and every search results page defaults to "Best Match" so even if you sort the outbound by Price it will re-sort the return flights as "Best Match", forcing the user to re-select "Price (Low to High)". Very frustrating.

But here's the worst part...in searching for SEA-China in March and using "Best Match" it lists five options that require an overnight in SFO before continuing on to China. The sixth option is the only flight out of SEA that connects to the China flight with a 1.5 hour layover. This requires no overnight. Oh, and it's cheaper!!

I hope many of you are also providing your feedback about this ridiculous default search sort criteria. Maybe some of you like it but I have yet to find any purpose for it. And if you're a conspiracy theorist then maybe you believe UA is forcing it to "Best Match" because users are dumb and will take the first flight option they see, not realizing there are far better connections/prices/etc. Equals more money for UA. (I'm not saying I believe this).

Please fix this ASAP UA. The new website offers some very nice features over the old site but this is a gaping hole that needs to be filled before you consider going live IMO.

-RM
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How can folks interested (not a part of the old preview group) gain access to the Beta site?
As well as people who WERE part of the original preview group...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
As well as people who WERE part of the original preview group...
Have you tried sending a message to Beta Insider?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
... The sixth option is the only flight out of SEA that connects to the China flight with a 1.5 hour layover. This requires no overnight. Oh, and it's cheaper!! ...
I suggested last week (via the feedback link) that an additional sort criterion be added: Connection Time.

I agree that the last-selected sort method should be remembered (at least as an option).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I am not a part of the beta testing group, and at this point, I am OK with that. I am just pleased that something new is really in the works.

I am looking forward to the public release - whenever it is ready. Hopefully soon!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've complained about this before but now it's just gotten ridiculous. I've provided this feedback twice now via the feedback form with specific examples. Not that I expect UA to change the new site overnight but...

My biggest pet peeve with this new site so far is the search results are always defaulting to "Best Matches". Again, I ask...who the he** decides what the best match is? It should never be left to a programmer who is not a traveler! The default, each and every single time, should be "Price (Low to High)". Or, better yet, the site should remember your last sort criteria and use that until changed again by the user. Anyway, each and every search results page defaults to "Best Match" so even if you sort the outbound by Price it will re-sort the return flights as "Best Match", forcing the user to re-select "Price (Low to High)". Very frustrating.

But here's the worst part...in searching for SEA-China in March and using "Best Match" it lists five options that require an overnight in SFO before continuing on to China. The sixth option is the only flight out of SEA that connects to the China flight with a 1.5 hour layover. This requires no overnight. Oh, and it's cheaper!!

I hope many of you are also providing your feedback about this ridiculous default search sort criteria. Maybe some of you like it but I have yet to find any purpose for it. And if you're a conspiracy theorist then maybe you believe UA is forcing it to "Best Match" because users are dumb and will take the first flight option they see, not realizing there are far better connections/prices/etc. Equals more money for UA. (I'm not saying I believe this).

Please fix this ASAP UA. The new website offers some very nice features over the old site but this is a gaping hole that needs to be filled before you consider going live IMO.

-RM
I just asked them to allow us the option of selecting our own default setting. I also asked them to delete "best match," and if they weren't going to keep it, at least explain the criteria underlying the conclusion.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Portolan
I won't recount all that I've provided feedback on (many already posted by others), but not the most glaring: the web address shouldn't be beta.united.com, it should be alpha.united.com!
In an industry following newsletter, the term Closed Beta was used to describe UA's new release. Also, for those wondering, the author indicated that there are approx 5000 people that have been given access.

Originally Posted by mduell
From the feedback here it sounds like beta, working out bugs. Alpha is feature-incomplete.
Indeed. Closed Beta also described that link

Last edited by xzh445; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Found another nasty bug and submitted to UA. The website is not displaying the red "mixed cabin" warning message when partner flights are included in the search results. Doing a SEA-PEK search and the return options include OZ PEK-ICN and then UA ICN-SFO-SEA. Under the business class column there's no warning that the PEK-ICN segment is economy on OZ. Users believe they are getting a business class ticket all the way through because you can no longer see fare class information readily - you have to make additional clicks to see this information by looking under 'details'.

-RM
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Found another nasty bug and submitted to UA. The website is not displaying the red "mixed cabin" warning message when partner flights are included in the search results. Doing a SEA-PEK search and the return options include OZ PEK-ICN and then UA ICN-SFO-SEA. Under the business class column there's no warning that the PEK-ICN segment is economy on OZ. Users believe they are getting a business class ticket all the way through because you can no longer see fare class information readily - you have to make additional clicks to see this information by looking under 'details'.

-RM
This must be an intermittent bug, because I've seen the mixed cabin warning - most recently on a route I researched two days ago.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes, I know what United call it...

Originally Posted by xzh445
In an industry following newsletter, the term Closed Beta was used to describe UA's new release. Also, for those wondering, the author indicated that there are approx 5000 people that have been given access.

Indeed. Closed Beta also described that link
But I was describing its actual state.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Have you tried sending a message to Beta Insider?
Since he's posted, yes. I had sent one to UA Insider before that with no response

Originally Posted by Portolan
But I was describing its actual state.
Do you truly believe that a beta release won't have bugs?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Since he's posted, yes. I had sent one to UA Insider before that with no response

Do you truly believe that a beta release won't have bugs?
No, but it is the Alpha definition for an incomplete product I was focusing on. Many, many features just shell out to the old site. It is a long way from feature complete.

I'd settle for a consistently appearing Log Out option. Only appears on selective pages (not including the home screen).

My point all along is that in normal alpha testing, they have a virtually complete interface but haven't explored all the rabbit holes we can go down. The latter is, appropriately, a wider beta testing phase.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:11 am

Other cosmetic bugs seems to be popping up? I now have checked in flights showing up kinda weird (atleast on Google Chrome)...

Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Beta / Preview website issues

I have searched for the post regarding Beta / Preview website issues but I have not found one.

I just purchased ticket using it, and what a disappointment.
Most of the issues I encountered on were on the payment page.

- If you selected to purchase economy + seats you don't have an option to pay with UA travel cert or travel bank

- I had to remove economy + selection before these options were shown

- PayPal payment also appears to be gone

- Click to call agent doesn't generate reference to provide to the agent:
"Please provide the representative with the following confirmation number: Not Available."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.